You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much do you stick in a wedding card?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

One of the hotels I was working at back in the day in Westport, if we had a wedding below 350 it was considered a "small" wedding

I am always amazed by Irish weddings in comparison to over here. Over here I regularly see wedding parties of ten or fifteen people who just go to the pub for a few drinks and a bite to eat, it seems so much more normal. I guess it is the 'Catholic' legacy where we overindulge in the sacraments.

Was at a wedding in Colchester a few years back.

Church then the local community centre. BYOB. Over to Tesco express, trolley load of gargle. Wheels locked on trolley as we exited. Already had a feed of pints and feeling humorous we picked the yoke up and brought it into the Hall with us and sat beside us at the table. Pour your own jägers etc. Ice bags etc.

It was that type of wedding. Classy affair

I’d say the whole lot cost the bride and groom 2k. There was money spent nowhere. Grub was platters of deep fried usuals.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

One of the hotels I was working at back in the day in Westport, if we had a wedding below 350 it was considered a "small" wedding

I am always amazed by Irish weddings in comparison to over here. Over here I regularly see wedding parties of ten or fifteen people who just go to the pub for a few drinks and a bite to eat, it seems so much more normal. I guess it is the 'Catholic' legacy where we overindulge in the sacraments.

Church then the local community centre. BYOB. Over to Tesco express, trolley load of gargle. Wheels locked on trolley as we exited. Already had a feed of pints and feeling humorous we picked the yoke up and brought it into the Hall with us and sat beside us at the table. Pour your own jägers etc. Ice bags etc.

I’d say the whole lot cost the bride and groom 2k. There was money spent nowhere. Grub was platters of deep fried usuals.
That sounds like what I'm going to do! Excellent! Colchester is a sh*thole though!
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Cash bar at wedding. Discuss.

A wedding in Ireland should be cash bar only.Give a round or 3 free if you want.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:18pm

That sounds like what I'm going to do! Excellent! Colchester is a sh*thole though!

Fecked if id be putting 200e in a card for this sh*te. Eating iceland chicken dippers and drinking cans, seriously?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by cardwizzard cardwizzard wrote:

Fecked if id be putting 200e in a card for this sh*te. Eating iceland chicken dippers and drinking cans, seriously?
If someone put 200e in a card at mine then they would get i back in the post. We're not a charity, I find the whole notion absurd.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:21pm
I think you missed the point. When it's that sort of wedding there is no expectation for large cash gifts. It's become an industry. Large expensive wedding funded by the guests. Industry and couple are laughing as guests are gobsh*tes
AKA pedantic kunt
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:21pm
Fair enough so
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

@ Doc ... How much was in the card
Put 100 in the card but worth every penny, a super dinner and finger food and sambos later with a few free gargles the only thing was it was the first and only time I paid for me hole
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

A wedding in Ireland should be cash bar only.Give a round or 3 free if you want.

Is that to do with punters at weddings not being trusted to be respectful with an open bar?
I've always just found it strange that in Ireland we seem
To object to things like registries, but not to cash bars and "afters".
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:44pm

Is that to do with punters at weddings not being trusted to be respectful with an open bar?

You bring 200 to a wedding here and have an open bar it will be carnage.I was at one open bar all night, I'd say they are still paying it off ten years later.

BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:55pm

In most other countries hotels offer open bar at set price per person. Like 10 quid per head per hour. Nowhere in Ireland offers that type of arrangement so the couple take a huge and stupid gamble if you do an open bar.
Team Emmet
ringerbell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringerbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 1:56pm

You bring 200 to a wedding here and have an open bar it will be carnage.I was at one open bar all night, I'd say they are still paying it off ten years later.

Yeah was at one last year and they had an open bar for the 1st hour and people were just taking the piss ordering double whiskey etc after finding out it was free and had 5 or 6 in the hour

Would of been carnage if it was free all night
the closest i will ever come to playing for ireland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_7w4JyvI4
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:02pm
Personally, I find it interesting as I've been to weddings all over the world, and it only seems at home that we can't be trusted with an open bar. It almost flies in the face of the way it's done internationally.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:11pm
FFS last orders in a boozer and it's f**king mayhem.

Open bar at a wedding is a recipe for disaster, as the guests would be absolutely milking it and the inevitable would happen, and that is people falling all over the place.

I'd be partial to a few Monkey 47's myself, but at nearly 15e a pop, I'd be drinking at least 4 an hour.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

FFS last orders in a boozer and it's f**king mayhem.

Open bar at a wedding is a recipe for disaster, as the guests would be absolutely milking it and the inevitable would happen, and that is people falling all over the place.

I'd be partial to a few Monkey 47's myself, but at nearly 15e a pop, I'd be drinking at least 4 an hour.

But I don't see that at weddings. I understand that not all weddings are the same, but I have been to numerous with open bars and this doesn't happen.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:21pm

is the correct answer - free bar - recipe for disaster more money than sense

Mate got married in Aberdeen - 4 of us at the wedding and 2 of them were the bride and groom
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:21pm
What is this cash/open bar all about? Explain in detail.

If I'm guessing correctly, bag o cans your only man
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

is the correct answer - free bar - recipe for disaster more money than sense

Mate got married in Aberdeen - 4 of us at the wedding and 2 of them were the bride and groom

And you still didn't buy a round :)

Edited by Baldrick - 24 Sep 2017 at 2:46pm
AKA pedantic kunt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 33>
  Share Topic