Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 159>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by greenmachine68 greenmachine68 wrote:

Prepare yourself for a roasting from the DOC pipkin
I am very particular about who i roast as the quare wan will testify, i have seen pipsqueak and he is like a young mr bean and in all fairness people take him as serious as mr bean, and most of the time he is 3 SHEETS to the wind so can never be taken serious about his take on players
Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Serious flak on twitter from Villa fans.

A few games back on the Villa forum they were sayings things like this about him

"Easily our motm today I thought. Tackled, passed and covered well for out of position defenders."

"I already look stupid for moaning when he was linked, he was excellent today"

"we have been missing a player like this for years."

"We have been too soft in midfield for far too long. Whelan will not fade away under pressure and instead help our more creative players finally emerge from their shells.  Not sure he would work alongside Jedinak but equally I wouldn't expect us to lose any physical game with them both on the pitch and Samba at the back!"

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 1:49pm
I almost think that Villa are suffering from the problem of being almost "too dependable" or too "workmanlike". I don't see a great degree of ingenuity in the squad, even though there are plenty of dependable players in the team. A backline of De Laet, Terry, Chester and Taylor should not be leaking goals, while a midfield with Whelan anchoring should not be overrun. Equally, the likes of Lansbury, Hourihane, and Scott Hogan are a number of "been there, done that" players in the Championship. On paper that looks tough and robust, but that could equally be insufficient to tackle the current Championship which is becoming a savagely difficult league, and is seeing the influence of large expenditure in transfer fees.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I almost think that Villa are suffering from the problem of being almost "too dependable" or too "workmanlike". I don't see a great degree of ingenuity in the squad, even though there are plenty of dependable players in the team. A backline of De Laet, Terry, Chester and Taylor should not be leaking goals, while a midfield with Whelan anchoring should not be overrun. Equally, the likes of Lansbury, Hourihane, and Scott Hogan are a number of "been there, done that" players in the Championship. On paper that looks tough and robust, but that could equally be insufficient to tackle the current Championship which is becoming a savagely difficult league, and is seeing the influence of large expenditure in transfer fees.

I agree , to a point. Villa have a very decent squad, but there are flaws that seem to be emerging. In signing EBJT, they dismantled the strongest area of their team for a star player who spends half his week training with Chelsea.
Lacuna played their first game of the season and was woefully bad, although I don't think he has played since. Then Hourihane and Hogan, haven't really "been there, done that", over a long period. Both have the ability to come good, but both aren't at the moment, which leaves them open to questions. 
I also think the Championship, like what happened in the first tier of English football, is diminishing slightly in quality because of the money being bandied about. A lot of very average players are coming for the pay-day alone.

As for Whelan, I thought he was their best player against Hull on the opening day, if not at his best either. It does appear that Bruce has got the balance wrong in the team and, for all the criticism that may fly about for any of the individual players, including the Irish lads, the buck seems to rest quite rightly with him.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I agree , to a point. Villa have a very decent squad, but there are flaws that seem to be emerging. In signing EBJT, they dismantled the strongest area of their team for a star player who spends half his week training with Chelsea.
Lacuna played their first game of the season and was woefully bad, although I don't think he has played since. Then Hourihane and Hogan, haven't really "been there, done that", over a long period. Both have the ability to come good, but both aren't at the moment, which leaves them open to questions. 
I also think the Championship, like what happened in the first tier of English football, is diminishing slightly in quality because of the money being bandied about. A lot of very average players are coming for the pay-day alone.

As for Whelan, I thought he was their best player against Hull on the opening day, if not at his best either. It does appear that Bruce has got the balance wrong in the team and, for all the criticism that may fly about for any of the individual players, including the Irish lads, the buck seems to rest quite rightly with him.

I think you're onto something alright. Bruce's system is questionable. Historically we have seen on paper the right team, which is just not suitable for the task at hand. One of the most famous incidents being Gerrard and Lampard playing together, which looked like the right decision, only for the fact that they didn't compliment each other in the way England fans would have hoped. I think it would be easy to blame Whelan, and for the same reasons that a certain section of Irish fans criticise him. But that would be foolish, especially going forward for Villa. I can't imagine any iteration of the Villa team without Whelan in there.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:17pm
Bruce just isn't capable of spending large amounts of money wisely, this was already proven at Sunderland but he decided to tell the media it was because of where he's from.

He's been found out before and he's being found out again, give him £2 million and he'll bring in some unknown's on the cheap who will be future Premier League players, give him anything over £20 million and watch the team selfdestruct
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Serious flak on twitter from Villa fans.

A few games back on the Villa forum they were sayings things like this about him

<span style="color: rgb53, 60, 65; font-family: Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">"Easily our motm today I thought. Tackled, passed and covered well for out of position defenders."</span>
<span style="color: rgb53, 60, 65; font-family: Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb53, 60, 65; font-family: Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">"I already look stupid for moaning when he was linked, he was excellent today"</span>
<span style="color: rgb53, 60, 65; font-family: Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb53, 60, 65; font-family: Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">"we have been missing a player like this for years."</span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb53, 60, 65; font-family: Roboto, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">"We have been too soft in midfield for far too long. Whelan will not fade away under pressure and instead help our more creative players finally emerge from their shells.  Not sure he would work alongside Jedinak but equally I wouldn't expect us to lose any physical game with them both on the pitch and Samba at the back!"</span>

When was the last time we won a game against decent opposition when Whelan started? Villa fans are in for a torturous campaign.
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 3:19pm
Uruguay..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:15pm
Yep, and he got an assist for the first goal. 

Also, he played very well in that defensive role against Austria at home.  They didn't get many chances, and he was key in intercepting or simply blocking out dangerous passes at critical times. That unseen or unfashionable work that people talk about, but critical to getting possession back and allowing more creatively gifted players try get us a goal.  

I've been a big critic over the years, but have been impressed with his stablising effect on our team.  

Also, I think we have a lot more creativity and lads comfortable on the ball than we have had for a while, so I think we can absorb one guy who is less adventurous with his passing.   Having said that, having him in the team with another defensive minded player like say Meyler (as we did with Wales) is possession suicide and should never be repeated!
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:42am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

He was poor in that game I thought and was lucky his error in the first half didn't lead to a Hull goal.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 5:11am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

UK football fans finally seeing what Irish fans have had to endure for years.

Great servant but way over the hill.

You never, ever thought he was a great servant.

I agree that his time at the top is coming to a close both at club and country, but after 81 caps for us, what the fcuk have you had to endure?
Some of yis here haven't a clue. I mean really haven't a clue.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 5:36am
If people stop the easy sh1te talk and actually look at his contribution in games, such as our most recent game against Austria, you will see the key role he plays.  

A goal saved by breaking down a move early on is as good as a goal scored.  

He broke down so many attacks in that game and helped limit Austria to very few chances and an improbable goal.  

If you're in to football for the nut-meg and the flicks, pick a team of Paddy McCourts - and lose 10 - 2.  

If you want results, you need someone like Glenn in the team.  There's a reason he's the most-capped centre midfielder for Ireland. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 5:55am
we've qualified for two European championships with Glenn in the side so he must be doing something right.

Hopefully he can add a World Cup to his list of appearances in the coming weeks.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 7:26am
Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

UK football fans finally seeing what Irish fans have had to endure for years.

Great servant but way over the hill.

You never, ever thought he was a great servant.

I agree that his time at the top is coming to a close both at club and country, but after 81 caps for us, what the fcuk have you had to endure?
Some of yis here haven't a clue. I mean really haven't a clue.

Exactly 81 caps says it all a great dedication to Ireland always wore the green with pride.
Clap

Edited by Double Maxim - 31 Aug 2017 at 7:29am
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:53am
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Dedicated Yes...talented No.

Talented is a relative term and depends on the traits someone values in a player.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 8:55am

I'm guessing you know f**k all about football if you say Whelan is not talented.

Most of the work Glen does goes unnoticed mostly by people who only follow the ball.

Did you know he has the most interceptions in the group ? The 3rd best tackling % (behind Alaba and Allen).

People complain about him passing backwards or sideways, well next time he makes a pass look at the shape of the opposition in front of him. How they have to react, how he reacts.

Whelan is one the players who influences our games a lot more then people give him credit for, so to say he has no talent is just clear wrong
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:17am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I'm guessing you know f**k all about football if you say Whelan is not talented.

Most of the work Glen does goes unnoticed mostly by people who only follow the ball.

Did you know he has the most interceptions in the group ? The 3rd best tackling % (behind Alaba and Allen).

People complain about him passing backwards or sideways, well next time he makes a pass look at the shape of the opposition in front of him. How they have to react, how he reacts.

Whelan is one the players who influences our games a lot more then people give him credit for, so to say he has no talent is just clear wrong

Where can you view stats like the ones you've mentioned above, would like to see how our other players get on, cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 159>
  Share Topic