You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much do you stick in a wedding card?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

If people are only invited to the evening party of a wedding do they normally bring a present/money
If so how much?
no gift/cash in that senario

Correct
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:13pm
I wouldn't bother going to evening part of a wedding.I have been asked to a few but never bother with them,they either want you at the whole lot or not.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Now we were invited to a wedding and could not make it as we were at an away game ( Family ish ) , we still had to send €150 is that fair . Now a lad at work maybe getting tied down if i can't make this one do i still need to throw in cash ?

Why the f**k would you give €150 as a present to a wedding you couldn't attend
Family ish like i said , we had a vote on it the wife was in the chair and she said pay it .
Never what to be mean really .

You were outvoted in a vote of two people )
AKA pedantic kunt
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:31pm
If a lad has a stag abroad (Newcastle/Vegas etc) and then has the wedding abroad (Spain/Italy etc), they can FRO if they expect a present, a note should be put in with the invitation saying no need for a present as u have already forked out for flights and a bottle of Factor 20.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

If a lad has a stag abroad (Newcastle/Vegas etc) and then has the wedding abroad (Spain/Italy etc), they can FRO if they expect a present, a note should be put in with the invitation saying no need for a present as u have already forked out for flights and a bottle of Factor 20.

my mates had their wedding abroad (Portugal Villamoura) so was about €800-1000 or close too it for flights and hotel for week. We and the mates who went initially said we wouldn't give anything as we'd spent all that money going over for it. but two days before wedding they had this massive BBQ which must have cost them a fortune so so we all agree to put 100 quid into the wedding cards

Edited by lassassinblanc - 19 Sep 2017 at 9:48pm
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 9:55pm
A mate of mine was invited to his cousins wedding ... she had to trim back the list as the cost was going past the budget . She approached him and politely pointed out that she had to cut back the list and hope he understood . His reply was ah f**k it anyway and I have the card wrote out n all at home with 200 notes in it ! He said the look on her face was worth €500
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 11:07pm

I wouldn't bother going to evening part of a wedding.I have been asked to a few but never bother with them,they either want you at the whole lot or not.

I'm not a fan of evening invitations. Occasionally, you will come across a very well managed evening party where the evening guests will be treated to a glass of champagne on arrival, the first of the evening food will be put out, and the cake will have been cut and distributed, and there will remain a few quid behind the bar for a glass of red wine, or a pint of Guinness. They will arrive when the meal has been finished, and the last vestiges of it have been cleaned away. 

However, more often than not it will be miscalculated, and the evening guests will arrive while the dinner is not over and the speeches are still ongoing. They will stand awkwardly in the doorway while the speech makers fumble through their duties, occasionally relying on the guests imbibing of the wine to heighten the laugh factor. Then, the evening guests will be pointed towards the cash bar, and try and to match those who have been there all day. No guarantee of nibbles, or evening food. Just the pleasure of showing up for the candid photos.

Ireland is one country where the concept of "afters" is tolerated more than others, and I'll never understand it. And like you Rossieman, I will generally decline.
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 11:36pm
A group of us were invited to an afters once. Didnt like the prick but we said we woukd go. Arrived on time and headed into the function room were we took our seats. Best man(another clown) asks us to leave as the speeches werent done with. Lucky enough our mini bus driver was still in the carpark we got out of there and headed elsewere. Should have stayed as there was drama later. The groom was ridin some other moth a d she gate crashed and caused a commotion.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 11:37pm
Holy f**k
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 7:12am
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Now we were invited to a wedding and could not make it as we were at an away game ( Family ish ) , we still had to send €150 is that fair . Now a lad at work maybe getting tied down if i can't make this one do i still need to throw in cash ?

Why the f**k would you give €150 as a present to a wedding you couldn't attend
Family ish like i said , we had a vote on it the wife was in the chair and she said pay it .
Never what to be mean really .
Murph have you been over states side yet ? if so how did you's get on ?
Yer it all went to plan really as you know Vegas is Vegas but San Diego was outstanding very much worth a trip I must say .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 8:05am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

A group of us were invited to an afters once. Didnt like the prick but we said we woukd go. Arrived on time and headed into the function room were we took our seats. Best man(another clown) asks us to leave as the speeches werent done with. Lucky enough our mini bus driver was still in the carpark we got out of there and headed elsewere. Should have stayed as there was drama later. The groom was ridin some other moth a d she gate crashed and caused a commotion.

Droggers 😂😂
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:10am
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

I know a lad who invited his girlfriend to his wedding.All was fine until she got pissed and started telling people she was riding the groom .

Some great stuff goes on at weddings ,can't beat a bit of a scrap between the in laws
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:14am
In fact, I know somebody who got "day invitations" as opposed to "evening invitations". The result was the same in that they didn't get dinner, Instead they didn't get the cash bar and the DJ, but they did get the Church service.

You hear some absolute gems of wedding stories, and I'm always glad to hear them.

Edited by Het-field - 20 Sep 2017 at 9:15am
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:27am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fact, I know somebody who got "day invitations" as opposed to "evening invitations". The result was the same in that they didn't get dinner, Instead they didn't get the cash bar and the DJ, but they did get the Church service.

You hear some absolute gems of wedding stories, and I'm always glad to hear them.

why would you invite someone to the wedding but not the afters ???

I get not inviting people to wedding its self if they aren't close friends family etc. but the above is just stupid
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I get not inviting people to wedding its self if they aren't close friends family etc. but the above is just stupid

because a lot of people are ****s 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

because a lot of people are ****s 

LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:58am
Weddings can make people weird and their choices reflect that. All I can say, it wasn't a good idea and friendships were compromised.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2017 at 10:09am

Likewise. I can vaguely remember a thread in the Whatever section that featured a host of outstanding stories - I can't remember which thread it was though! It could have even been a thread about best men speeches that morphed into a general wedding debacle one but it was amazing. If some kind gent can recall this thread and wanted to give it an aul bump that would be great. Thumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 33>
  Share Topic