You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ground Rankings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ground Rankings
    Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 1:02pm
What's your favourite grounds as an away fan? Talking purely about the stadium and matchday experience there so not the surrounds (I'd have Pats even higher up for the pre match pints across the road based on that for example).

Mine, from where I've been are.

Top tier
1. Bohs - two bars, good view, good atmosphere, history, everything you could want
2. Drogs - could equally be bottom but I love how close you get to the pitch

Look forward to the visit
3. Cork
4. Pats 
5. Galway
6. Cabo - great to have a bar overlooking the pitch
7. Dundalk (crap ground but you're right on top of the action)
8. Derry (not been to the new one)

Passable
9. UCD
10. Limerick
11. Shels
12. Wexford
13. Harps

Soulless grounds you're miles from the pitch

14. Waterford (to be fair, I went with less than 200 people there, prob different now)
15. Tallaght - I really don't like it, cold, open, never been an atmosphere when I've been (with Bray or not) and even if there was I can't imagine the stadium could contain it, too far from the pitch, everything that is wrong with new build stadiums.
16. Athlone 

Not been to the others

If I was judging Bray as an away fans just on the ground I'd have had it pretty close to the bottom I'd imagine.

Sponsored Links

OohAah... View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 1:39pm
Haven't had a  bad experience( apart from results) yet but haven't been to them all but so far...

1: Harps Ground: Friendly and surprisingly had a good away experience, get to stand beside the pitch in the away section. And the Homemade Soup they do is worth it and needed up there.

2: Limerick: Good Experience, Nice to have a stand to hide under in the rain. 
3: Dundalk: Good but the waiting around a is a pain.
4: Rovers: Grand. Good Jacks, No Queues.

Have been to games only been to Cork and Pats ans Neutral, both good grounds and look forward to doing them as a fan.

Look forward this year to getting to...
Cork, Derry, Sligo, Waterford.

and revisit limerick again. But Would have really liked that Galway were still about.

Edited by OohAah... - 18 Apr 2018 at 1:40pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 1:46pm
depends for what your looking for really, if its bright modern stadiums your looking for then Tallaght, RSC and Turners Cross top the league, But for me I always love the trip to Dalymount Park, always feel the nostalgia that is surrounding you even if the away end is an absoloute kip. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:06pm
Best for me are
 Galway(stewards and everyone at the club always welcoming, decent ground. Best away trip for me.

Cork (New toilets are excellent although the mens got blocked off for away fans after the game, guards are a bit over the top, will try and push you onto a bus even if you didn't come down on one)

Sligo

Worst ones
 Bohs (Being behind the goal is bad enough without being below pitch level.)

Bray (Always rains when we play there, wind is worse than Tallaght)

Dundalk(Can't see all of the pitch, kept back for about 30 minutes everytime, just looks like a dump.)
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:23pm
Obviously the experience for home fans in these grounds will be different, as it will be for clubs who bring no support, i.e. 2 portaloo's maybe ok for 20 people, not ok for a couple of hundred

Dalymount: shed is a disgrace can't see the match

Inchicore: same problem as dalymount with the shed, section of the stand is inadequate with only one entrance, horrible geebag monitoring the entrance to the stand. New "soulless" stadium can't come quick enough for me

Oriel: can't see the pitch, no cover, no toilet facilities.

Turner's Cross: excellent

Waterford: excellent bar inadequate toilet facilities

Brandywell: don't know where away fans will be in the new brandywell, view in the old section was bad, everything else excellent

Bray: kip

Sligo: can't see the match due to too many poles, no toilets

Limerick: excellent bar inadequate toilet facilities.

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:26pm
My favourite is Ballybofey and like Galway, Drogheda and Sligo....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:52pm
Bohs - Although rarely go to Des Kelly, Jodi is great even if the rest has fallen apart. 
Pats - Very close to the pitch in the away end and view not bad
Galway - Lovely ground
Brandywell - Haven't been to the new one, looking forward to heading up next month, delighted the hill has been sorted. 
Sligo, Athlone, Tallaght, Longford - inoffensive modern grounds
Shels - Decent four sided ground even if it's also fallen into disrepair
Limerick - Big improvement on Jackman anyway, pitch is sh*te though
RSC - Looks good on telly but hate grounds with running tracks so being there in person is not great
UCD - like the club it's perfectly nice if a little boring
Cobh - First Ground I was ever in, definitely not worthy of a Premier License
Bray - Uncovered away section and no home fans, the dart and hibernian saves it a bit but criteria was grounds only
Dundalk - Everyone knows about Oriel, no point going through it again.
Drogheda - Have to wrap a scarf around your nose to go to the jacks, mad to think that they won the league there not that long ago, it's a sh*tehole

Haven't been - Wexford, Cabo, Finn Harps

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

And when was that??? Have you been back since??Ermm

Ramblers only have a 1st division licence and I can think of far worse grounds with premier licences

Edited by ShamtheRam - 18 Apr 2018 at 3:53pm
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Obviously the experience for home fans in these grounds will be different, as it will be for clubs who bring no support, i.e. 2 portaloo's maybe ok for 20 people, not ok for a couple of hundred

Dalymount: shed is a disgrace can't see the match

Inchicore: same problem as dalymount with the shed, section of the stand is inadequate with only one entrance, horrible geebag monitoring the entrance to the stand. New "soulless" stadium can't come quick enough for me

Oriel: can't see the pitch, no cover, no toilet facilities.

Turner's Cross: excellent

Waterford: excellent bar inadequate toilet facilities

Brandywell: don't know where away fans will be in the new brandywell, view in the old section was bad, everything else excellent

Bray: kip

Sligo: can't see the match due to too many poles, no toilets

Limerick: excellent bar inadequate toilet facilities.

Was never able to find the bar in Market Fields or the RSC
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

And when was that??? Have you been back since??Ermm

Ramblers only have a 1st division licence and I can think of far worse grounds with premier licences

Been back a handful of times, wouldn't be a regular or anything.  I agree with you on there being terrible grounds with Prem licenses but that wasn't really my point. 
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

I see what you did there. Bar has several meanings, and you pretended that you misinterpreted the meaning I intended, to comic effect. Clap

Edited by Tony Cousins - 18 Apr 2018 at 4:39pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 5:08pm
I would consider Colman's Park as one of my favourite places to watch football and I have never been quite able to pin down exactly why. It has this wonderful feel to it that makes it quintessentially Irish, defiantly local but never parochial.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 8:40pm
Big fan Of Dalymount i must say love the Jodi for some reason .

As for bad i think St Mels, Athlone was as bad as anywhere i have ever been , thanks goodness it has gone .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
Bohs - Always enjoy visiting Dalymount...Good view, great bars and so much history 
Pats - Great little ground that serves it's purpose. Good bars nearby and a godd mix of terrace and seating
Galway - A pleasant surprise. Great views from the stands. Sound people. Not falling apart like most others
Brandywell - Not been in it since it's been done up. Main stand was grand, greyhound track lost it marks and the feeling of not being safe outside the ground doen't help
Sligo - Been done up really well. Was in bad shape in the 90s when I visited first. Good away end to make noise but not a great view in certain parts
Athlone - Souless spot. Gave me 50 quid back instead of twenty though which I only realised later which was nice of them
Tallaght - Never been
Longford - Decent ground. Too big for the crowds they get though and a bit far out of town
Shels - Very delapitated. Don't really enjoy watching games ther
Limerick - Main stand looks good...Away stand is sh*te as were the stewards. Pure jobsworths
RSC - Really nice ground and friendly welcome...only downside is athletics track
UCD - Nice little ground. Novelty value of being in the middle of a college
Cobh - Class spot. Tidy little ground and a good bar
Bray - Good place for a pint but the ground itself I wouldn't be a fan off
Dundalk - Kinda like the place for some strange reason. Away end is so bad it's good
Drogheda - Really like the away end. They were mad to search me for pyro and or/drugs that they actually asked to inspect my wallet!
Cabo - Never been
Harps - Home. Falling apart but I love it
Cork - Really nice ground, friendly knowledgable supporters. Free bbq in the pub nearby beforehand was a bonus
Wexford - Never been

Bar Harps my rankings would be

1. Cobh
2. Bohs
3. Pats
4. Cork
5. Drogs
6. Galway
7. Sligo
8. Dundalk
9. RSC
10. Derry
11. Longford
12. Limerick
13. UCD
14. Bray
15. Shels
16. Athlone

Edited by thebronze14 - 19 Apr 2018 at 10:16am
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

I see what you did there. Bar has several meanings, and you pretended that you misinterpreted the meaning I intended, to comic effect. Clap

Got me - but it stemmed from me *actually* misinterpreting the RSC on while scanning. Haven't been there since I was a kid and got so excited.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:05pm
so the fai announce a new stadium in partnership with Louth county council, for a team with no fans in drogheda.

Meanwhile there's another game in Louth tonight were fans can't attend as the stadium is sold out due to limited capacity

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
sullo-bohs View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sullo-bohs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

so the fai announce a new stadium in partnership with Louth county council, for a team with no fans in drogheda.

Meanwhile there's another game in Louth tonight were fans can't attend as the stadium is sold out due to limited capacity

With all due respect it wasn't that long ago that Drogheda were League Champions and Dundalk played in front of 50 people on a Thursday in the first division. 
"Napoleon chose his generals because they were lucky, not because they were brave"
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

anyway as we all know things things never happen...
you've go your lovely American backers and all that uefa money.... build one yourselves...

Come on Irelind
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic