Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hillsborough - Justice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

That's gross negligence manslaughter, and it carries a sentence of up to life imprisonment, like any form of manslaughter. The difference is that the penalty isn't mandatory. Whatever you call it, the label isn't really that important. What counts is the penalty.  I'll ask this: should anyone so charged of such an offence necessarily receive life sentences, without any possibility of a lesser sentence, if they are convicted? Whatever you think of their actions and culpability, to say that seems a step too far.

In the US it might be called "fourth degree murder", which is arguably incorrect; in the UK it is called gross negligence manslaughter. Both are forms of unjustified homicide.

Murder, by common definition, is the intentional ending of another person's life, with distinctions occasionally made (again, in the US, and not so much here or the UK) between cases where it was premeditated ("first degree"), like an assassination, not premeditated ("second degree"), like an overreaction in a bar fight where you deliberately stab someone in the neck with a broken glass, and, lower still, not premeditated but provoked or a crime of passion ("third degree"), like where you find someone sleeping with your wife and you murder them in a rage. Those are all killings with intention to take a life, or at least cause serious injury; that's why they're called murder.

Anything without intention to kill or cause serious injury isn't murder; that doesn't mean it isn't homicide and it doesn't mean it shouldn't be punished. Manslaughter is the usual term in the UK and here; it is still a very, very serious crime, carrying a potential sentence of up to life imprisonment, with the exception that that sentence isn't mandatory. The actions of the police in this case may well have been intentional; that doesn't mean that the killing was intentional.

It can be called many things, if proven, but it can't be called murder. It'll be for a jury to decide if they are guilty of manslaughter, but it's not murder. You give out about people using "literally" incorrectly, then you figuratively murder the definition of murder. It's not murder without some manner of intention. To use it otherwise is to do violence to the English language.
Fair enough. I've been lawyered.
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 3:57pm
Ah that's not what I was trying to do; I just wanted to make sure the word "murder" wasn't thrown around with abandon.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:01pm
Incidentally,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

In the US, it seems, you could call a death caused by "depraved indifference" murder.

Murder apparently means something different in the US.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:05pm

Ah that's not what I was trying to do; I just wanted to make sure the word "murder" wasn't thrown around with abandon.
I know, I just feel that what was done that day, similar to in Grenfell, was state killing caused by deliberate negligence. The punishment for that should be the same as murder and that is what they receive. In the latter case, for example, I would imagine if a private landlord rented one 'death trap' flat or house out to people he would feel the full consequences when someone died. It is much harder to make a comparison to Hillsborough as it was pretty unique, I know some people try to use Bloody Sunday as an example but the circumstances were different, even if the state are responsible in both.

I don't necessarily believe in needing justice to be served anyway, it is more about having one law for all, which isn't how it feels here.

I do appreciate the correction.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm

Incidentally,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depraved-heart_murder

In the US, it seems, you could call a death caused by "depraved indifference" murder.

Murder apparently means something different in the US.
Guilty of an Americanism.Embarrassed
I watched too many US cop streets as a kid.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I will put this as simply as I can for you.

I.DON'T. BELIEVE.THERE.HAS.TO.BE.INTENTION.FOR.MURDER.

IN. THE. SAME. WAY. AS. YOU. DON'T. INTEND. TO. BE. A. PRAT. Wacko
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm

I know, I just feel that what was done that day, similar to in Grenfell, was state killing caused by deliberate negligence. The punishment for that should be the same as murder and that is what they receive. In the latter case, for example, I would imagine if a private landlord rented one 'death trap' flat or house out to people he would feel the full consequences when someone died. It is much harder to make a comparison to Hillsborough as it was pretty unique, I know some people try to use Bloody Sunday as an example but the circumstances were different, even if the state are responsible in both.

I don't necessarily believe in needing justice to be served anyway, it is more about having one law for all, which isn't how it feels here.

I do appreciate the correction.

Ah, I know exactly where you are coming from. The fact it has taken so long for anyone to be charged, regardless of what happens to those who have been charged, speaks volumes.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I will put this as simply as I can for you.

I.DON'T. BELIEVE.THERE.HAS.TO.BE.INTENTION.FOR.MURDER.

IN. THE. SAME. WAY. AS. YOU. DON'T. INTEND. TO. BE. A. PRAT. Wacko
I.DON'T.KNOW.WHAT.A.PRAT.IS.I.DID.INTEND.TO.BE.A.C*NT.THOUGH
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 4:58pm
Any charges going to be brought against the dozens of police officers involed in the cover up and smear campaign against the Liverpoolsupporters?
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Any charges going to be brought against the dozens of police officers involed in the cover up and smear campaign against the Liverpoolsupporters?

Some of that is covered in the charges as announced today. The CPS statement of this gives a bit more detail. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 5:17pm
Probably impossible to prove, but that that scumbag Kelvin McKenzie and The Sun are escaping prosecution for something or other is one of the biggest scandals of all in this instance.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 6:00pm
Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice is a pretty tricky charge to prove.

The innocent journo defence would probably stand by them: they would likely just need to say they were acting on foot of information received from previously reliable sources  It wouldn't be enough to avoid a defamation action (not in this case I mean, but in the right case), but it would probably be enough to defeat a charge of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, as there would be no proof they ever had any intention to pervert the course of justice.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:15pm

The innocent journo defence would probably stand by them: they would likely just need to say they were acting on foot of information received from previously reliable sources  It wouldn't be enough to avoid a defamation action (not in this case I mean, but in the right case), but it would probably be enough to defeat a charge of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, as there would be no proof they ever had any intention to pervert the course of justice.
But didnt they say today that one of the people charged with that had "physically changed a witness statement", if thats not perverting the course then im astounded.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:16pm
95 accounts of manslaughter, good lord, what a charge.....
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

But didnt they say today that one of the people charged with that had "physically changed a witness statement", if thats not perverting the course then im astounded.

I was replying to the comment about the S*n and journalists. There's no allegation the journos were involved in that.
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:02pm

95 accounts of manslaughter, good lord, what a charge.....

About time - think of all the family members & survivors who never lived to see this day.
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 8:11pm

I was replying to the comment about the S*n and journalists. There's no allegation the journos were involved in that.
Sorry SD, i didnt read the start of your comment so picked it up wrong, it was a cop they were saying that about.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 8:52am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Before the conversations go any further, people should be wary of posting on this topic.
As there are charges now pending, you can be well sure that their expensively paid lawyers will be having a good look at forums, twitter etc to try and find things they can use to prove that the people charged cannot get a fair trial. 

As if this is an normal court case, where standard innocent before proven guilty laws apply.

There's not a single adult in the UK who is not aware of what happened and who doesn't know who bears responsibility, given the vast amount of material in the public domain, so the idea of your standard fair trial is impossible. Some of those are up on multiple charges. One is being held responsible for 95 fatalities, and he has no realistic chance of coming out of that courtroom a free man. This is a show trial, where the only question is the length of the sentence. After nigh on 30 years, justice is coming to their door.

The families deserve justice, but they're just the latest of a long list down the years to encounter the stonewalling of the British justice system. If you want to correct an injustice, like in Birmingham, Guildford, Derry and elsewhere, even with cast iron evidence, you'll need to have the patience of job. The brits don't like been told they're wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 18192021>
  Share Topic