You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 159>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:29am
If Glenn isn't getting games or doesn't get a club between now and March it is hard to see him playing the play off's.

Who should replace him?
McCarthy
Molumby
Arter
It's not me it's you:-)
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Ecumenical Matter Ecumenical Matter wrote:

Whelan is 36. Far better players than him have been finished well before that age. Time catches up and managers don’t necessarily have an agenda when they let the older lads go. Tough but there it is. 

As for playing for Ireland, all you can ask a limited player to do is his best. In recent games he has pretty near played up to his limits and was the pick of the midfield. You can’t blame him for that; you look at the others with more potential who fell far short of it. 

Can’t see him doing better than League 1 if he gets another gig. Should not be in the frame for Slovakia. 

Yes, but it's hard to find a player in the squad who isn't limited. It's just that some are more limited than others. The manager is limited too, as will Kenny when he gets the reins. There are certainly fans on here, and I use the term guardedly, who are Platinum Class Grade A limited.

But I think your point is well made. How can we escape the limited thing? Well, as you should know,  that would be a ecumenical matter.

Offer playing to other players in that position, make amends, take a punt. There are alternatives. We were put into an awful position when a month before the campaign started a CDM who could have been a stalwart for the team defected to England. This left us with little time. McCarthy was injured, Meyler retiring, Cullen playing lower leagues, and Molumby yet to make a breakthrough. You could have potentially asked Coleman (as a highly proficient player) to adjust to that role, but that was a risk. This opened a door for Whelan and he has done well. But that doesn’t mean that the situation shouldn’t concern us, or make us feel that we’ve maxed out potential here.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:51am

Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

"Bile, muck dragger, begrudgers, mudslingers" LOLLOLLOL

Take a deep breath Mr Brick aka Mr. Whelan Snr........

Rubbish, tacky post, Mr Burns.  

This is too good LOLLOLLOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:54am
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

If Glenn isn't getting games or doesn't get a club between now and March it is hard to see him playing the play off's.

Who should replace him?
McCarthy
Molumby
Arter

I think we're all hopeful McCarthy returns.

He would have been 1st choice before the tournament starts pending fitness.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Is it ok to say that whelan is past it with Ireland but was harshly treated by hearts and has been a great servant for Ireland.  Or is that too nuanced and not extreme enough for this debate  

LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:24am
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Is it ok to say that whelan is past it with Ireland but was harshly treated by hearts and has been a great servant for Ireland.  Or is that too nuanced and not extreme enough for this debate  

LOL
LOL
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:43am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Who should replace him?
McCarthy
Molumby
Arter

harry arter
Come on Irelind
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:54am
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Who should replace him?
McCarthy
Molumby
Arter

harry arter

Absolutely not. Arter is so injury prone, in and out of the Fulham team and his commitment has been questioned in the past.

McCarthy always turned up for Ireland and gave a good reason for not accepting the call up at the tail end of last year. The chap had barely played for 3-4 years and is now benefiting from that break with a good run in the Crystal Palace team.

It simply has to be McCarthy.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:16pm
I have to say, I'd like to see a midfield of James McCarthy as he's playing 90mins for palace in the PL of late and molumby in next to him. 

You've got experience and energy in the centre midfield .

I dont see why hendrick or hourihane need to play at this point. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 12:28pm

Left Foot:

I don't believe Glenn Whelan ever gives less than 100 per cent. Sometimes that's not apparent in a rubbish team. He started well, among Hearts best in the first five matches, but then the bottom fell out, atmosphere turned toxic, manager sacked et al. Not a good environment.

Another poster says his exit treatment is par for the course in Scotland. I would agree Hearts was not one of Glenn's better decisions. Scottish football is nonsense.

I saw most of Aston Villa's games in the second half of last season. Whelan was brilliant and his form a major factor in their promotion. Fans, sceptical initially, loved him and appreciated his contribution. There are unconfirmed rumours he wasn't treated well leaving Villa either - but he hasn't spoken about it.

Ironically, he was probably our form player going into the Euros - and he played very well - yet so many loud-and-proud "Boys in Green" treat him like a verbal punchbag. It's uncool to like Glenn Whelan. Sad that, but then the important thing is they know the words of The Fields. Hypocrites. 

Was at fault for the goal in the first leg vs WBA and was then an unused sub for the second leg and the final. Brilliant form Clap

Edited by BrendanD88 - 14 Jan 2020 at 12:31pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Left Foot:

I don't believe Glenn Whelan ever gives less than 100 per cent. Sometimes that's not apparent in a rubbish team. He started well, among Hearts best in the first five matches, but then the bottom fell out, atmosphere turned toxic, manager sacked et al. Not a good environment.

Another poster says his exit treatment is par for the course in Scotland. I would agree Hearts was not one of Glenn's better decisions. Scottish football is nonsense.

I saw most of Aston Villa's games in the second half of last season. Whelan was brilliant and his form a major factor in their promotion. Fans, sceptical initially, loved him and appreciated his contribution. There are unconfirmed rumours he wasn't treated well leaving Villa either - but he hasn't spoken about it.

Ironically, he was probably our form player going into the Euros - and he played very well - yet so many loud-and-proud "Boys in Green" treat him like a verbal punchbag. It's uncool to like Glenn Whelan. Sad that, but then the important thing is they know the words of The Fields. Hypocrites. 

Was at fault for the goal in the first leg vs WBA and was then an unused sub for the second leg and the final. Brilliant form Clap
Yes but had been very impressive before that very good from Christmas to the playoffs.
Which is a far fairer reflection on his season rather than a  3 game sample 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:09pm
Mr Brick

I understand that Whelan could have been the only player for Hearts that was pulling his weight and the team could still be in the position they are now.

However, there are certain things that really dont add up with the whole Whelan paradox

1. I do hear a lot of non-villa fans (never villa fans) saying that Whelan had a great season. But Villa would have surely kept him on the team and played him in a few games in the PL if he was that good, even as a bit part player?

2. It would seem that no other championship club was interested in him on a free when he was released, you would think a bottom half team would have if he was that good? 

3. We hear that Whelan gives 100% every game and is the best player for Hearts and Ireland and yet Hearts and Ireland have been woeful. This is very hard to believe that he is brilliant and everyone else is bad... or are we saying that everyone has been terrible but Whelan was slightly less terrible? 

4. Giving 100% surely means going to training every day and putting in the effort? I agree that management agreed 2 days a week but you cant say that's 100%

5. This is more a prediction but I dont think another team will pick up Whelan now that he's been released. I hope I'm wrong but he struggled in Scotland, a championship team didn't come in for him pre season and I can't even see a L1 team taking a gamble on him either.

6. Cantana can fly kick a fan, suarez can bite opponents but because they are good players they get a pass from clubs (no other reason) if Whelan was good, teams would keep him. 

Edited by Left foot - 14 Jan 2020 at 3:11pm
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Mr Brick

I understand that Whelan could have been the only player for Hearts that was pulling his weight and the team could still be in the position they are now.

However, there are certain things that really dont add up with the whole Whelan paradox

1. I do hear a lot of non-villa fans (never villa fans) saying that Whelan had a great season. But Villa would have surely kept him on the team and played him in a few games in the PL if he was that good, even as a bit part player?

2. It would seem that no other championship club was interested in him on a free when he was released, you would think a bottom half team would have if he was that good? 

3. We hear that Whelan gives 100% every game and is the best player for Hearts and Ireland and yet Hearts and Ireland have been woeful. This is very hard to believe that he is brilliant and everyone else is bad... or are we saying that everyone has been terrible but Whelan was slightly less terrible? 

4. Giving 100% surely means going to training every day and putting in the effort? I agree that management agreed 2 days a week but you cant say that's 100%

5. This is more a prediction but I dont think another team will pick up Whelan now that he's been released. I hope I'm wrong but he struggled in Scotland, a championship team didn't come in for him pre season and I can't even see a L1 team taking a gamble on him either.

6. Cantana can fly kick a fan, suarez can bite opponents but because they are good players they get a pass from clubs (no other reason) if Whelan was good, teams would keep him. 
Villa offered to keep him as far as I’m
Aware but told him he would be a sub as opposed to a starter 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Mr Brick

Where did you hear this?
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

Mr Brick

Where did you hear this?
I support Villa and remember hearing it or reading it in the summer.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:14pm
@fruice - c'mon mate, I think you can do better than "I heard it somewhere" 

I think It would be interesting if it were true.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 7:30pm
http://https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019/0601/1052969-whelan-exits-villa-after-contract-is-not-renewed/

He wasn't offered a deal or any sort of deal.

Anyway, from an Irish perspective it's good to see that Mick McCarthy will have a number of options in various positions especially in midfield and up top with a number of players coming into form. 

Edited by Green Devil - 14 Jan 2020 at 7:31pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 140141142143144 159>
  Share Topic