You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How many units of alcohol would you consume a week
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many units of alcohol would you consume a week

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Binge drinking.

Think about it though - you have 5 pints 2 twice a week, you'll be grand the next day.

You have 10 pints on a Saturday night and you'll be in some heap the next day.

How does that make binge drinking healthier?

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Binge drinking.

Think about it though - you have 5 pints 2 twice a week, you'll be grand the next day.

You have 10 pints on a Saturday night and you'll be in some heap the next day.

How does that make binge drinking healthier?

“Or perhaps I should say worse”
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 1:59pm
Ah right, I was going by the opening question "Which is healthier?"
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 2:30pm
A lot of the weeks done in college would be fairly mad intake . A few weeks this year we might have went out on the Monday or Tuesday night so usually 8 cans which is 24 us a few bottles in the night club say 6 by 1.5 is 9. The same again on the Thursday night so that’s 66 for the two nights out. Few pints then on the other nights that we wouldn’t head out so 3 nights in the pub with at least 4 pints so that’s another 36. That’s conservative enough too as we would go to watch the games on most evenings so would be in the pub from 7 until at least 10 and staying on until close a lot. That’s 102 units. Obviously that’s not every week but standard if we have no exams/assignments in that given week. That would be common for must of the other students I know too.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 2:32pm
Cans are usually 500ml and a pint is 568 ml - cans would be 2 units.

Unless your on the Tennants Super or Carlsberg special brew - if so, you have bigger issues!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:01pm
Usually drink about 4 500ml bottles on Friday, 8 500ml bottles on Saturday and maybe one weekday another 4. Normally go for beers with a 5.2% - 6.5% ABV. So no more than 40 units it would seem. 
That would just be at home on me tod, if there is a specific night out or event then a bit higher. 

Ideally cut out the 4 on a Friday and midweek and cut the Saturday down to 4-5. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 15 Jan 2019 at 3:02pm
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 3:36pm
There is a fair bit of client entertainment involved in my job so i was drinking 3-5 days a week last year Dead Really felt it twords the back end of the year.

Joined a PT gym in january and have tried to knock it right down to 1-2 days a week. Going cold turkey and giving drink the boot completely doesnt work  IMO but im making effort to scale it right back 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:32pm

Unless your on the Tennants Super or Carlsberg special brew - if so, you have bigger issues!

my intake is mostly cans,so my total would be lower than I calculated originally Big smile
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2019 at 4:38pm
There was a programme on BBC4 about binge versus spaced out drinking and which was healthier.  I meant to watch it but forgot so that's why I asked.

It might actually be worse to space out the drinks. I am open to correction. The reason being I have heard previously that your liver needs time with no alcohol to recover.  So if you are having a couple of pints a day for 7 days = circa 28-30 units but you are exposing your liver to alcohol everyday.

Where as a binge gets it out of the way with maybe 6 days recovery.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

There was a programme on BBC4 about binge versus spaced out drinking and which was healthier.  I meant to watch it but forgot so that's why I asked.

It might actually be worse to space out the drinks. I am open to correction. The reason being I have heard previously that your liver needs time with no alcohol to recover.  So if you are having a couple of pints a day for 7 days = circa 28-30 units but you are exposing your liver to alcohol everyday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wdfhk

I saw it, and was gonna start a thread on it. It was a Horizon programme. There was two twin doctors around 37. They both went off the drink for a month. Got tested. Their livers were completely normal (which shows how quickly it recovers). They'd be normal enough drinkers bit of wine/beers during the week and go out at the weekend and have a few on one of the nights.

One brother had to binge drink 21 units in one sitting. The other drank the exact same amount but spread out evenly over the 7 days. This was over the course of a month. Was quite funny as yer man was bollixed.

Binge drinking was definititely way worse. But there was loads of levels where they were the exact same and it wasn't good. They were both shocked at how much damage either option did. 

I'm trying to think what numbers I would be racking up when I was in my 20s LOL. I'd say there was many a 100 units weeks 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:27pm
Imagine counting up the units from Euro 2012 or Euro 2016 !
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Imagine counting up the units from Euro 2012 or Euro 2016 !

LOLLOLDead

14+ days drinking heavy every day wouldnt be long added up to triple figures 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:50pm
Would anybody have a European diet -
Maybe a glass of wine with Lunch and 2 with the evening meal 7 days a week - but never getting drunk or binge drinking?

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wdfhk

I saw it, and was gonna start a thread on it. It was a Horizon programme. There was two twin doctors around 37. They both went off the drink for a month. Got tested. Their livers were completely normal (which shows how quickly it recovers). They'd be normal enough drinkers bit of wine/beers during the week and go out at the weekend and have a few on one of the nights.

One brother had to binge drink 21 units in one sitting. The other drank the exact same amount but spread out evenly over the 7 days. This was over the course of a month. Was quite funny as yer man was bollixed.

Binge drinking was definititely way worse. But there was loads of levels where they were the exact same and it wasn't good. They were both shocked at how much damage either option did. 

I'm trying to think what numbers I would be racking up when I was in my 20s LOL. I'd say there was many a 100 units weeks 

A nice Idea and interesting and good pop science but with a sample size of two hardly proves anything really beyond the impact on the two lads. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:04pm
Well that's fairly obvious and they state this clearly in it, and do a little bit of drink testing on some other people, some have better livers for processing alcohol than others. 

Still interesting results and to watch 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 12:13pm

Was wondering exactly what constitutes a unit.

Would be 4 or 5 (max) cans on a Friday, if I'm out gigging on a Saturday I'd have 4-5 pints (max) though some gigs I'd drive to and if watching a midweek match three cans.  So I'd say I'm averaging 13 cans (Guinness)/pints a week.  Woulda been more over Christmas obviously.

So between 25 and 30 units would if it's 2 units a can.  Could be worse I suppose.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 5:37pm
If a pint is 568ml and = 3 units and a can is 500ml it's not gonna be 2 units lads
But when a can is 6% and a pint is 4.2%. You'd need the wisdom of Solem to figure it out. So why bother? 

Best to go on the lash with me and my expenses account and nothing but the fanciest restaurants of course, and have you seen my girlfriend she is deadly I swear to you 
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2019 at 7:12pm
to work out units of alcohol in a drink:

Number of ml in the drink multiplied by alcohol percentage. Then divide that total by 1000.

And spacing out your drinks over at least 3 days in the week is advised. Definitely considered healthier than binge drinking according to current guidelines.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic