You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How confident are you about this campaign?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Poll Question: Will we qualify for the Euros?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [2.90%]
50 [36.23%]
11 [7.97%]
60 [43.48%]
8 [5.80%]
5 [3.62%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

LOL

It's so grim, that it's either laughing about it or crying, so like you I'm laughing.

I think we are looking at anywhere between 0-2 points in those remaining games. I plumped for 1 point but I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we ended with 0.

Whether you are right or wrong, I'd be a bit more optimistic that that!

In true Irish fashion, I'll go with 4 draws!
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:25pm
I'm not effectively saying we had no chance before the group started, I am definitively saying we had no chance before the group started. 

The Swiss are far better than us. The Danes are also, and us snatching a draw in a game we could easily have been hammered in doesn't change that for me. Also on this forum, everyone seems to be looking to the home Denmark game at the end where no matter what we should have a mathematical chance of qualifying. By then I reckon the Danes will be qualified, quite possibly sitting top. People do realise that drew away to the Swiss don't they?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 7:42pm

I'm not effectively saying we had no chance before the group started, I am definitively saying we had no chance before the group started. 

The Swiss are far better than us. The Danes are also, and us snatching a draw in a game we could easily have been hammered in doesn't change that for me. Also on this forum, everyone seems to be looking to the home Denmark game at the end where no matter what we should have a mathematical chance of qualifying. By then I reckon the Danes will be qualified, quite possibly sitting top. People do realise that drew away to the Swiss don't they?

Yeah, and that could be the worst result in the entire group for us, too.

However, unless they beat the Swiss at home, they won't have more than 15 points when they come to Dublin; if we can get two points before that (whether winning away to Georgia, or drawing there & one of the Swiss games), then we have a great chance.

It's not that we will have a chance no matter what, it's that it really isn't difficult to see how we could go into that game with a chance.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:24pm
My point was that people were assuming we most definitely will have a chance by the time Denmark come to town. That to me is quite optimistic.

I can see the Danes beating Switzerland at home. I also can't see us getting anything off the Swiss so we'd have to beat the Georgians away and hope those Danish results go our way. 

Either way, we won't be finishing top 2 in the group unless there is a mental concoction of results going out way. We were always heading for the playoffs in March and sadly we've let a washed up has been manager lead us for 12 months in advance of those games. It's going to be a long few months.

Edited by Hans Moleman - 14 Aug 2019 at 8:25pm
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:26pm

Either way, we won't be finishing top 2 in the group unless there is a mental concoction of results going out way.

This has always been the case, unlikely results going our way.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:29pm
Someone ring Mick there and let him know he is wasting his time as the man ( men) who knows his ball says we’re fcked 
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by DUBLIN DOC DUBLIN DOC wrote:

Someone ring Mick there and let him know he is wasting his time as the man ( men) who knows his ball says we’re fcked 

Yawn. You taking a break from shredding files in FAI HQ, posting more garbage on here. What's the current morale of the FAI staff like?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:01pm

Yawn. You taking a break from shredding files in FAI HQ, posting more garbage on here. What's the current morale of the FAI staff like?
Garbage LOL just read your own posts for that, I’m actually about to shred the quare wans gowl
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:03pm

Garbage LOL just read your own posts for that, I’m actually about to shred the quare wans gowl
Hold on there love, I just have to finish this jibe at Moleman before we start.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:04pm
We will qualify no problem, the danish game at home will just be a send off for us
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Hold on there love, I just have to finish this jibe at Moleman before we start.
Shes reading it with me PM even she said he must be some kind of lonely heart fcker married to his computer to be spouting so much tripe LOL
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:21pm
Switzerland effectively have 13 points. They have 4 points already and they will almost certainly beat Gibraltar home and away and Georgia at home. Denmark effectively have 11 points. They have 5 points already and they will almost certainly beat Gibraltar home and away. Considering the above the key games remaining in the group excluding Ireland are Georgia Vs Denmark and Denmark Vs Switzerland. Hopefully Georgia can frustrate the Danes but if we can pull off a victory against the Swiss than that would leave them in a precious position since they have to play Denmark away. I actually think we have a better chance of sneaking a victory against the Swiss than the Danes. The Danes and us know each other too well. It goes without saying that Georgia away is a must win and we'll probably have to muster 4 points from the 3 games against Switzerland and Denmark. It's difficult but not impossible.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 9:47pm
Another 22 days of this stuff
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:10am

Well you clearly aren't paying much attention to the evidence then, are you? We've played Georgia countless times over the last decade, and although it's rarely comfortable, in the majority of cases we win. Therefore, it's quite likely we'll win again.

Similarly with the Danes, we've drawn with them 4 of the last 5 times we've played. The only occasion we've been beaten was when our manager absolutely lost the plot and threw away our gameplan. I think we can all agree Mick is unlikely to lose the plot in the same way, and thus the completely logical conclusion is that we'll draw again.

Finally onto the Swiss. The Swiss are a good side, but it's extremely rare any side ever takes 6 points off us, and god knows far better than this Swiss side have tried and failed. There is nothing in Switzerland's form to suggest they are capable of easily dismantling a decent, well organised side like ourselves. Similarly, there's nothing in our form that suggests we're going to be swept aside by a side of Switzerland's calibre. They are, at the end of the day, basically just a better version of us; physical, solid, and well organised, but severely lacking in cutting edge. It's actually a game that you could quite easily see becoming a bit of a stalemate, with neither side really able to break the other down. Like who is it in the Swiss line up that you expect to just cut us apart? Shaqiri? Maybe, but he's incredibly inconsistent. I'd be surprised if he did it in one match, and I'd be absolutely astounded if he did it in two against us.

All in all, your statement that we're absolutely doomed and always have been is nothing short of nonsensical. It's simply not grounded in the reality of what we have seen before.
We're decent enough..
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:15am
Lads are gas. Denmark have proven bar the freak 5-1 game that they are about our level . Realistically they are better but not by much. Take an injury or suspension to Erickson and the playing field is level. At home I’d fancy us.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:26am
Draw V Swiss at home, Win to Georgia away, Loss V Swiss away, Draw V Denmark home. Where would that leave us ? 

Would that leave us depending on the remaining Den V Swiss game, ie presuming they won all their other games V Gib & Georgia, we would be looking for a winner in that Den V Swiss game to finish 2nd ? Or lose out on same points but H2H or GD in 3rd should that be a draw ? 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 12:45am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Draw V Swiss at home, Win to Georgia away, Loss V Swiss away, Draw V Denmark home. Where would that leave us ? 

Would that leave us depending on the remaining Den V Swiss game, ie presuming they won all their other games V Gib & Georgia, we would be looking for a winner in that Den V Swiss game to finish 2nd ? Or lose out on same points but H2H or GD in 3rd should that be a draw ? 

We are currently on 10 points. That would put us on 15 points...

Denmark are on 5 points right now. If they win both v Gib and win v Georgia, that leaves them on 14, plus one v us, so 15, assuming they lose to the Swiss.

Switzerland are on 4 points right now. If they win both v Gib, win v Georgia, and get 4 v us, that leaves them on 17 points, not counting the result away to Denmark.

In that case, we'd need Switzerland to win in Denmark and we'd either need to draw 0-0 with the Danes or draw 1-1 and beat them on goal difference (not likely).

Those results are very unlikely to see us through: without a win v Georgia away and at least three points v the Swiss, we are almost certainly going to have to beat Denmark. We probably need 16 points heading into that game for a draw to be enough; otherwise, the chances of qualifying with a draw v the Danes are basically nil. If we have 16 points heading into that game, though, we only need the Danes to drop points once between now and then for a draw to be enough for us. However, they are quite likely going to have at least 14 before coming here, if not more. They are effectively on 11 already, before they come to Dublin, with the chance of extra points v Switzerland at home and Georgia away. The chances of us being above them before they come to Dublin are slim.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 15 Aug 2019 at 12:51am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Lads are gas. Denmark have proven bar the freak 5-1 game that they are about our level . Realistically they are better but not by much. Take an injury or suspension to Erickson and the playing field is level. At home I’d fancy us.
That would be Denmark who have been consistently better than us in all those games that we have doggedly hung on in most of them? Denmark who got to the last 16 in the World Cup and won our NL group?
Ajax have struggled against Heracles in recent games, Celtic against Motherwell etc. Denmark’s underperformance against us and the inability to finish us off, bar the game where they clicked and. We collapsed, says more about them than us.

As I said before, I feel their manager should have at least had an uncomfortable meeting after our last match, but could have had no complaints if he was sacked. In the same way that MON really started feeling the criticism after our draw in Georgia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
  Share Topic