You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Guinness drinkers??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Have started drinking cans of Guinness when having a rare drink at home. Its not as bad as expected.

Bet all the t**sers who've let everyone go wish they hung on now. State will cover most of the costs. 

There is a technique to pouring a can Guinness. But apparently you need a Guinness glass, which regularly comes as a promotion with a box of cans.

Apparently, you open the can and let it rest for 45 Seconds, like any drink, you tilt the glass, and pour the drink, raising the glass at a certain point and never fully turning the cab upside down. There are youtube videos about this.

It’s not the same as a good pint on draft (not least because the can doesn’t contain a full pint), but it is generally good, and I have used it as a substitute.

In a Guinness glass, I put the can right into the glass fully upside down (like 180 degrees) and pour, lifting the can out as the Guinness fills the glass like 1 cm away from the Guinness until it’s full. Very quick but gets the head just right 

Edited by t_rAndy - 26 Mar 2020 at 8:07am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The 1st thing Charlie Chawke did was lay off all it's staff.

Itching for a few pints of plain myself now

Link? It wouldn’t have made sense to lay off all permanent staff. They’d be no different to every other pub if they laid off the temp staff. Same with most businesses in the hospitality industry. I’d like to know an example of a pub or hotel group that have kept all staff on at full pay up until the Governments announcement. Two a penny be my guess.

Spent last weekend on the cans of Guinness. Went down a treat in fairness. Rarely drink at home but now the new norm will be cans of Guinness. Will try bottles if I find them in the supermarkets- couldn’t see them on my last couple of trips.

Was drinking those carribean Guinness over there. 60 cent a bottle in a bar and about 7.3% IIRC. Good stuff, slight whiff of coffee aftertaste 
That’s the Guinness Foreign Extra, or the Nigerian Guinness, as it often called. Nice enough stuff, loved by Africans and West Indians. Have too many and you might need some plumbing done.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The 1st thing Charlie Chawke did was lay off all it's staff.

Itching for a few pints of plain myself now
One of his ex staff was on FB saying folk should remember this when it all starts up again. Very ****ish of him

Is this true? All staff in his bars? 

Know nothing of the story as havent seen or read anything.

But ceased on payroll without termination of employment is an option. Therefore all his employees can draw the 350 per week for the next 12 weeks. I know for many 350 per week isnt enough but it's a significant lump of cash if you are earning less than €12 per hour. 

I'm sure he has red circled key staff for snakey top ups too. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:12pm
Decided to go for a few Guinness tonight. Tried to avoid having them during lockdown because I’m not a big fan of the cans. Local Irish bar selling the Guiness glasses so bought a few for the apartment. Going down lovely - don’t know if I always was too harsh on canned Guiness beforehand or it’s because I haven’t a pint of it in weeks! 
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:59pm
I'm literally dreaming of pints now. 

Had a dream about a week back that I was climbing a big wide stairs in an old tenement building and on every second step beside the wall there was a creamy pint of Guinness. I knew that once I got to the top of the stairs, I could turn around and drink them as I went back down the stairs, but sure enough, as soon as I reached the top, I woke up from my dream Cry
http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Gabrieléire Gabrieléire wrote:

Decided to go for a few Guinness tonight. Tried to avoid having them during lockdown because I’m not a big fan of the cans. Local Irish bar selling the Guiness glasses so bought a few for the apartment. Going down lovely - don’t know if I always was too harsh on canned Guiness beforehand or it’s because I haven’t a pint of it in weeks! 

They’re good stuff. Very much a snobbery existed with cans in the past.

Times a changing. They’re definitely better than a bad pint and easily on par with an average pint when poured well
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 2:31pm
The cans are fine compared with the previous ones which were pretty poor. The widgets were a real game changer and it certainly helps having the right sized glass. Near impossible to beat a good draught pint in an Irish pub but personally I also enjoy bottled Guinness where I can find it, i.e. the old school traditional stuff. Completely different drink from the draught but unique also. Some of the foreign varieties such as the Nigerian are pretty lethal. Had a pint of draught in Hoi An in Vietnam last year at the Shamrock bar, which claims to be the only bar in the country selling it. It was drinkable but expensive and far removed from the gold standard which is here in Ireland.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:14pm
The old school Guinness is the bollocks. Still the best beer I have tasted and impossible to just have one. You can get it in cans here and I'm convinced it is even better than the pint bottle, but it has been a while since I have had the pleasure. 
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The old school Guinness is the bollocks. Still the best beer I have tasted and impossible to just have one. You can get it in cans here and I'm convinced it is even better than the pint bottle, but it has been a while since I have had the pleasure. 

nothing is better than a pint bottle of Guinness Clap
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:57pm
The cans have been great for the lockdown. Once ya get the hang of the pour they're a very good substitute. The main difference for me is drinking them on a couch. Different feel to being on a high or small stool.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

nothing is better than a pint bottle of Guinness Clap

Dead
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

The cans have been great for the lockdown. Once ya get the hang of the pour they're a very good substitute. The main difference for me is drinking them on a couch. Different feel to being on a high or small stool.
Don't really think it makes one bit of difference the way you pour the can once it's chilled. Either your tasting it with your eyes or my taste buds are fcuked.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:15pm
You taste everything with your eyes. Visual stimulation is a huge part of enjoying any food or drink.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:19pm

I didn't have a clue they made pint bottles of Guinness until about 10 years ago. You wouldn't see it in the west all. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:15am
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Don't really think it makes one bit of difference the way you pour the can once it's chilled. Either your tasting it with your eyes or my taste buds are fcuked.
Nah ya need the Guinness to have the right ratio of head and black stuff. More than most drinks, the pouring is key IMO.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:00pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Some prices here.

Class value everywhere around here is €5.20 plus unfortunately no such thing as a cheap night out these days.
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:44pm
Havent found anywhere post covid doing pints under a fiver in Dublin. Average being €5.20 - €5.60 where I drink.

Before Covid couple places had pints for €4.20 - € 4.80.

Been a long time since I seen pints under €4 though, €3.90 is savage value.

Probably have to go back to peak recession times when the pubs couldn't get enough through the doors. My local done €3 mid week pints then, was great the Champions League nights. 3 pints and a packet of Bacon Fries for a tenner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic