You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harry Arter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 93>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Didn't Arter get an injury leading up to Euros?

He played in the warmup friendlies. 
Sponsored Links

NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:19pm
Hopefully his bro-in-law will give him another chance in the Premier League.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Didn't Arter get an injury leading up to Euros?

He played in the warmup friendlies. 

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 10:55pm
Arter was forced out of the Euro '16 reckoning with a thigh injury.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 11:39pm
Yeah he played in the Netherlands game and sure came off with an injury. Still hope think Harry can be a good player for us. Seems like a nice fella too, just had to put a lot of sh*t at the end of mon and Keane's tenure.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 11:45pm
Keane's a bully whose level of commitment of a player for Ireland was highly questionable to say the least.

The gall of him to cast aspersions towards Arter! 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 12:31am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Keane's a bully whose level of commitment of a player for Ireland was highly questionable to say the least.

Keane was, arguably, one of the best players in the world at his peak and was working under a manager who has form for pressuring players to put club before country [look how many games Ryan Giggs missed for Wales]. It is more unpalatable when a Championship standard player declares for Ireland, expecting to walk into the side, and chooses when he decides to show up. He's pulled out of several squads in questionable circumstances and it's no coincidence that three different managers [O'Neill, Keane and McCarthy] have questioned his motivation.

Leaving all that aside, he's been in and out of the Fulham team all season and is in a catch 22 situation with a future at Fulham or Bournemouth not guaranteed. He's 31 soon and I think there are better, younger, players available in the mold of Cullen and Molumby, not to mention McCarthy.

Reading between the lines, I don't think Arter's going to be happy to be a squad player at 31 years old and with an uncertain future at club level; I think he will put getting one last big contract as his #1 priority.

It's no loss for us. I would hate to see Cullen's progress impeded when he looks like a more finessed, disciplined version of Arter.

I wouldn't trust Arter holding the fort and sitting in front of the midfield. TBH I think there's a question re: what his best role even is. I think he's somewhere suited between being a sitting midfielder and an attacking midfielder, but he's not quite good enough for either role. Someone like McCarthy for example is a better tackler and is more intelligent about picking his battles. Arter flies into tackles, loses his composure, and generally looks like a yellow card waiting to happen.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 9:32am
I would have said it was far more unpalatable for a definite starter like Keane to not bother showing up than a fringe player like Arter who would have known he was unlikely to play anyway.

It's one thing not to show up for friendlies but people forget that Keane wasn't even arsed enough to go to Tehran for our biggest match in seven years at the time (not to mention his appalling behaviour the following summer).

Nobody involved with Irish football needs to take any lectures from Keane at this stage. He had his chance in management, and he was a disaster.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:22pm

Keane was, arguably, one of the best players in the world at his peak and was working under a manager who has form for pressuring players to put club before country [look how many games Ryan Giggs missed for Wales]. It is more unpalatable when a Championship standard player declares for Ireland, expecting to walk into the side, and chooses when he decides to show up. He's pulled out of several squads in questionable circumstances and it's no coincidence that three different managers [O'Neill, Keane and McCarthy] have questioned his motivation.

Leaving all that aside, he's been in and out of the Fulham team all season and is in a catch 22 situation with a future at Fulham or Bournemouth not guaranteed. He's 31 soon and I think there are better, younger, players available in the mold of Cullen and Molumby, not to mention McCarthy.

Reading between the lines, I don't think Arter's going to be happy to be a squad player at 31 years old and with an uncertain future at club level; I think he will put getting one last big contract as his #1 priority.

It's no loss for us. I would hate to see Cullen's progress impeded when he looks like a more finessed, disciplined version of Arter.

I wouldn't trust Arter holding the fort and sitting in front of the midfield. TBH I think there's a question re: what his best role even is. I think he's somewhere suited between being a sitting midfielder and an attacking midfielder, but he's not quite good enough for either role. Someone like McCarthy for example is a better tackler and is more intelligent about picking his battles. Arter flies into tackles, loses his composure, and generally looks like a yellow card waiting to happen.
Precisely accurate assessment of Arter's situation. You won't go down well on YBIG with that kind of sharp observation!
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm

There's a lot of truth in that.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 6:31pm

Keane has never managed Ireland. And I can't immediately bring to mind any quotes where O'Neill or McCarthy openly questioned Arter's commitment. I do remember Keane, as Ireland assistant manager verbally abusing Arter in a rather unprofessional manner.

Fact is, Arter's still available for selection, as confirmed by Kenny, and has so far opted against retiring from international football, as for example, Norwood did at t he age of 29 for the north.

It's very easy to put down and demean any of our players. We're a small nation with a totally dysfunctional and corrupt FA, A weak, poorly-attended, badly-financed and incompetently-run domestic league, and perhaps not unrelatedly, have absolutely no top class players to call upon.

Indeed we have not even have a solitary player in the first team at a major European club. Even Scotland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Norway, Wales, Canada and soon, probably the wee north have that..

Given that, it makes little sense to narrow your options still further and alienate a potentially useful player like 'Arry.

Let us remember, an aged Glenn Whelan of third-tier Fleetwood town was the fulcrum of our team during the last qualifying campaign.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 06 Aug 2020 at 6:39pm
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 6:49pm
Whelan turns up and is generally one of our more effective players when he get picked  (not saying a lot).  Neither of those can very accurately be applied to Harry A
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:50pm
Linked with Besiktas, Denizlispor and Ankaragucu.

Wasn't in the Bournemouth squad today, for whatever that's worth.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 10:59pm
Did he do some advertisement campaign in Turkey we didint know about? Hes adored by the masses over there it seems LOL
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:17pm
He won a go kart tournament there once.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:21pm
Is he a powerlifter? LOL
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:46pm
He got his hair done in the Istanbul hair clinic 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:53pm
Big in the Turk Oil wrestling scene too I hear. Could be where he picks up his mysterious injuries.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8788899091 93>
  Share Topic