Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 159>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 10:58am
Brady is living off his goal against Italy
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:07am
Brady and Hendrick both sulk on the pitch and that is an awful thing to see, their body language at times the other day was embarrassing. I would drop both for Georgia, we cannot be carrying players with that attitude out there.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:21am

No player should be undroppable.

Back in the day the mantra was "you're only as good as your last game".

Now they sulk and phone their agent.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

The only undroppable player we have at the minute is McClean, based on his performances.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

The only undroppable player we have at the minute is McClean, based on his performances.
He was poor enough on Sunday too!
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:30am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Brady and Hendrick both sulk on the pitch and that is an awful thing to see, their body language at times the other day was embarrassing. I would drop both for Georgia, we cannot be carrying players with that attitude out there.
You might have a point there PM, and i do also think that we have enough cover in their positions within the squad to deal with georgia. It would send out a big message to the other regular starters in the squad tbh.

djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 11:59am
would actually drop mcclean, thought he was poor on sunday, looked like a league of ireland player at times, deff a better impact sub, although he has been great recently. I like hendrick but has be very poor recently. Would put brady left midfield, he would only be effective on the right if christie is allowed to overlap like the uruguy game, this didnt happen on sunday.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:29pm
Sundays game was the last in a long season which camd off the back of a major tournament as well and "body language" of the players can be mistaken in a game like that. I would say , bar 5 or so players it looked like a lot of them weren't trying and their "body language" was wrong . It's just a bloody cliche picked up off the telly .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Sundays game was the last in a long season which camd off the back of a major tournament as well and "body language" of the players can be mistaken in a game like that. I would say , bar 5 or so players it looked like a lot of them weren't trying and their "body language" was wrong . It's just a bloody cliche picked up off the telly .
What? Try that again in English!
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

Would agree with a lot of what has been said here. A lot of people who criticise Whelan don't just not understand his role - they don't understand the game..

It goes a lot further than 'the Sky Sports generation' - your talking about a group of people who never played the game, never attend games in person, only tend to watch football played at the very highest level on TV and base their understanding of the game on Pro Evolution and FIFA 17..

Bullsh*t.

Same as the hype over Makelele and the 'Makelele role'.

Roy Keane as a defensive midfield anchor could play the Makelele role with his eyes closed and could still play football. Likewise Viera, Seedorf etc. Makelele couldn't. Whelan cant.

Have to pick you up on this. People talk sh*te about the Ireland team that have a limited knowledge of football. That's a fact, it's not bullsh*t..

Glen Whelan has his limitations - that is not in doubt but what is ridiculous is for people to challenge why he was picked on Sunday and to then claim he had a poor game.

Not many said he had a poor game.
He was one of our better performers but most played poorly against very poor opposition who sh*t themselves when we went at them.

I agree he was one of our better performers and the fact some people criticised his performance on Sunday makes you question what game they were watching. I was at the game so didn't see it on TV so can only assume his performance may not have come across as well on the TV and / or Dunphy criticised his selection and performance and his critics are just making lazy assumptions.

Anyone with a knowledge of football could see the manager would want to protect a back four that consisted of a right back and a centre back who are inexperienced at international level and another centre back just recently returned from injury.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Hoolahan start instead of Hendrick but all in all wouldn't have complained about the team selection

Agree that the back 4 need to be protected, but why Glenn Whelan?
There are others who can do the job, and not slow everything down in the manner Whelan does. We've got on very well in big games against top opposition with the back 4 being protected by a player other than Whelan.

When I saw he was starting I just thought "how negative". It didnt auger well.
He's slow and cumbersome, what Chris Waddle would call a "plodder".

He did his job well, no arguments, but that does not mean the team as a unit could not perform better with different personnell and formation.

Indeed, we have a large body of evidence to suggest it performs better without him.

Now you can defend him if you want, but engaging in snobbery and accusing those who dont agree with you of being clueless and not knowing the game, well that's just cheap and doesnt help your argument.

Edited by rolo - 14 Jun 2017 at 12:40pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Would agree with a lot of what has been said here. A lot of people who criticise Whelan don't just not understand his role - they don't understand the game..

It goes a lot further than 'the Sky Sports generation' - your talking about a group of people who never played the game, never attend games in person, only tend to watch football played at the very highest level on TV and base their understanding of the game on Pro Evolution and FIFA 17..

Bullsh*t.

Same as the hype over Makelele and the 'Makelele role'.

Roy Keane as a defensive midfield anchor could play the Makelele role with his eyes closed and could still play football. Likewise Viera, Seedorf etc. Makelele couldn't. Whelan cant.

Have to pick you up on this. People talk sh*te about the Ireland team that have a limited knowledge of football. That's a fact, it's not bullsh*t..

Glen Whelan has his limitations - that is not in doubt but what is ridiculous is for people to challenge why he was picked on Sunday and to then claim he had a poor game.

Not many said he had a poor game.
He was one of our better performers but most played poorly against very poor opposition who sh*t themselves when we went at them.

I agree he was one of our better performers and the fact some people criticised his performance on Sunday makes you question what game they were watching. I was at the game so didn't see it on TV so can only assume his performance may not have come across as well on the TV and / or Dunphy criticised his selection and performance and his critics are just making lazy assumptions.

Anyone with a knowledge of football could see the manager would want to protect a back four that consisted of a right back and a centre back who are inexperienced at international level and another centre back just recently returned from injury.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Hoolahan start instead of Hendrick but all in all wouldn't have complained about the team selection

There are others who can do the job, and not slow everything down in the manner Whelan does. We've got on very well in big games against top opposition with the back 4 being protected by a player other than Whelan.

He did his job well, no arguments, but that does not mean the team as a unit could not perform better with different personnell and formation.

Indeed, we have a large body of evidence to suggest it performs better without him.

Now you can defend him if you want, but engaging in snobbery and accusing those who dont agree with you of being clueless and not knowing the game, well that's just cheap and doesnt help your argument.
Which is fine and I can accept your point on Whelan, I think he is the best we have in the defensive midfield role but I can see your argument and certainly think there are games that suit him and ames that don't.
The reason people are being called clueless isn't because they disagree, it is because they seem incapable of understanding the role of a defensive midfielder. You have people giving out about us playing long-ball and at the same time  complaining about Whelan playing backwards and sideways, I would consider that to be idiotic. There are other people asking what he does when it is quite evident what he does, arguing that other players can do it better or we might not need it is fine, as you have done yourself. We can disagree and put forward opposing arguments, but when people are clearly just going along with an agenda because it is popular it needs to be pulled up on.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Brady is living off his goal against Italy

His set pieces were disgraceful for someone of his standards from dead balls at the weekend . He shouldn't be playing on the right but what do we do drop a very reliable and steady premier league player in Ward ? its being said in the past Robbie is too good to play left full or do we drop McClean our best player by a mile this campaign?. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 1:26pm

What's frustrating as an Ireland fan is when we play two central midfielders in a holding role, especially against limited opposition.. The hope has been that McCarthy will replace Whelan as he's obviously more talented and that this would free up another central midfielder to be more creative..

What's probably a bit surprising is that Arter seems to gel better with Whelan than McCarthy..

LOL LOL LOL
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 2:58pm
[/QUOTE]

Now you can defend him if you want, but engaging in snobbery and accusing those who dont agree with you of being clueless and not knowing the game, well that's just cheap and doesnt help your argument.[/QUOTE]
We have performed better with him too against top opposition (Germany away) and we've performed very poorly without him (Scotland away) so there's plenty of evidence either way for his inclusion or exclusion. What I'm taking issue with is - criticism for the sake of criticism.

I don't think we had many other options available on Sunday to protect the back 4 and I'd give the manager credit for picking him. It's also fair to say that the manager has experimented a lot in the last few games and 4-5-1 was the best option on Sunday. 3-5-2 didn't work at all against Mexico and 4-4-2 wasn't an option without Long (unless of course you'd start Murphy and drop a midfielder)..

I heard people criticise his performance after the game on Sunday and have seen criticism here too which I think on any analysis it's unfair and lazy. O'Neill seems to get the same type of criticism - he has been criticised for picking the same 11 and if he makes changes I've seen him criticised for not knowing his favourite 11.

Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 3:48pm
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2017 at 7:43pm
Here's the same aul mantra I've been spouting for nearly ten years.

Some posters can't seem to work out the defensive values that he brings. Even at Stoke, where umpteen replacements​ have been bought, Glenn has kept his place.
Whatever about his club situation this coming season, until somebody better/less injury prone comes along he still merits his place with Ireland.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 9:03am
From reading the last couple of pages it does come across that those in favour of playing Whekan would rather he be picked and we dont win than see us competing for qualification.

The 'role' of a defensive midfielder he may know but it doesnt translate on to the pitch. As far as I remember he was on the pitch when we conceded 3 against Belgium, 2 against Poland and Serbia so this defensive shield he is made out to be doesnt translate into formidable defensive displays exactly..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 10:04am
Whelan steps out of the side and the finger of blame will be pointed at somebody else....
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8485868788 159>
  Share Topic