You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HMV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HMV
    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 8:47am
Going bust again. 2nd time in 6 years and in the era of iTunes, Spotify etc etc. I think it's the last time we'll see a HMV shop anywhere as they've already closed in Ireland.

Do people actually still buy physical CD's for music? And if so, what was it and how long ago?
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Going bust again. 2nd time in 6 years and in the era of iTunes, Spotify etc etc. I think it's the last time we'll see a HMV shop anywhere as they've already closed in Ireland.

Do people actually still buy physical CD's for music? And if so, what was it and how long ago?

Not for me, used have Apple Music, but got rid that, mostly listen on youtube. Really want an album I'll download it. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:23am
Yes but not in a shop. If I'm at a festival or whatever and really like a band or artist I'll buy their CD. Usually the smaller bands would have class CD cover art as well which is a bonus!

Honesty I don't know how HMV have lasted this long. 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:43am
Haven’t bought a CD in years.
The vinyl revival have helped some ie Golden discs but hardly a surprise to see them pull shutters down again
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Smashing timing for all those that got HMV vouchers for Christmas too. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:25pm
The DVD market kept it going for about 10 yrs.  That's gone tits up as nobody uses DVDs anymore.
With 4G you don't even need to download them anymore and listen anywhere on youtube.  The only exception being long haul flights where you probably need to have them.

The next industry to go will be the the likes of sky sports, BT etc..
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:27pm
A dvd or cd was always a great stocking filler. Those days are gone.
HMV was a great place when you had half an hour till kill if you were in town.
The dark side.. And the light
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The DVD market kept it going for about 10 yrs.  

Gaming too. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:35pm
Surely they could make profit from the vinyl market, if they really wanted to. Loads of vinyl shops and shop cafés everywhere. Great market in coffee table books about music and vintage band merchandise. It isn't as if they don't have the contacts. I imagine it is just easier for it to fold and then the owners can pump their money into something else.

It is amazing how long it took people to realise that most music sounds better on vinyl.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

A dvd or cd was always a great stocking filler. Those days are gone.
HMV was a great place when you had half an hour till kill if you were in town.
I'm not sure I could nonchalantly browse CDs if I was about to take someone's life, but that's the difference between professionals and amateurs.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The DVD market kept it going for about 10 yrs.  

Gaming too. 
How's that industry?

It's mental when you look back 20-25 yrs ago or so. Remember when people would camp outside HMV for new albums to come out etc.. Also remember when Blur v Oasis had people rushing in the doors and buying in their millions.  It's a pity.  They were lively shops and you could spend ages just looking around.

The last CD I bought was in December 2009.  There's now no such thing as having a record collection.

The VHS and music market was fantastic when you think about it. You used to look forward to buying something for yourself in HMV or Easons. 

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:49pm
Confused Records and record collecting is incredibly popular these days!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:50pm
GAME will be next to go.

GAME, when it went bust the first time round decided to it was a good idea to piss off Nintendo and Activision by not fulfilling the invoices for the Call of Duty games (can't remember which 1 it was at the time) and the Nintendo Wii so both manufacturers went f**k you and they bled a slow death and nothing's changed other than they get orders in small bulk now because of dis-trust - I remember when the Switch came out, there was a Nationwide shortage of it in the UK, that's why.

I'm not even sure if they're still trading in Ireland nowadays?

Anyhow, I'm surprised HMV didn't take advantage of that.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Confused Records and record collecting is incredibly popular these days!

Is it?  Vinyl seems like a hipster niche market.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
I'm probably showing my complete ignorance of video games here, but aren't they all downloadable now?
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I'm probably showing my complete ignorance of video games here, but aren't they all downloadable now?

Yeah but they're typically £5-£10 more expensive than a physical copy. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:39pm
Got ya, I guess that will only last so long.
The high street is dead over here and the best thing they could do is leave it collapse. Councils buying out city centre shopping centres to prop up retailers who don't want to be there but pretend they have to. Leave all the chains f**k off and you will end up with a truer and better form of capitalism; independent shops selling things they love with an interest in the customer. It will also bring back local and regional pride and identity.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm
Looks like HMV will live afterall.

Being picked up by Mike Ashley

Edited by coyne - 21 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic