You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hockey Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

so Ross announces €1.5m in front on the girls and a week later its only €250k they are getting, 

Have no issue with sport getting 1.5m.... but for a politician to walk in on a teams greatest day and to announce it, its not to reward them its to avoid criticism for underfunding sport in the country.

Again I dont have an issue with the amount but it had to have come from some budget, almost overnight so Ross can have his big moment in the Glory of someone else.

Name one minister that has done more for Irish hockey than Shane Ross. I rest my case.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:22pm

so Ross announces €1.5m in front on the girls and a week later its only €250k they are getting, 

Well it's a new €500k for the two senior teams on top of the high performance funding they're already getting. I'd say it's generous enough for a minority sport : it definitely should improve their chances of qualifying for Tokyo.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:30pm
I was under the impression that this money was allocated before the hockey team got to the WC final?

Ross was just piggy backing off the success for his own self importance.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 7:44pm
Our Minister for Transport was notable only for his lack of intervention during the Bus Éireann and Irish Rail strikes. Our Minister for Sport was notable only for his lack of intervention during the controversy surrounding Na Fianna’s pitches and the Metrolink. Our Minister for Tourism has been notable only for his lack of intervention during the Ryanair strikes. The same Minister can’t even take credit for the wonderful success of the national hockey team, given that he assures us he had “no hand, act or part” in the funding for a new hockey pitch in his own constituency.

Yet on the topics of judicial appointments reform, cash for grandparents and even the intractable problem of peace on the Korean peninsula, there is our Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, centre stage.

Then again, where his proposal to deal with rising accommodation prices is to increase their VAT rate, maybe we should be grateful for his singular attentiveness to his portfolios.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 13 Aug 2018 at 7:44pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I was under the impression that this money was allocated before the hockey team got to the WC final?

Ross was just piggy backing off the success for his own self importance.

No, this is definitely new money. There was an announcement of funding two or three weeks ago but Ross's office stressed that the €1.5m for sports this week is brand new.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Our Minister for Transport was notable only for his lack of intervention during the Bus Éireann and Irish Rail strikes. Our Minister for Sport was notable only for his lack of intervention during the controversy surrounding Na Fianna’s pitches and the Metrolink. Our Minister for Tourism has been notable only for his lack of intervention during the Ryanair strikes. The same Minister can’t even take credit for the wonderful success of the national hockey team, given that he assures us he had “no hand, act or part” in the funding for a new hockey pitch in his own constituency.

Yet on the topics of judicial appointments reform, cash for grandparents and even the intractable problem of peace on the Korean peninsula, there is our Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, centre stage.

Then again, where his proposal to deal with rising accommodation prices is to increase their VAT rate, maybe we should be grateful for his singular attentiveness to his portfolios.
ClapClap
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2018 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Well it's a new €500k for the two senior teams on top of the high performance funding they're already getting. I'd say it's generous enough for a minority sport : it definitely should improve their chances of qualifying for Tokyo.

Yes its a lot, but he would have been a bit more honest had he announced the figure in front of the girls as 250K and not 1.5M. The tears of joy from the girls were from the figure he announced before going on to say of was for a variety of sports. It was cruel as much as anything else, but no more than to be expected. 

And 250k among a squad of 25 to include managers etc is only 10K each, hardly a lot of money for our first ever world cup finalists 
I know nothing :-)
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

ClapClap

The lad is as I stated before a prick. As you say where was he when there was a bus strike, na Fianna's pitches and the Ryanair strike...

Saying it's not his job to sort things out..It's more his job then swanning off on tax payers money to France or Rio
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:01am

Yes its a lot, but he would have been a bit more honest had he announced the figure in front of the girls as 250K and not 1.5M. The tears of joy from the girls were from the figure he announced before going on to say of was for a variety of sports. It was cruel as much as anything else, but no more than to be expected. 

And 250k among a squad of 25 to include managers etc is only 10K each, hardly a lot of money for our first ever world cup finalists 
They're playing a sport, it's a pastime, they know full well it's not professional. If you or me want to go enter a sport abroad (say a marathon or something), we have to pay for it. It's not a knock on the girls, I just think we are comparing everything to what those footballers and rugby players get paid. 99.9% of athletes pay their own way
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

They're playing a sport, it's a pastime, they know full well it's not professional. If you or me want to go enter a sport abroad (say a marathon or something), we have to pay for it. It's not a knock on the girls, I just think we are comparing everything to what those footballers and rugby players get paid. 99.9% of athletes pay their own way

I think people are comparing it to what athletes in other countries get not other sports. 

greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2018 at 9:19am

No I'm making the point that Ross gets himself all over the media with the girls in the background and makes an announcement of €1.5M to grab all the headlines, when the amount the hockey girls are getting is just 1/6 of that. 

Had he said nothing and just given the funding that would have been preferable.   Does anyone know how much he wasted going to Rio?
I know nothing :-)
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 10:56pm

No I'm making the point that Ross gets himself all over the media with the girls in the background and makes an announcement of €1.5M to grab all the headlines, when the amount the hockey girls are getting is just 1/6 of that. 

Had he said nothing and just given the funding that would have been preferable.   Does anyone know how much he wasted going to Rio?

How many hockey matches have you been to since the World Cup to show your support for the plight?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

How many hockey matches have you been to since the World Cup to show your support for the plight?

Season hasn't started yet......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic