You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Glenn Whelan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login


Glenn Whelan

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129
Author
Message
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Avatar
Spouter of Utter Nonsense

Joined: 16 Aug 2013
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 6477
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

I've never seen a player more scrutinised as much, this for someone who has 277 premier league appearances, has never not turned up for his country when asked, never created noise or bullSh1t for club or country and gives 100% in every game.

If everyone who wore a green shirt for the last 12 years put in the same effort, we would have won allot more games. I appreciate hes not Inesta or Perlo, but not many are.

Have a look in the mirror, Play station players, who havent played the game beyond 5 aside astro.

Please stop this bashing of a loyal and honest servant to the green jersey



Again another idiotic lazy response.

What do you base these assumptions on?


I dont believe it is a Idiotic or Lazy
whats lazy is 128 pages of comments following suit of lazy Journalist like Eammon Dunphy in singling out one player, without knowing what direction has been given to a player and their responsibilities on the pitch. All this without questioning why successive Ireland and team managers choose to continue to play Glenn over twelve years as a senior player.

On my Comment re. play station/astro players, bashing a good pro on this forum, Im sure there is not to many on here has played at a relatively high level or gone beyond kick start 2 on the coaching ladder, if that. Presuming you have GD, I apologise but again I was speaking to the masses not individuals


Has it ever occurred to you that most of the people criticising Whelan may well have formed their opinion independently of Dunphy? I generally couldn't care less about Dunphy's footballing opinions, but even a broken clock is right twice a day, and Dunphy wasn't mistaken in believing Whelan is a poor midfielder. Irrespective of that, I'd suggest to you that most people who argue Whelan isn't very good have come to that conclusion from having watched him numerous times; that's certainly my situation. Dunphy's comments on him have not swayed my opinion.
We're decent enough..
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Location: Acropolis
Status: Offline
Points: 21012
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

How positive can we be when we don’t have a midfielder who is any good though? That’s our handicap. I get your point, and there are ways around it, but no matter who else plays in midfield they hide from the ball. If Whelan gets the ball there is rarely a creative player to look for it and we don’t have one. The fact that some people see the solution as a lad playing alright in the LOI tells its story.

I have long defended Whelan on here, not because he is an amazing player, but because he gets constantly singled out when the bigger problem isn’t him. Playing without him we are often wide open. Cullen certainly looks a credible option and may improve our style and ball retention, but he can’t do on his own. Hourihane, Hendrick, Arter, Browne etc. are all incredibly limited and not very disciplined or hard working.

We're not winning games though PM, we scored 7 goals in 8 games Dead

It's no surprise we're more open in midfield when he doesn't play because we tend to take more risks, with risk comes reward. I said as much on a thread a few days, we will probably lose more games but we will also win more and score goals also.

Not suggesting you are, but it people are happy enough to see us defend for our lives and plod along playing for draws then fair enough but I'm not.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Back to Top
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Joined: 06 Oct 2010
Location: Acropolis
Status: Offline
Points: 21012
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The 'position of authority' arguement is not one that can really be used in football forum.

Mark Hughes picked Whelan for Stoke and his football credentials are much better than yours, therefore Whelan is....

You could say that pep Guardiola, Alex Ferguson and klopp have better credentials than Hughes and where not interested in Whelan , therefore whelan...

Having an opinion on a spectator sport, even as an armchair supporter is just as valid as anyone else's. You may not agree with it but that's the point of setting up a forum.

I agree with that 100%,

I find it fairly odd that just because someone has a different opinion to someone else's (especially on this thread) the ones who don't rate Whelan too highly get called armchair fans ConfusedLOL


Edited by Green Devil - 22 Nov 2019 at 1:32pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
I am MALDING

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Online
Points: 38442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

How positive can we be when we don’t have a midfielder who is any good though? That’s our handicap. I get your point, and there are ways around it, but no matter who else plays in midfield they hide from the ball. If Whelan gets the ball there is rarely a creative player to look for it and we don’t have one. The fact that some people see the solution as a lad playing alright in the LOI tells its story.

I have long defended Whelan on here, not because he is an amazing player, but because he gets constantly singled out when the bigger problem isn’t him. Playing without him we are often wide open. Cullen certainly looks a credible option and may improve our style and ball retention, but he can’t do on his own. Hourihane, Hendrick, Arter, Browne etc. are all incredibly limited and not very disciplined or hard working.

We're not winning games though PM, we scored 7 goals in 8 games Dead

It's no surprise we're more open in midfield when he doesn't play because we tend to take more risks, with risk comes reward. I said as much on a thread a few days, we will probably lose more games but we will also win more and score goals also.

Not suggesting you are, but it people are happy enough to see us defend for our lives and plod along playing for draws then fair enough but I'm not.
We’re not winning games because we are sh*t! Probably not as sh*t as our manager thinks, but still fairly awful! 
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Back to Top
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady


Joined: 29 Mar 2011
Location: Ireland
Status: Offline
Points: 1201
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The 'position of authority' arguement is not one that can really be used in football forum.

Mark Hughes picked Whelan for Stoke and his football credentials are much better than yours, therefore Whelan is....

You could say that pep Guardiola, Alex Ferguson and klopp have better credentials than Hughes and where not interested in Whelan , therefore whelan...

Having an opinion on a spectator sport, even as an armchair supporter is just as valid as anyone else's. You may not agree with it but that's the point of setting up a forum.


I agree with that 100%,

I find it fairly odd that just because someone has a different opinion to someone else's (especially on this thread) the ones who don't rate Whelan too highly get called armchair fans ConfusedLOL


Okay everyone can have an opinion, I get it, but the Whelan banging drum is getting very old and IN MY OPINION, is unfair

Given how bad Hedrix has been this campaign, how is the bile still being directed at Whelan. If Whelan is limited and a defensive Mid in a defensive team, what is Hendrix bringing to the party

Edited by Huggybeer - 22 Nov 2019 at 3:37pm
Getting old and intolerant
Back to Top
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton


Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Location: Co Down
Status: Offline
Points: 4322
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2019 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The 'position of authority' arguement is not one that can really be used in football forum.

Mark Hughes picked Whelan for Stoke and his football credentials are much better than yours, therefore Whelan is....

You could say that pep Guardiola, Alex Ferguson and klopp have better credentials than Hughes and where not interested in Whelan , therefore whelan...

Having an opinion on a spectator sport, even as an armchair supporter is just as valid as anyone else's. You may not agree with it but that's the point of setting up a forum.


I agree with that 100%,

I find it fairly odd that just because someone has a different opinion to someone else's (especially on this thread) the ones who don't rate Whelan too highly get called armchair fans ConfusedLOL


Okay everyone can have an opinion, I get it, but the Whelan banging drum is getting very old and its IN MY OPINION is unfair,

Given how bad Hedrix has been this campaign, how is the bile still being directed at Whelan. If Whelan is limited and a defensive Mid in ma defensive team, what is Hendrix bringing to the party
 
*Hendrick
*Pirlo
*Iniesta
Back to Top
Mr Brick View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb
Avatar

Joined: 29 Nov 2017
Location: Dublin/Perth
Status: Offline
Points: 38
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:15am
Well said, BrendanD88.

Edited by Mr Brick - 24 Nov 2019 at 12:16am
You can bring a horse to water but a pencil must be led.
Back to Top
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
www.revolut.com

Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Location: Milan, Italy
Status: Offline
Points: 31035
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2019 at 12:56am
Geoff Hendrix

Enda Steven's

Sean McGuire

James McLean


All top talent on show at Landsdown Road
For all your Bitcoin enquiries contact David Meyler

Crap senior is my full time stalker.
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 601
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 7:43pm
Hope his form with Hearts improves before March. 11pts from 14 games is an abysmal return for them.

The Edinburgh news after the rangers game suggested that he failed to get any control of the midfield in the game 



Back to Top
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton


Joined: 29 Mar 2013
Location: Co Down
Status: Offline
Points: 4322
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 8:41pm
He was terrible today! 
Back to Top
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan


Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 87
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hope his form with Hearts improves before March. 11pts from 14 games is an abysmal return for them.

The Edinburgh news after the rangers game suggested that he failed to get any control of the midfield in the game 




And  yet he’s been great for us in this campaign and in some ways shut up a few ..mind you it wasn’t hard in our woeful midfield . 
I thought he had been playing well for them in general from what I’ve heard and read though ...
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 601
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hope his form with Hearts improves before March. 11pts from 14 games is an abysmal return for them.

The Edinburgh news after the rangers game suggested that he failed to get any control of the midfield in the game 




And  yet he’s been great for us in this campaign and in some ways shut up a few ..mind you it wasn’t hard in our woeful midfield . 
I thought he had been playing well for them in general from what I’ve heard and read though ...

14 games with only 2 wins, Hearts have only scored more goals than 2 other teams and conceded fewer than 4 other teams I believe. 

Whelan has been in the midfield for pretty much all of that. Makes it hard to see where he is doing well exactly but then the whole team needs to look at itself.

Hopefully he's saving himself for the ireland games but he's not pulling up trees at hearts.




Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
I am MALDING

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Online
Points: 38442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2019 at 10:45pm
Playing sh*te in a team that can’t score is the ideal preparation for our game in March.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Back to Top
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan


Joined: 08 Jun 2019
Status: Offline
Points: 87
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 10:43am
Aah we will score- sure haven’t we a patent pending on 1-1 with fifa
Back to Top
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Avatar
I am MALDING

Joined: 30 Nov 2014
Location: Trumpton
Status: Online
Points: 38442
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 6:48pm
If the FAI had been consistently backing 1-1 draws for the past thirty years they would be the richest association in the game.
Greed has won, big finance has won. Whatever small role elite clubs still play in the local communities from which they grew is dwarfed now by their position as global brands.
Back to Top
Left foot View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la


Joined: 16 Aug 2019
Location: London
Status: Offline
Points: 601
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2019 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If the FAI had been consistently backing 1-1 draws for the past thirty years they would be the richest association in the game.

You could probably go a little further,

If opposition score first, Ireland will equalise between the 82nd and 92nd minute from a set piece.

If ireland score first, we will then get dizzy and the opposition will score inside 10 mins of us scoring .

Additionally- the opposition will hit the cross bar/goal post at some point in the game.
Back to Top
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Avatar

Joined: 12 Mar 2016
Location: Co. Dublin
Status: Offline
Points: 815
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2019 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If the FAI had been consistently backing 1-1 draws for the past thirty years they would be the richest association in the game.

You could probably go a little further,

If opposition score first, Ireland will equalise between the 82nd and 92nd minute from a set piece.

If ireland score first, we will then get dizzy and the opposition will score inside 10 mins of us scoring .

Additionally- the opposition will hit the cross bar/goal post at some point in the game.


LOL
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss!"
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 127128129
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.00
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd.