You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How many away games have you been to?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by craiglen craiglen wrote:

Things must be bad with the lockdown when you have people coming in here to argue over how sh*te the weather was in France four years back LOL

Did a count there, think I'm on 26, first was Poznan 2012, permanently hooked since, 27 if you count Cork.
If you counted Cork then all non Dublin fans would have to count home matches as away matches!
I did about ten years straight of matches in Dublin, including friendlies to keep the tickets going. An international friendly in Dublin on a Tuesday night! No wonder I was always f**king depressed! 

got the train up and down for the Denmark match. you don't get home nearly till 2am. playing games on a monday, tuesday wednesday night should be less. FAI seem to love it when negotiating the fixtures. 

The FAI don’t negotiate competitive fixture lists. That’s long gone. Every country is going to want to get games on a Saturday night in any case, even Delaney’s FAI !
Sponsored Links

kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Paris 04 was the biggest I've seen even probably allowing for tournament games.  Maybe more there for the Sweden game if you count those without tickets.  There must have been 40K there in 04.  

Portugal in the rain at the stadium of light had a massive away crowd too
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:35am

Paris 04 was the biggest I've seen even probably allowing for tournament games.  Maybe more there for the Sweden game if you count those without tickets.  There must have been 40K there in 04.  

How come there was so many there for that match? 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:33am
Celtic Tiger
French not giving a sh*t about their team 
Big stadium.  
Tickets on sale online during euro 2004 if I remeber correctly 
Return of roy keane created hype too for the spanners who took a side in the civil war.  I.e. many corkies 

Edited by Baldrick - 01 May 2020 at 6:33am
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

I was in Anfield and Paris but I still reckon our largest support ever was V Italy Giants Stadium. Must have been 25/30 thousand Paddies from every corner of world there that day.
Great Memories I just hope we see them again.

And the ironic thing is given it was New York it was fully expected that we'd be outnumbered by the Italians
The Italians bought tickets before the draw then luck would have it they found out that the old country was in New Jersey .
 What happened next one might say , well they only went and sold their tickets on mass for profit to the Irish . LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

In answer to a few posts.

A couple of friends have been going since the early 70's.

France 73 was probably the start of large away crowd.  Hundreds went.  ditto for Berne 75 and most went overland.  Paris 76 saw a couple of thousand.  A decent crowd went to Bulgaria in 77 but very few in 79.  Wembley 80 had decent support (my Dad went without me).  

Travel really took off for the 82 campaign.  I remember listening to Cyprus away on the radio and loads of Irish soldiers were there.  Paris, Brussels and Rotterdam were all accessible then albeit overland for most.  It was at least 24 hours travelling to reach Rotterdam in 1981.  Support was huge in those days.  We had big support long before Jack arrived.  Football was also the most played sport in the country before Jack took over.         

Istanbul 91 was scary.  Loads with tickets locked out.  I was lucky to get in.  Afterwards we were attacked.  Even the under-21 game the day before was hairy.  Bursa 99 was a great trip.  No issues at all.  

Prior to the 70's away travel was difficult and expensive.  A few hundred took the packet to Liverpool in 1949.  Wembley 57 and Hampden 61 also had decent travelling support but hundreds I understand.  There was a trip by air to the Nations Cup quarter final in 1964 but I believe the numbers were in double digits.  I recall an article that claimed 13 fans made the trip to Paris in 1965 for the playoff.      

those would have been great trips in the 70's .. bit of camera derry....  and to think going to georgia doesnt take as long... i went to germany in 88 but my friend lived in hamburg so it was handy but a big trip , i was always dying to get to an ireland game away....sometimes it was tough to get anyone else to go...some of my friends still wouldnt even go to dublin now for a LOI away game..!!! and these were the guys who i went to landsdowne orignally with
Camera derry?
Camaraderie? 

Camaraderie..correct
Come on Irelind
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:16am

Paris 04 was the ultimate Celtic Tiger trip for football.  Tickets on sale to everyone via the internet.  Locals not too bothered.  Loads of money circulating and an easy and attractive destination.  Roy Keane was box office as stated above.  40K in paris and 40-50 at the under-21 game in Troyes the night before summed it up perfectly.  The usual 30 or so London Irish crew on a bus, a few UCD fans, a couple of Harps fans and me.  All my group stayed in Paris as well btw and many would normally go to these games.  Indeed there were 7 of us in Berne a month earlier. Maybe the tanking that night and the attractions of Paris made the difference.  

A big crowd in Lisbon in 95 (far bigger than 2000) but nothing like Paris.  Speaking of the under-21s quite a few went up to Leiria the night before.  We were all brought in the VIP entrance but stood in front of the main stand.  Very few went up to Mirana Grande in 2000.  Both are approx the same distance from Lisbon.  

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:50am

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

France 73 was probably the start of large away crowd.  Hundreds went.  ditto for Berne 75 and most went overland.  Paris 76 saw a couple of thousand.  A decent crowd went to Bulgaria in 77 but very few in 79.  Wembley 80 had decent support (my Dad went without me).  

Travel really took off for the 82 campaign.  I remember listening to Cyprus away on the radio and loads of Irish soldiers were there.  Paris, Brussels and Rotterdam were all accessible then albeit overland for most.  It was at least 24 hours travelling to reach Rotterdam in 1981.  Support was huge in those days.  We had big support long before Jack arrived.  Football was also the most played sport in the country before Jack took over.         

Istanbul 91 was scary.  Loads with tickets locked out.  I was lucky to get in.  Afterwards we were attacked.  Even the under-21 game the day before was hairy.  Bursa 99 was a great trip.  No issues at all.  

Prior to the 70's away travel was difficult and expensive.  A few hundred took the packet to Liverpool in 1949.  Wembley 57 and Hampden 61 also had decent travelling support but hundreds I understand.  There was a trip by air to the Nations Cup quarter final in 1964 but I believe the numbers were in double digits.  I recall an article that claimed 13 fans made the trip to Paris in 1965 for the playoff.      

those would have been great trips in the 70's .. bit of camera derry....  and to think going to georgia doesnt take as long... i went to germany in 88 but my friend lived in hamburg so it was handy but a big trip , i was always dying to get to an ireland game away....sometimes it was tough to get anyone else to go...some of my friends still wouldnt even go to dublin now for a LOI away game..!!! and these were the guys who i went to landsdowne orignally with
Camera derry?
Camaraderie? 

Camaraderie..correct
Was he the Italian boy?
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:22pm

Paris 04 was the ultimate Celtic Tiger trip for football.  Tickets on sale to everyone via the internet.  Locals not too bothered.  Loads of money circulating and an easy and attractive destination.  Roy Keane was box office as stated above.  40K in paris and 40-50 at the under-21 game in Troyes the night before summed it up perfectly.  The usual 30 or so London Irish crew on a bus, a few UCD fans, a couple of Harps fans and me.  All my group stayed in Paris as well btw and many would normally go to these games.  Indeed there were 7 of us in Berne a month earlier. Maybe the tanking that night and the attractions of Paris made the difference.  

A big crowd in Lisbon in 95 (far bigger than 2000) but nothing like Paris.  Speaking of the under-21s quite a few went up to Leiria the night before.  We were all brought in the VIP entrance but stood in front of the main stand.  Very few went up to Mirana Grande in 2000.  Both are approx the same distance from Lisbon.  

award award award 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by ProudAndLoud ProudAndLoud wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0q8EJqhqI ;
Probably wrong place for this but well worth a watch. LOI in the old days. I'm sure any Shels fans will enjoy
Enjoyed that...the row in the pub was comical. Strange to see Mick Gannon and Mick Lawlor telling the fans the teams problems. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 9:13pm
Ye a really good watch. Great LOI nostalgia
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:30pm

Good post gspain Thumbs Up

I was always curious as to how many we brought to aways before the successful Charlton era. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Good post gspain Thumbs Up

I was always curious as to how many we brought to aways before the successful Charlton era. 
My first away was Wembley in 1980. Almost 100,000 there that night. We had easily between 15,000 and 20,000. What I remember most about the Rotterdam game in 1981 was the letter H written in the white section of many many tricolors at the game, the game coming as it did a few weeks after the hunger strike ended.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:42am
Ok just done a check and i come in at 51 aways 
ProudAndLoud View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudAndLoud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:22am
On the way to Rotterdam our coach got held up for 2 hours. My dad was brought in for questioning by UK Police aa a cousin of his was on the run in England. I was only 13 and he never told me until many years after. 
Strange times then.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

I would have thought you would have more.  Did you take a break for a while 
AKA pedantic kunt
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Backpacking for 8.5 years is one and very little money was another . 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 1:16pm

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Backpacking for 8.5 years is one and very little money was another . 

Jesus -

That’s some stint. Tell us more.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
  Share Topic