You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halloween Horror Film Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:45pm
One of the best spooky films (I'm not interested in gory horror) I've ever seen is "The Haunting" made in 1963. It's based on Shirley Jackson's brilliant short novel "The Haunting of Hill House" which I strongly recommend reading before watching.

I'd also recommend "Don't Look Now".
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:03am
Not much of a fan of Horror films but the Original Woman in Black is unreal its on YouTube. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:00am
I find the Shining is more of a comedy.
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Stephen King was not impressed with Stanley Kubrick's film adaption. 

He was complementary about the visual quality of the film but had three big complaints about Kubrick's interpretation. Firstly, the ending of the film is completely different to the ending of the novel. Secondly, Jack Torrance's chronic alcoholism is underplayed. Thirdly, King thought Jack Nicolson was totally wrong for the role of Torrance. 

Before I forget another horror film I love is "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", a prequel to the TV series. FWWM is a horror that will also break your heart at the same time. You do need to have seen the TV series in full before watching it otherwise it will make no sense. The film is also much, much darker than the TV series. 

Edited by ErsatzThistle - 20 Oct 2020 at 1:49am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:02am
The Omen (original) scared the bejayus out of me around the time I first watched it as around a 12 year old at a friends house during a sleep over. 
The crucifix turning upside down as a sign of evil present stuck with me after and I would freak myself out if I was at home in a room where there was a crucifix (being from a very Catholic household there were many around the house). 
Out of all horrors, that one definitely gave me a run for my money.

The Ring 1 also freaked me out and would be one that I definitely wouldn't watch at home one me own with the lights off. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 20 Oct 2020 at 2:02am
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 9:08am
Not a movie, but the TV show of The Exorcist was excellent. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:05am

Aren't all horrors? I think that's the point too. I just don't find them very funny or interesting, 'The Shinning' being an exception. (I don't want to get us sued!)
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

One of the best spooky films (I'm not interested in gory horror) I've ever seen is "The Haunting" made in 1963. It's based on Shirley Jackson's brilliant short novel "The Haunting of Hill House" which I strongly recommend reading before watching.

I'd also recommend "Don't Look Now".

"Hell House" by Richard Matheson (who also wrote "I Am Legend") is in a similar vein to "The Haunting of Hill House" and is worth a read if you enjoyed Jackson's book.

"Event Horizon" is a great shout - very underrated film as Lass points out.

Two more recent horror films which are decent I've just remembered are "The Invitation" and "It Follows".

Also for what it's worth I preferred the ending of "The Shining" in the film to the book. The ending in the book is very Hollywood-esque.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Paulie Paulie wrote:

Let the Right One In is another.

I hope you're talking about the original Swedish version as I thought the remake was poor. 

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:41pm

He was complementary about the visual quality of the film but had three big complaints about Kubrick's interpretation. Firstly, the ending of the film is completely different to the ending of the novel. Secondly, Jack Torrance's chronic alcoholism is underplayed. Thirdly, King thought Jack Nicolson was totally wrong for the role of Torrance. 

Before I forget another horror film I love is "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me", a prequel to the TV series. FWWM is a horror that will also break your heart at the same time. You do need to have seen the TV series in full before watching it otherwise it will make no sense. The film is also much, much darker than the TV series. 

What was the ending in the book of The Shining?

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

What was the ending in the book of The Shining?

Lisa discovers Willie's television.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 12:58pm
I thought Roy Keane is discovered frozen outside the maze
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 11:03pm
what’s the one with David soul and the kid knocking on the window of the upstairs bedroom...Salem’s lot??? f**k me I couldn’t sleep for ages at night after seeing that as a kid.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
ChesterCopperpot View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChesterCopperpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:10am
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 9:38am
Ireland v Denmark Dublin 2017
AKA pedantic kunt
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 10:21am
Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/new-study-ranks-scariest-horror-films-by-average-heart-rate-2791307

Couple of decent ones in here

The first four films on that list are all on Netflix as well.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Originally posted by ChesterCopperpot ChesterCopperpot wrote:

https://www.nme.com/news/film/new-study-ranks-scariest-horror-films-by-average-heart-rate-2791307

Couple of decent ones in here

The first four films on that list are all on Netflix as well.

Have seen a few of those, some I'd call more jump scare rather then being overall scary throughout. for example and spoilers

Insidious I didn't find really that scary bar the jump scare where the devil figure appears in the mirror for a split second, same with Paranormal activity another film which has perhaps one or two jump scares but overall isn't that scary.

Nice to see some old school thrillers on there like Alien and The Thing.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 3:26pm
To be honest, there is a whole host of these movies, like Sinister, The Nun, Insidious etc etc. I think they're horrible. As Lass says above, it bases its scares on loud music "jump scares". It's cheap. Not a fan
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic