Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 159>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

My new name is Wax

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:42am
Recently signed one year contract extension with Fleetwood too. 
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:50am
Surprised Egan isn't on the list. Thought that he's been good for ireland
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 12:33pm
Put a fork in him. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by max max wrote:

Recently signed one year contract extension with Fleetwood too. 
Seen that. Old pal favour from Joey Barton!
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 1:41pm

'It’s disappointing that a couple of players were given a lifeline when, under Mick, they didn’t want to play'

Harry Arter is obviously one of the players he's on about. Can't think of anyone else. I can't help but think that it's better to let sleeping dogs lie, though, after a constant bombardment of negative media stories surrounding the camp involving Arter, Walters, Keane, O'Neill and the FAI mole. I expected better from Whelan.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 2:00pm
Very little wrong in what he’s saying IMO 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Very little wrong in what he’s saying IMO 

He's 37 years old this month and in and out of a League One team, though. He has almost a 100 caps despite being a very limited player. He should be thankful for what he has. There's no need to be bitter.

It's also a little bit undermining to Kenny again, even if that's not his intention.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 2:17pm
Arter and McCarthy presumably. I don't think either particularly improved the team compared to what he offered but as a 37 year old in League 1 it was probably fair enough for Kenny to call time on his international career if he wasn't going to do it himself.

Having said that, I wish all of our players were as committed to the national team as he clearly was.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 2:42pm
I think there is something to be said about lads not retiring from international football. Football has change to such an extent that other honours are being chased and club careers are being prioritised, but there is something special about representing your country, that I'm sure is the biggest regret for some footballers who had long and rich careers at the top level, but they just didn't break international at senior level. As such, there is almost an argument to be made that you either retire generally, or wait until you are no longer selected and simply fade away, while always being notionally available.

Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:36pm
He did unbelievably well to win the number of caps he did, you would prefer to see him just be happy with that rather than trying to muddy the waters for the new management teqm, especially considering he cannot argue he is anywhere near the standard required anymore playing in an average League One team
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:38pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 3:41pm

Excellent contribution as always.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:10pm
Nothing wrong with what he said. He's more than entitled to have an opinion on the Irish team given his service and there's probably a few home truths when it comes to one or two players. 

That said, Whelan isn't up to the standard anymore and I'm still glad Kenny is starting with a clean slate in respects to the players Whelan is referring to. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Nothing wrong with what he said. He's more than entitled to have an opinion on the Irish team given his service and there's probably a few home truths when it comes to one or two players. 

That said, Whelan isn't up to the standard anymore and I'm still glad Kenny is starting with a clean slate in respects to the players Whelan is referring to. 

To be fair he played a hell of a lot of games and operated as one of the senior players in the heart of midfield in one of irelands worst declines in living memory. 

You could argue that he was never up to standard but just a lesser of some really terrible options.

Cant question his commitment as he always gave 100% but can't see how he could be considered a good player for ireland.

I appreciate people see it differently from me though 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:14am
How was it 'one of irelands worst declines in living memory. '?

We qualified for 2 Euro's during his tenure.

The last campaign we finished 3rd with qualifying came down to the last game, which we knew would happen before a ball was kicked.

Edited by horsebox - 06 Jan 2021 at 9:18am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

The last campaign we finished 3rd with qualifying came down to the last game, which we knew would happen before a ball was kicked.

Horse... we've been terrible for years, i shouldn't have to point that out on this forum of all places.

Need I remind you how we faired in one of those euros.

We have played some terrible football with a few desperate last minute results to give us some credibility without actually playing well at all.

In away games, the tactic of parking the bus and hoping that the opposition have a poor night in front of goal has seen us pick up a few undeserved but crucial away points. (However, your luck runs out)

Majority of our players have been mediocre performers at best and I'm sorry to say that Whelan is one of those players.

Negativity aside - the future looks really promising, some of the players coming through are the best I've seen for a very long time.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 2:12pm
We've went 8/9 games and scoring 1 goal - with no wins.

The future doesn't look promising. It's wishful thinking and delusional. At least none that will make a significant impact in driving us forward to qualifying for the WC.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

From the absolute highs of the early 90’s, Ireland has been on a slow decline. From 1st seeds in mid 90’s to 3rd seeds now but we have qualified for a WC and 2 Euro’s in that period.

There hasn’t been any sudden decline and it’s certainly not Whelan’s fault. 

For worst decline see our Neighbours Scotland.

5 out of 6 world cups up to 98 and add in 92 and 96 Euro’s.
Then nothing for 22 years!!  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156157 159>
  Share Topic