Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 159>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

http://www.punditarena.com/football/nmenezes/pros-cons-continued-selection-glenn-whelan/
"One of Whelan’s best games for Ireland was against Georgia in Dublin two years ago. The Stoke man was placed on the base of the diamond and linked up well with midfield partners Jeff Hendrick, James McCarthy and Wes Hoolahan, thriving in a narrower central role where his primary role was to protect the back four while McCarthy and Hendrick broke up the play."

Against fcuking Georgia ....at HOME !!!!

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Sponsored Links

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Pipkin Pipkin wrote:

From reading the last couple of pages it does come across that those in favour of playing Whekan would rather he be picked and we dont win than see us competing for qualification.

Well done sir - you've cracked it. There's a small coterie of us who have been campaigning vigorously for some time now to have 'YBIG' renamed to 'GW6'. We've little or no interest in the national side - just an unhealthy obsession with seeing Glenn Whelan reach 200 caps. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:02am

From reading the last couple of pages it does come across that those in favour of playing Whekan would rather he be picked and we dont win than see us competing for qualification.

The 'role' of a defensive midfielder he may know but it doesnt translate on to the pitch. As far as I remember he was on the pitch when we conceded 3 against Belgium, 2 against Poland and Serbia so this defensive shield he is made out to be doesnt translate into formidable defensive displays exactly..

That first paragraph is complete and utter bullsh*t lad!!!!!!!!!!!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 12:57pm
This Pipkin fella Wacko
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:39pm

The 'role' of a defensive midfielder he may know but it doesnt translate on to the pitch. As far as I remember he was on the pitch when we conceded 3 against Belgium, 2 against Poland and Serbia so this defensive shield he is made out to be doesnt translate into formidable defensive displays exactly..

ClapClapClap
Well done, the most idiotic post in the history of YBIG.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Whelan steps out of the side and the finger of blame will be pointed at somebody else....

Is the correct answer. Hendrick is proving an outstanding candidate for the scapegoat role. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:27am
Pipsqueak having a howler here LOL ffs
adineen98 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adineen98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:35pm
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:03am
Just watched a replay of the Austria game. I wouldn't be a Whelan fan ordinarily, but the amount of interceptions he made was unreal.  Well ahead of his midfield partners, Hendrick and Arter. And always kept possession.  

I didn't ever think I'd hear myself saying this: has to be a starter in September. 
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 11:23am
Stoke turned down Aston Villa's Offer for Whelan.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by adineen98 adineen98 wrote:

http://www.the42.ie/glenn-whelan-one-of-stokes-best-ever-signings-3454310-Jun2017/

Stoke City's CEO thinks very highly of Whelan

Yes, but only in the context of the value he's brought, not enough to keep him. If £1m comes on the table, he will look for Stoke to take it.

Should no deal prevail, Glenn is contracted with Stoke up until the end of next season. Whilst acknowledging that his time is coming to an end, many stokies will be sorry to see him go, especially if injuries or loss of form affect any of the projected CM's for next season. Imo, his value as back up and leadership, would be greater than the transfer fee.

Edited by Stoked Up - 21 Jun 2017 at 6:05pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 8:58pm
Glenn going to Derby co.?
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 1:35pm
Reports of Burnley interested in signing him as a cheap replacement for Barton.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by valo88 valo88 wrote:

Reports of Burnley interested in signing him as a cheap replacement for Barton.

I never knew Glenn was a ****.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 5:46pm
It cant be good having all our players going to one club.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Why can't it be?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

Why can't it be?
 Remember the great Hungary team of the 50s ?
I think they had 8 players from one club .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2017 at 8:32pm
Well they all prob wont get into the same 11. If results go badly theres a lot of irish there to point the finger at. It would be the same with any other nationality also i suspect with numerous players from the one country. Also when these lads used ti meet up with the irish setup it would be nice to see old faces and catch up in the build up to a big game. These guys will be sick of the sight of each other working together every day and then linking up with ireland aswell.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8586878889 159>
  Share Topic