You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

how far do you think we would have gone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how far do you think we would have gone?
    Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:25pm
in the world cup?  I really feel we would have done just as good as 1990 or even better.  Feel a bit sad nowCry
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

in the world cup?  I really feel we would have done just as good as 1990 or even better.  Feel a bit sad nowCry

Spot on TJ Cry
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:34pm
We did not qualify and the teams that knocked us out did not get past the 1st round and got a grand total of 3 points between them.  
AKA pedantic kunt
ThrowInDelap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThrowInDelap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:35pm
If there instead of France?

Second in the group behind Uruguay.

Met the Argies in the 2nd round, beaten 4-0.
If time's a drug, then Big Ben is a huge needle injecting it into the sky.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by NeilMcD NeilMcD wrote:

We did not qualify and the teams that knocked us out did not get past the 1st round and got a grand total of 3 points between them.  

Yes because France cheated thir way there first of all and secondly they didnt play to 10% of their true potential. Italy were poor. There is no way we would have gone out with a whimper like these teams did. We have guts, heart and spirit and ultimately pride. We would have risen to the occasion.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:40pm

Yes because France cheated thir way there first of all and secondly they didnt play to 10% of their true potential. Italy were poor. There is no way we would have gone out with a whimper like these teams did. We have guts, heart and spirit and ultimately pride. We would have risen to the occasion.

Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 4:40pm
I dont think we would have had the mentality to get out of that group.
On paper it looked an easy group as everyone would have underestimated Uruaguay, yet their in the semi's.
Mexico are always a good side and do well.
And playing the home nation will always be difficult.
I'd probably say we would have drawn the 3 games.

But we would have had some buzz over there..
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Weser777 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weser777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 5:01pm
woulda beaten S.Africa, and drawn with Uruguay n Mexico i reckon..
"I'm not the best manager in the world, but I'm definitely in the top one!" - Brian Clough
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 5:44pm

Thats about the size of it, using this logic, if England had not qualified, most of their fans and media would be looking at it thinking they should have won the thing, and we know that is far from the case.

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Guf10 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
...fond of the jar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guf10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 6:34pm
I think we would have gooten at least to the quarter finals! standard hasnt been great this wc. Just imagine if we got into a world cup semi final!
2 in a row, 2 in a row, 2 in a row

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 6:37pm
Lads we did not qualify and we did not beat italy once and they managed to get 2 points in a handy enough group. France got 1 point in another handy group.  

In order to get to quarter finals and semi's you have to qualify and we did not qualify becauase we just were not quite good enough.
AKA pedantic kunt
billybunter View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2010 at 11:16pm
fukn hell lads, we're surely as  good as uruguay and paraguay...what if's ? - i'm ready to move on though.

love trap and what we've done over the last 2 years.
danger here View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danger here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 12:26am
Most likely 3 draws,most likely Mexico/Uruguay would have beaten us to 2nd place.I think too many of yous are overestimating us on the basis of a great performance over 90 mins in Paris.As you well know,football is not decided on performances but on results.let's not forget we were 3 mins away from drawing with Cyprus in Nicosia,backs to the wall stuff for 85 mins at home to Cyprus,and very nearly lost to Georgia at home were it not for a dodgy decision went in out favour,threw away vital leads against Bulgaria twice,let Italy equilize in the 93rd minute to qualify and couldn't finish them off in Bari with an extra man for 85mins,Robbie's goal as good as it was at the time,was the result of hoofing balls all night instead of using the extra man wisely and keeping the ball on the ground.You can't blame Trap,you would have to blame the players' mentality and inferiority complex,that is part of the Irish mentality.

You can't compare this team's chances to that of 1990,Charlton's team was light years ahead.Let's get over the post Henry love-in and get down to business to make sure we don't make the same mistakes again with Slovakia,Macedonia and Russia.

Looking through the teams from the World Cup retrospectively North Korea,Honduras,Algeria,maybe South Africa,New Zealand and Cameroon,Slovenia,Slovakia(maybe),Denmark and Switzerland are teams we could have handled.The latter 2 would have caused us significant problems though,being similar styled teams.Everyone else would have got a draw out of us at least,we would have really had trouble with Chile,Uruguay,Mexico,Japan,Paraguay and the US.

Edited by danger here - 03 Jul 2010 at 12:29am
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 9:30am

fools logic. similar to saying leeds beat man utd in fa cup, so leeds are good enough for the premier league, you will never KNOW how far we would have got. argentina just about qualified, and guess what, i'm watching them in a quarterShocked final.
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 9:46am
you say I have fools logic.  I am the one stating facts which is we did not qualify therefore we are not good enough. 

Its other people who are speculating and talking sh*te about how we woudl have beaten teams that did qualify when we didnt. 

You say argentina just about qualified,  the key there is that they did qualify.  We didnt cause we could not beat Montenegro over 2 games, we could not beat italy over 2 games we could not beat bulgaria over two games and we lost to France at home. 

Not exacdtly the sort of form that gets you to a World Cup quarter final now is it.  
AKA pedantic kunt
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 10:50am

Tongue
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
FiremanDan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FiremanDan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 11:14am

Hindsight and specualtion are wonderful things but in 1990 and the years immediately before and after we underachieved. Great and all as the adventure was we had a squad littered with players playing for the top sides in England at the time. Liverpool, Man U, Villa etc. We should have made more of this generation.

With regard to this World Cup I think it puts into context our failure to qualify (this was in another post).

It was a poor group we were in and we should have won it. End of. I think we were unlucky to meet a French side that were temporarily motivated for a play off (I reckon they believed Domenech would be "removed" prior to the World Cup - hence their enthusiasm to qualify but their subsequent showing). Impossible to know what group we would have been in as I'm not sure we would have been in the same pot France were (based on seeding) but I think we would have had yet another admirable "close but no cigar" tournament.
Last 16 at best.

Sean Og O Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold."

GreenGiant82 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenGiant82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 11:53am
Seriously boys why are we talking bout this. Look forward not back!
Twitter @ciaranreid1907
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic