Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 159>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:52pm
I think he will be first choice at Villa, himself and Jedinak shielding the back 4 will give them a very solid and experience core with EBJT there too. I can't see all 3 playing 46 league games though
I think it could be more harmful for Hourihane as it looks like they will be going for three in the middle and one attacking more often than not, leaving it a straight battle between Conor and Lansbury.
Sponsored Links

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

he is neither sh*t, nor a brilliant player, somewhere in between the truth lies. 

has always done his best for us, and he has done what has been asked of him. 

people with a very primitive understanding of football love headless chicken midfielders that lunge and chase at any given opportunity. zero appreciation of positional play, hence why o'shea has alot of over zealous critics also, and st ledger who was a donkey got a lot of acclaim too. 98% of a players game is when is off the ball. you hear it at every game, clowns shouting 'go to him, go to him', when clearly the player is correct in holding his position. The same idiots will give whelan dogs abuse. 

Go and a have a look at that game in glasgow, with a central pairing of gibson and hendrick and only then will you grasp what whelan brings, steven naismith looked like iniesta that night, two headless chickens chasing shadows, leaving huge gaps in behind them. also go and look how whelan completely nulfiied pjanic in the playoff games v bosnia. look at how 5 mins after he went off v germany away, kroos managed to get score from outside the box in an area than whelan always occupies. 

100% right

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 21 Jul 2017 at 5:55pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by Trigboy 10 Trigboy 10 wrote:

Originally posted by Citizen Citizen wrote:

he is neither sh*t, nor a brilliant player, somewhere in between the truth lies. 

has always done his best for us, and he has done what has been asked of him. 

people with a very primitive understanding of football love headless chicken midfielders that lunge and chase at any given opportunity. zero appreciation of positional play, hence why o'shea has alot of over zealous critics also, and st ledger who was a donkey got a lot of acclaim too. 98% of a players game is when is off the ball. you hear it at every game, clowns shouting 'go to him, go to him', when clearly the player is correct in holding his position. The same idiots will give whelan dogs abuse. 

Go and a have a look at that game in glasgow, with a central pairing of gibson and hendrick and only then will you grasp what whelan brings, steven naismith looked like iniesta that night, two headless chickens chasing shadows, leaving huge gaps in behind them. also go and look how whelan completely nulfiied pjanic in the playoff games v bosnia. look at how 5 mins after he went off v germany away, kroos managed to get score from outside the box in an area than whelan always occupies. 

100% right

Two pages back you said he was a brilliant player, make up your mind.
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:39pm
For anyone that was at our previous 2 competitive home games, you could see he was by far our best performer.

He's the kind of player that will be sorely missed when's he not there.

Great move for him, hopefully he gets straight back into the PL!

"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

Originally posted by greenmachine68 greenmachine68 wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

nothing pre-determined about watching a fella with 70 odd caps steal an international career. That's just my opinion, based on the type of midfielder I like to watch and would prefer to see in an Ireland shirt.
Who exactly would you have had ahead of him? 
anybody who has the balls to show for the ball and pass it forward.,All this talk about this stellar premiership career he had, playing for stoke in the midfield under pulis, he would have been bypassed most of the time. While some recent Ireland managers like to go direct, I think defenders are left with no option with people like whelan in the team.
That's all well and good but can you name the alternatives over the past 10 years?
If your happy watching glen whelan for Ireland, I respect your opinion. With regard to alternatives, does it matter now. Liam Brady was an alternative for Ireland under charlton did he play? No. Managers opinion. I'll not be sorry to see him finish with Ireland. I might watch his career highlights video though. It should only take 5mins.

You're not even making sense you f**king idiot.
Obviously you don't go to any Ireland games and you watch too much on TV and you're one of these clowns that listen to dunphy.
Will end up being a great signing for villa, he'll do very well in the championship.

LOL Guaranteed quotes every time the Glenn Whelan debate pops up.

Ye. The holier than thou fans.

I said it before the last 2 games and I'll say it again, if we play Whelan in this campaign we wont beat the top 3 seeds and wont qualify. I thought MON may see sense after Uruguay 2nd half but no. Hopefully the Austria match gives him the kick up the arse he needs to encourage him to switch the midfield up for the next 2 games
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 12:18am
I make that eight Republic of Ireland born players now in premiership first team squads...... surely the lowest ever? Half of them in their thirties now also (sorry not including Richie Towell)
If Burnley get relegated which is entirely possible then it is conceivable we could end up with only Seamus Coleman and maybe Shane Long in a year's time
I'm not sure if the FAI actually has such a thing as a player development strategy but it doesn't seem to be working too well if so.

Edited by Conan - 24 Jul 2017 at 12:31am
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 12:35am
Elliot, Clark, McCarthy, Coleman, Rice, Wilson, Arter, Hendrick, Ward, Brady, Walters, Kevin Long, Shane Long, McClean, Duffy, Scannell. That's 15 and I'm perhaps overlooking a few. The EPL is getting stronger, as is the Championship where many of our players now ply their trade; we're no stronger or weaker that we've ever been over the last 7/8 years.
We're decent enough..
killer kilbane View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killer kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 12:43am
josh Cullen
And it's come through now to mackay... and it's there
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 1:40am
I didn't say qualified for the Republic of Ireland I said born here (this being the Republic of Ireland forum section). Yes we are always going to be able to skim off a few grannyrulers and I'm fine with recruiting players from the North who want to represent us but that's nothing to do with the issue of the FAI failing to do anything to develop players within the ROI itself, that being their jurisdiction and remit, resulting in such a scanty number of players from here being good enough for the premiership now (which would be fine if our best players didn't always go to play in Britain but the fact is they always will).
The EPL isn't getting stronger, you can judge by the performances of english clubs in the champions league they are in relative decline compared to other leading leagues.

Edited by Conan - 24 Jul 2017 at 1:43am
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 10:17am
Bit of an irrelevant argument, the strength of our national team is the strength of our national team regardless of whether the players are born in the 26 counties or not. Either way, it's quite nonsensical to exclude the like of Duffy, Wilson, or even McCarthy as "homegrown players" seeing as they've been involved in the Ireland setup since their teens. And the EPL is obviously getting stronger in an overall sense purely because of purchasing power; middle-to-lower end EPL teams are now signing players from top French/Dutch/Portuguese/Belgian teams which closes the gap in quality between sides in a way we haven't seen before, there are no longer 4 powerhouses with 16 other sides composed of dross.

Edited by The O'Shea - 24 Jul 2017 at 10:35am
We're decent enough..
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Bit of an irrelevant argument, the strength of our national team is the strength of our national team regardless of whether the players are born in the 26 counties or not. Either way, it's quite nonsensical to exclude the like of Duffy, Wilson, or even McCarthy as "homegrown players" seeing as they've been involved in the Ireland setup since their teens. And the EPL is obviously getting stronger in an overall sense purely because of purchasing power; middle-to-lower end EPL teams are now signing players from top French/Dutch/Portuguese/Belgian teams which closes the gap in quality between sides in a way we haven't seen before, there are no longer 4 powerhouses with 16 other sides composed of dross.

hmm, its a very sad indictment on our grassroots development of players though. we have been left well behind. Should be using domestic football as the core place to develop players. yet it is neglected and ignored by our football association. long, coleman, horgan, murphy, mcclean, hoolahan, ward etc all came via this avenue. They see the domestic league as the problem child, and see the national team as the golden child, the penny has not dropped with them yet that the former is very much linked to the latter, and the way english football is being globalised (even in the lower leagues), it will be even more crucial going forward. 

My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 1:51pm
Are we going to end up like the Nordies in 5 years or so with a squad made up mainly of championship and some division 1 players with just a handful of Premier league players?

Getting back on topic, I think this is the beginning of the end of Glenn as a first team player for Ireland. I know he's been written off that way a few times before, most recently after EURO 2016 and has proved harder to dislodge than thought.

Not a massive fan of him as a player but he's been one of our most committed players over the last decade. Lots of respect for him.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2017 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

We shouldn't be in a position where we are dependent on other associations to develop our players for us (and I'm talking about when they are learning the game from a young age not once they are in their late teens and beginning their professional career) 
The quality and depth of our player pool shouldn't depend on the vagaries of migration patterns to the UK in the early to mid 20th century, whether sufficient english academy players in a suitable variety of positions positions happen to have an Irish granny or two, be overlooked by England and be inclined to throw in their lot with us. Likewise whether talented enough kids with a certain political and religious disposition are developing in Northern Ireland.
We should be in charge of our own destiny and the FAI priority should be developing talent within their jurisdiction where they have some control over the matter,exactly as most other countries in the world do. We can then top us this core foundation with  players we are able to recruit from the various constituent parts of the United Kingdom but the foundation should be there in the first place.
 Sorry if you are unable to see the relevance of  us producing good footballers to us as a footballing nation.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 7:52am
Some start to the season for Glenn.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:33am
Serious flak on twitter from Villa fans.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 9:36am
UK football fans finally seeing what Irish fans have had to endure for years.

Great servant but way over the hill.
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:21am
Whelan should be more than capable of holding his own in the championship. The team has been poor and this coming on from a poor last season.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
greenmachine68 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmachine68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2017 at 10:51am
Prepare yourself for a roasting from the DOC pipkin

Edited by greenmachine68 - 16 Aug 2017 at 10:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8990919293 159>
  Share Topic