Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Graham Taylor "Do I Not Like That"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Graham Taylor "Do I Not Like That"
    Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:03pm
For any of yiz who haven't seen this before, or even if you have, so worth another view.  The story of England's disastrous WC1994 qualifying campaign, some absolutely golden moments of footage throughout. 

We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:10pm
"can we not knock it"
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 6:39pm
It's like watching The Royal Family when they're sitting on the bench LOL 
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:35pm
Well worth a watch alright. The set-up seemed fairly shambolic there, and GT didn't seem to know what he was at half the time.

Have always thought he seems like a very nice bloke though, TBF, and he handled the amount/ferocity of the abuse he got with a lot of dignity.
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:36am
Have it on video in me mams somewhere
Used to always watch it when in need of a laugh!
Carlton Palmer
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:38am
Taylor's a thoroughly decent man and Jaysus they really got some diabolical decsions in Rotterdam that time.  Phil Neal came across as just an echo.  Taylor did an awful lot in saving Paul McGrath's career and all and I'd always be grateful to him for that.  But the documentary on its own is pure gold. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 2:43am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Taylor's a thoroughly decent man and Jaysus they really got some diabolical decsions in Rotterdam that time.  Phil Neal came across as just an echo.  Taylor did an awful lot in saving Paul McGrath's career and all and I'd always be grateful to him for that.  But the documentary on its own is pure gold. 

Completely agree (unsurprisingly as you can imagine)........have met him numerous times over the last few decades, and not just at Watford FC related events
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
reder View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:07am

Taylor's a thoroughly decent man. 

As decent a man as you will ever find. I am reading Paul McGrath's book at the moment and he was incredibly good to Paul throughout his time at Villa. He was treated dreadfully by the English footballing media towards the end of his tenure.

Edited by reder - 09 Dec 2011 at 3:08am
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:13am
graham taylor , the manager who deemed Carlton Palmer good enough for international football

Sheikh Yerbouti View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheikh Yerbouti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:48am
The way he handled Paul McGrath was nothing short of impeccable, and Paul will forever be grateful to him.
The England job simply wasn't right for him, and the red tops typically wasted no time or effort getting stuck into him.
I’m technically Catholic, it’s the box you have to tick on the census form: 'Don’t believe in God, but I do still hate Rangers.' - Dara Ó Briain
packiesglove View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote packiesglove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:39pm
Taylor is a top football man, and, as said,  deserves credit for helping mcgrath. Press treatment of him, and the now revered Bobby Robson was shameful, they hounded both during their reigns
When you're chewing on life's gristle, don't worry give a whistle....
IrishPride View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishPride Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 12:46pm
Fantastic Documentary, Felt really sorry for taylor though. Seems like a lovely man and treated the players well i.e flying out to meet face to face with david platt. Saved our own Paul McGrath and handled him brilliantly too. 

Poison Chalice of Football. They get all that they deserve. ****s
Galway Will Win The 2014 Hurling Championship
KrisMorrisKross View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisMorrisKross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:51pm
Up there with the best football documentaries of all time. Savage Harsh on Taylor, Lawrie McMenamy and Phil Neal and I think Taylor was very bitter with the editing. Neal is one of the most decorated players in the English game but he was made to look an idiot, the programme basically ended his career. Taylor may have been a nice man but his style of football was medieval. Alan Smith for Gary Lineker ! Swedes 1 Turnips 0 was the forerunner of the Muppets turning up at Gannon Park
Back o' the Net !
Eamon Numpty View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamon Numpty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 4:00pm
Taylor is a lovely man, He was a pillar of strength for Paul McGrath. Yes, he really was a wonderful human being, disliked by the scum on fleet street during his England manageral career.  People like Rod Liddle. Thats the fella that left his wife and ran off with a young wan.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Eamon Numpty Eamon Numpty wrote:

Taylor is a lovely man, He was a pillar of strength for Paul McGrath. Yes, he really was a wonderful human being, disliked by the scum on fleet street during his England manageral career.  People like Rod Liddle. Thats the fella that left his wife and ran off with a young wan.

LOL, I recall you saying that on telly Eamo, gold.  Liddle is a dickhead. 
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 7:27am
Some people have said the quality that England had back then was dire in comparison to other campaigns, but you'd still expect them to qualify regardless and if it weren't for a few diabolical decisions in the Holland game they would have had!

I think most of us here have the utmost of repsect for the man. Poison chalice or not, he, no one for that matter deserves that kind of treatment from the papers. I truly despise tabloids Angry

It is a class documentary, downloaded all the parts from youtube and have it on my ps3!
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 8:17am
Remember Graham Taylor being interviewed on ITV on the Saint and Gravsie show (I think) and the two were messing around beofre Elton Welsby turned to Graham Taylor and said "And now here's someone to important to joke around about, Graham Taylor!". A decent man who was always available to the media and they crucified him because of it. That speech he gave beofre the Poland game was imspirational and he had the respect of the players. But, God, did that man know nothing about international football! My favourite part of the doc was the "Hit Les! Hit Les! Hit Les!" and nobody was paying any attention to him. One of the best docs EVER about football.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 8:21am

For any of yiz who haven't seen this before, or even if you have, so worth another view.  The story of England's disastrous WC1994 qualifying campaign, some absolutely golden moments of footage throughout. 

remember when that came out first on cutting edge LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL comedy gold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic