You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHas a LoI player ever played in a World Cup?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has a LoI player ever played in a World Cup?
    Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:11pm

Or even been in the squad for one?

Joseph Ndo played for Cameroon in '98 and was in the squad but didn't play in '02, but that was before he moved to the LoI

Edited by theworm2345 - 21 Oct 2008 at 1:15pm
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
Sponsored Links

gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:14pm
Avery John went on to play in world cup 2006
theworm2345 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by gouldinho gouldinho wrote:

Avery John went on to play in the world
Yes for T&T, but he wasn't in the LoI when he did it

If Benin make it perhaps Rommy Boco will be the first

Edited by theworm2345 - 21 Oct 2008 at 1:15pm
League of Ireland archive with reports back to 91/92 (goalscorers for First Division) now online, plus Twitter: twitter.com/StattoLOI
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:21pm
Possibly maybe kalonas from lithuania has a decent chance they started off well in qualification.
Terry Bollea View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 2:43pm
Felix Healy appeared in the 1982 World Cup while he was a Coleraine player. Obviously that's not the LOI, but he's a LOI personality so it perhaps merited mention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDDfoTdmG94&feature=PlayList&p=F8D10A025010B274&playnext=1&index=6
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 6:24pm
There have been one or two that played in the African nations cup i think?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

There have been one or two that played in the African nations cup i think?
I'll expand to eL and Premier Divison because I don't know which clubs were where and when

Boco was at Accrington Stanley when he played in the 2008 ACN, then left Acc Stan right after.  Benin should qualify for the next ACN (2010) so if Boco is still in Ireland at that time he should do it

Ndo moved to St Pats in 2003 and his last match for Cameroon was in 2002

Jose Mukendi/Mokendi did not unless he played in the 1988 Edition as a 16-17-18 year old

Charles Mbabzi did not as Uganda always had a torrid time of qualifying for the ACN, and haven't qualified since before Mbabzi was born (understandably as they had bigger fish to fry no doubt with Amin)

Dominic Iorfa was capped for Nigeria but he played for Nigeria long before he came to Ireland

Going back to 1992 I couldn't find one 

As for other continental championships...Avery John did play in a CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2002 when he was with Bohs

David Norman (UCD, winters of '80-'83) played for Canada, though he made his first international appearance in 1983 and Canada made CONCACAF Nations Cup in 1981 and 1985.  He also played for Canada in the World Cup in 1986.  Canada played in a World Cup?  Apparently.

Barbados (Eric Lavine and Alvin Rouse) and SVG (Wes Charles) haven't qualified for the Gold Cup in those player's careers, though Barbados are still in the running for next year's.  Marlon Alex James (Bray '01-'03) and Rodney Jack (Waterford '05-'06) did play in a Gold Cup for SVG in 1996 though.

Otherwise I can't remember any other foreign internationals playing in the LoI (Thiam, Matondo, Issaka, and Asokuh have never been capped to my knowledge, though Asokuh played in a u-17 WC with Kanu, and Nooitmeer has only one cap for Haiti in a friendly). 

Peter Lorimer played in a World Cup with Scotland but he also came to the eL later.

You guys can probably remember better than I...who am I missing?  Obviously some European ones though none that made a tournament that I can remember

Edited by theworm2345 - 21 Oct 2008 at 9:06pm
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 12:04am
Terry Moore of Canada was part of the Canada squad for the 1986 World Cup. He was a Glentoran player at the time. I can't think of a single LOI/NL player who played or was part of the squad for a World Cup.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Donal Cullen Donal Cullen wrote:

Terry Moore of Canada was part of the Canada squad for the 1986 World Cup. He was a Glentoran player at the time. I can't think of a single LOI/NL player who played or was part of the squad for a World Cup.
There were a few players playing in Northern Ireland on some of their World Cup teams as well, not sure if they played.  Someone mentioned Felix Healy from Coleraine above

Edited by theworm2345 - 22 Oct 2008 at 12:26am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic