You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gordon Elliott ex trainer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by SeanyL SeanyL wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

if I did a survey of my mates I would say f**k all of them
have any interest in horse racing.  
I agree that perhaps the leading story is over the top, but I don't agree that it is blown out of proportion. 

And I don't believe that you need an interest in horse racing either. An enormous amount of tax payers money goes into it and I think therefor this story is in the public interest. I have no real time for it at all to be honest. 
The Government and Irish people get an absolutely fantastic return from the money they invest in horse racing each year, as the below Deloitte report shows.  
Had a quick scan through this, what's the return for government? The staff would likely be employed elsewhere so their taxes are aren't specific to the industry. What betting tax are they talking about? Is it tax on Paddy Power profits?

I'm always sceptical when an industry commissions a re report on itself, they can basically pay Deloitte to say what they want, and if they don't like it, they'll just not release it

If that is what you believe then that would apply to all jobs. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I agree that perhaps the leading story is over the top, but I don't agree that it is blown out of proportion. 

And I don't believe that you need an interest in horse racing either. An enormous amount of tax payers money goes into it and I think therefor this story is in the public interest. I have no real time for it at all to be honest. 
The Government and Irish people get an absolutely fantastic return from the money they invest in horse racing each year, as the below Deloitte report shows.  
Had a quick scan through this, what's the return for government? The staff would likely be employed elsewhere so their taxes are aren't specific to the industry. What betting tax are they talking about? Is it tax on Paddy Power profits?

I'm always sceptical when an industry commissions a re report on itself, they can basically pay Deloitte to say what they want, and if they don't like it, they'll just not release it

That's kinda my point. If the government subsidised the income for pigeon racing industry then we'd have more people able to be professional pigeon racing trainers. 

If they subsidised the income for paper rounds we'd have more people doing paper rounds.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:11pm

That's kinda my point. If the government subsidised the income for pigeon racing industry then we'd have more people able to be professional pigeon racing trainers. 

If they subsidised the income for paper rounds we'd have more people doing paper rounds.

It not just people like trainers and people who work in yards. It's farriers, people who make the equipment, people who work on racecourses, people who work for the companies making the horse feed, vets, transport companies etc. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 11:13am
I see Panorama are doing a hatch job on racing tonight by the looks of it. Throwing Elliot's name into the mix to try and make it more sensational even though whatever happened would, most likely, have had nothing to do with him. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 11:54am

I see Panorama are doing a hatch job on racing tonight by the looks of it. Throwing Elliot's name into the mix to try and make it more sensational even though whatever happened would, most likely, have had nothing to do with him. 

So there isn’t horsey heaven ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

So there isn’t horsey heaven ? 

There isn't any heaven!!!
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 10:31pm
In terms of blame for the sport of horse racing itself I thought the documentary was tame enough. A lot of the horses shown were not thoroughbred racehorses at all you could tell by looking at them, and despite their attempts to blame Gordon Elliott and Gavin Cromwell for everything, surely the focus should be on the people operating these abattoirs?

Some sad scenes all the same with the horses in the slaughter houses 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic