You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Graham Taylor "Do I Not Like That"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 8:34am
Originally posted by KrisMorrisKross KrisMorrisKross wrote:

Up there with the best football documentaries of all time. Savage Harsh on Taylor, Lawrie McMenamy and Phil Neal and I think Taylor was very bitter with the editing. Neal is one of the most decorated players in the English game but he was made to look an idiot, the programme basically ended his career. Taylor may have been a nice man but his style of football was medieval. Alan Smith for Gary Lineker ! Swedes 1 Turnips 0 was the forerunner of the Muppets turning up at Gannon Park

i dont understand the implied "bad decision" with alan smith. these 2 played together at leicester and the partnership kept leicester in the old division 1, before smith went on to arsenal and picked up a few pots, while lineker enjoyed spells at evetton, barca and tottenham. Smith was a very good centre forward - this substitution came at the end of linekers international career i believe
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
Sponsored Links

Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 8:59am
Taylor had astonishing success as a club manager bringing Watford from div 4 all the way to runners up in the top division in just 6 years. He also got Villa back up from the old div2 and they also finished runners-up in the top league.

However, his managerial skills took a battering with England. He was very fortunate to even get two terms as in the 1992 qualifiers, they mugged us for top place. At the championships in Sweden his team probably gave the worst ever England performance at any major championship finals. He took record goalscorer, Gary Lineker off in the last game against Sweden, when all they needed was one goal to make the semi-finals.

He then followed that up with the failure to qualify for USA '94. Leaving aside the bad luck in Rotterdam, he led his team to their most infamous defeat ever to the emerging Norway, who also drew with them at Wembley.
He refused to play flair players like Waddle, Beardsley and even Gascoine at times.  No wonder the press slated him.
I was amazed he even got two terms. He was a terrible international manager.
Eamon Numpty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamon Numpty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 11:37am
A wonderful man. Yes. Hes a charming man and Ive had a chat with him on a few occasions and is always courteous and generous with his time. However Bill, he just didnt cut it with his tactics at the top level. He just didnt have IT which would put him up there with the Alex Fergusons,Bill Shankly's and Eoin Hands of this world. A marvellous human being though and I look forward to having a singsong and a few bacardi and cokes with him in the near future
KrisMorrisKross View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisMorrisKross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by packiesglove packiesglove wrote:

Originally posted by KrisMorrisKross KrisMorrisKross wrote:

Up there with the best football documentaries of all time. Savage Harsh on Taylor, Lawrie McMenamy and Phil Neal and I think Taylor was very bitter with the editing. Neal is one of the most decorated players in the English game but he was made to look an idiot, the programme basically ended his career. Taylor may have been a nice man but his style of football was medieval. Alan Smith for Gary Lineker ! Swedes 1 Turnips 0 was the forerunner of the Muppets turning up at Gannon Park

i dont understand the implied "bad decision" with alan smith. these 2 played together at leicester and the partnership kept leicester in the old division 1, before smith went on to arsenal and picked up a few pots, while lineker enjoyed spells at evetton, barca and tottenham. Smith was a very good centre forward - this substitution came at the end of linekers international career i believe
15 minutes left and you need a goal. Gary Lineker 80 Caps, 48 Goals or Alan Smith 13 Caps, 2 Goals ? 
Back o' the Net !
The Vodka Yeti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Vodka Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 1:42am
FreeWheeler, thanks for posting that, haven't seen that documentary since it was transmitted mid-90's, it's fascinating!

I've never met Graham Taylor, but those of my friends who have, say nothing but positive things about him. When he's shipped off overseas to do some radio/tv co-commentating he can often be found sitting amongst the fans on a budget airline, quite happy to chat with them and share some banter.

Some people are excellent club managers but not cut out for international level (you could say the same about some players too), and unfortunately Taylor was one of them.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:56pm
Watching this cracking documentary again. 

Phil Neal is like a parrott in it LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

a real f**king yes man
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:07pm
Phil Neal with the exact hand gestures and agreeing with everything Taylor says.  LOL

Brilliant documentary.   The football played by England was horrific.  They were rubbish.  That performance in Oslo was shambolic.

Taylor was a good guy and you definitely feel sorry for him in it.  But that team talk in Katowice wasn't exactly inspiring.

''We now go to Norway and if at all possible we win that game. What we must not do is lose to them''

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:24pm

I listened to a podcast with Paul Merson a while back and his impression of Lawrie McMenemy had me in stitches.  He used to just walk around the place with a cigar saying: 'do what ya do with your clubs.'LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:37pm
Carlton!!!
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:54pm
'Hit Les!'

How did they ever allow it!
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:07pm
Bought this in Chapters years ago on VHS for a Euro. Great entertainment. Carlton Palmer scores against San Marino and Taylor says “What the fook is Carlton doing up there”?

LOLLOL
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:50pm
I always thought England were cheated in the Dutch match regarding the Koeman foul but never realized the Dutch had a goal that was ridiculously ruled out for offside in the first half. Rijkaard was almost a yard onside. Awful decision and he didn't protest it either.     
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I listened to a podcast with Paul Merson a while back and his impression of Lawrie McMenemy had me in stitches.  He used to just walk around the place with a cigar saying: 'do what ya do with your clubs.'LOL

LOL
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:52pm

My impression of Phil Neal was always that he was a thundering dickhead. 

Mention of this has me thinking of the time Fabio Capello was shoving Stuart Pearce around the English dugout at the 2010 World Cup. 

Psycho turned poodle.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 2:54pm

I always thought England were cheated in the Dutch match regarding the Koeman foul but never realized the Dutch had a goal that was ridiculously ruled out for offside in the first half. Rijkaard was almost a yard onside. Awful decision and he didn't protest it either.     
It was some free-kick from him too. Another player I loved as a kid! It seemed quite exotic to see a defender who could play football.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

My impression of Phil Neal was always that he was a thundering dickhead. 

Mention of this has me thinking of the time Fabio Capello was shoving Stuart Pearce around the English dugout at the 2010 World Cup. 

Psycho turned poodle.

I seem to recall The Observer wrote an article in 2005 about 20 years after Hysel.  Of all the players The Observer spoke to, Phil Neal was the one they couldn't get any quotes from because he was the only one who demanded a fee.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 5:56pm
I just saw the footage with Neal and a Taylor (RIP). It was like when Ted and Dougal managed the Over 75s.

Neal would be a tough mortgage broker.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic