You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:33am
This group was so tight up until yesterday and was going to remain so until someone blinked first - delighted it was Denmark.

We still have to go out there and win in Tbilisi. But i'm feeling a lot better today than yesterday.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:48am
i still believe we should have gone hammer and tongs at the Swiss from the start like we did after we scored , they didn't like it up em. 

but we are where we are now , unbeaten and with a chance to split the two favourites , hopefully swiss beat danes now and then settle for a draw with us. 

no way will we lay down like we did in the Erickson game at home the next time , no way 
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:06am
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

i still believe we should have gone hammer and tongs at the Swiss from the start like we did after we scored , they didn't like it up em. 

but we are where we are now , unbeaten and with a chance to split the two favourites , hopefully swiss beat danes now and then settle for a draw with us. 

no way will we lay down like we did in the Erickson game at home the next time , no way 
Agree with this. It’s been one of our downfalls not going for games that are there for the taking enough at home especially. It was our downfall in the World Cup campaign. 2 points against the top 3 seeds let us down. It’s going to be a tough doubleheader in October but our tails are up and the squad is improving every game under Mick. 
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:29am
If we beat Georgia and Switzerland take a point at least against Denmark, a point against Switzerland is almost useless, we need a draw against Denmark.

However a win in Switzerland would see us qualify with a game to spare.

Really in that scenario we should be set up to go for it in Switzerland from the off. We saw what can happen when we actually have a go at them.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:33am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

If we beat Georgia and Switzerland take a point at least against Denmark, a point against Switzerland is almost useless, we need a draw against Denmark.

However a win in Switzerland would see us qualify with a game to spare.

Really in that scenario we should be set up to go for it in Switzerland from the off. We saw what can happen when we actually have a go at them.

By then they could be missing Shaqiri and Xhaka too
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:42am
Well waking up this morning and checking the table and remaining fixtures and there is reason to be optimistic.
If my calculations are correct, we could actually draw our way to these championships. I wouldn’t have much hope for getting a big win out of this group, but I would back us to draw against anyone!
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Without lads jumping on this comment - we actually have a decent chance of winning the group. 

If we are serious about qualifying we have to grind out a win in Tbilisi. We are more than capable of getting a draw in Geneva and then a home game v the Danes to achieve 1st or 2nd. 

Like it is a winnable group. I know we are cat but we the other teams in the group aren't playing well (or as some eluded to are having a world cup and nations league hangover respectively). We won't have a better chance. 

I caught the last 30 mins of the game today and the Danes were all over the place. Like giving away silly fouls and were unable to string passes together. They rattled the bar alright but so did the Georgians albeit called for offside then.

I would rather shut up shop and try and play safe for 2nd than go balls out to win the group and end up costing ourselves a top 2 spot

Why not go for it? According to other threads it is looking increasingly like we will get a playoff anyways. So why not try avoid that if possible. If we win in Georgia I think we should be looking to win the group. We always seem to settle. 
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by Jimmy Raggatip Jimmy Raggatip wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Without lads jumping on this comment - we actually have a decent chance of winning the group. 

If we are serious about qualifying we have to grind out a win in Tbilisi. We are more than capable of getting a draw in Geneva and then a home game v the Danes to achieve 1st or 2nd. 

Like it is a winnable group. I know we are cat but we the other teams in the group aren't playing well (or as some eluded to are having a world cup and nations league hangover respectively). We won't have a better chance. 

I caught the last 30 mins of the game today and the Danes were all over the place. Like giving away silly fouls and were unable to string passes together. They rattled the bar alright but so did the Georgians albeit called for offside then.

I would rather shut up shop and try and play safe for 2nd than go balls out to win the group and end up costing ourselves a top 2 spot
howya Martin 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

howya Martin [/QUOTE]

LOL
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:07am
Ireland still odds on not to finish in the top 2 (10/11 in bet365). As much as yesterday was a huge result for Ireland in keeping us in with a chance of top 2, the bookies realise that at some stage we are actually going to have to start to try and win matches. Either that or a concoction of results that would let us draw our way to the Euros with a 0-0 home draw against the Danes effectively knocking them out on away goals.

So as much as yesterday was a big result for Ireland, it will not take a capitulation or anything like that for us not to qualify. We are still 3rd favourites by a distance to win the group. We are still 3rd favourites by a distance to qualify. Rightly so. Huge amount of work to do to qualify from here (as the table without Gibraltar shows, which is effectively the real table).
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Ireland still odds on not to finish in the top 2 (10/11 in bet365). As much as yesterday was a huge result for Ireland in keeping us in with a chance of top 2, the bookies realise that at some stage we are actually going to have to start to try and win matches. Either that or a concoction of results that would let us draw our way to the Euros with a 0-0 home draw against the Danes effectively knocking them out on away goals.

So as much as yesterday was a big result for Ireland, it will not take a capitulation or anything like that for us not to qualify. We are still 3rd favourites by a distance to win the group. We are still 3rd favourites by a distance to qualify. Rightly so. Huge amount of work to do to qualify from here (as the table without Gibraltar shows, which is effectively the real table).

Lads can spin things whatever way they want to suit an agenda.
Whether a table has Gibraltar in it or not, I dont care. They are irrelevant to the qualification picture as they will not pick up any points.

The fact is that Denmark have dropped points against Georgia.
If you have Gibraltar in the table, we are top. If you leave them out, we have a game in hand on Denmark, which is against Georgia, where a win will see us leapfrog them.

How this leaves us “3rd favourites by a distance” is beyond me.

We have a huge amount of work to do to qualify. But considerably less work to do than we had 24 hours ago.

If Switzerland pick up a point in Denmark, we qualify with a win in Georgia and a draw at home to Denmark.

I would say we are more likely to qualify directly than Denmark at this point.

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:06pm

Whether a table has Gibraltar in it or not, I dont care. They are irrelevant to the qualification picture as they will not pick up any points.

If you have Gibraltar in the table, we are top. If you leave them out, we have a game in hand on Denmark, which is against Georgia, where a win will see us leapfrog them.

We have a huge amount of work to do to qualify. But considerably less work to do than we had 24 hours ago.

If Switzerland pick up a point in Denmark, we qualify with a win in Georgia and a draw at home to Denmark.

3rd favourites by a distance is a bit of an exaggeration but I think Hans has a point. 

We've got 3 very tough remaining matches and it's not inconceivable that we might fail to win any of them. 

Both Switzerland and Denmark (less so) deserved to beat us in those games ans we've definitely had a fair bit of luck to be in the position we're in. 

If we beat Georgia than I would say we're slightly more likely to qualify than Denmark (assuming they don't beat Switzerland) 

We don't do very well as favourites tags so let's hope Georgia away 2019 isn't the turning point that Austria at home was in 2017. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:23pm
we're far from favourites but i'd rather be in our position than in Denmarks right now. 

they have to play swiss at home who will be going for the kill and us away which will be tough to get up for due to to the lack of respect they have for us, i am sure they'll come to dublin expecting to give us another hiding and we will get the draw 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:42pm
The remaining three games are the toughest

You've got to discount the Gibraltar points which leave us with a narrow win at home vs Georgia and some a really solid point in Denmark and a home point vs the swiss.

The biggest result for me is the away to denmark point. We can probably draw our way to qualification. 

Edited by Left foot - 09 Sep 2019 at 12:43pm
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:44pm

I agree, we do have far far less work to do now with that result yesterday.

It doesn't change the fact that we are 3rd favourites in the group and rightly so. Now that is my opinion and has been all along, but it is also the opinion of the bookies compiling the odds. We are still by a distance 3rd favourites in the group to qualify.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 12:52pm
Yesterday’s result makes a difference. Between that and our 1-1 draw in Copenhagen, Denmark have made their life very difficult, and it could have been even harder without the equaliser against the Swiss. The Swiss have also dropped points, which were in their hands.

However, yesterday is a reminder that Georgia away is still a tough game. They will also expect much more from us after March, and know we aren’t the same side that played them in 2017. We then have to take on the Swiss and the Danes. Both have had the upper hand on us, on the pitch, without being able to close out the result. I think the term “quietly confident” can validly apply, but I wouldn’t be much more expectant than I was on Thursday.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:02pm
It seems the georgia game might be the most difficult as we're in search of a win (something that very difficult for us away from home) where as the remaining games we're looking for a draw 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 1:11pm
We were always going to have to win in georgia. And i think we will someway somehow. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic