You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 159>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 2:38pm
I'd say from 2002 (our last World Cup) the team has been in a slow decline,

After 2012 euros (which was a disaster as a tournament for us) the decline  hit a low but leveled slightly.

Qualification for the euros in 2016 saw slight improvement with senior players like Coleman, Hoolahan, Walters etc using their experience to qualify. (Whelan was dropped during the tournament i seem to remember and was then told he'd been retired)

Then after 2016 (after the euros) we have been in free fall. Whelan being a key player in that team.

The decline with Scotland admittedly was much worse but they seem to be improving some what of late and have some really good players available.
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

After 2012 euros (which was a disaster as a tournament for us) the decline  hit a low but leveled slightly.

Qualification for the euros in 2016 saw slight improvement with senior players like Coleman, Hoolahan, Walters etc using their experience to qualify. (Whelan was dropped during the tournament i seem to remember and was then told he'd been retired)

Then after 2016 (after the euros) we have been in free fall. Whelan being a key player in that team.

The decline with Scotland admittedly was much worse but they seem to be improving some what of late and have some really good players available.
How could he have been a key player in a team he'd been retired from?
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:16pm
The last 10 years have often been horrible to watch, but if qualifying for 2 euros and making 2 other major competition playoffs is our decline phase, I can wait to see our peak. Ideally we'd all like to see us play a better style of football and continue to have reasonable success which is what SK is tasked with doing, and understandably enough he doesn't see Whelan fitting into that plan at this late stage of his career.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:24pm
no its sad to say but Glenn cannot feature in our upcoming plans. his day has ended unfortunately for himself. I do love his passion for playing for Ireland even at this stage though. A true warrior to the cause Clap 
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:38pm

Since euro 2016 we have been in free fall? Really?
We came within one game of qualifying for Russia in 2018. The loss of Coleman through injury and Walters missed almost all the 2nd half of that campaign our two best players at the time. We could have easily qualified for the last euros also with Whelan being our most consistent player for the campaign under Mick. Very good servant for us but shouldn’t be selected any more
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

As I see it Martin O'Neil effectively retired Whelan a there was some tokenistic game where he was subbed off after 25 odd minutes.

However Mccarthy recalled Whelan when he became manager and he was un-retired...  
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:54pm
He was one of our better performers last campaign.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:59pm
We have been consistently very poor since the Denmark playoff in 2017. A few plucky draws here and there but nothing else of note.

No wins in 10 Nations League games
Only beat Gibraltar and Georgia in the last qualifying campaign and failed to qualify from the group
Knocked out in the first game of the Euros playoffs

There isn't a straight line of decline from 2002 until now - there have been a few peaks in-between obviously. But the overall trajectory has been downwards, especially in the last three years.

I don't expect 2021 to be any better to be honest, but there are signs of progress with better young players that should improve us from the Euro 2024 qualifiers onwards. The problem is that they're coming into the weakest Irish team since the mid 80s so we really need to build a new team rather than slot in a couple of younger players here and there. We are pretty much at our lowest ebb in almost 40 years though so there has clearly been a huge decline over time.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 4:09pm
By decline im also referring to key players in the team post 2016 that where fast approaching or beyond their 30s and winding down their careers 
Robbie Keane, shay Given, John oshea, Jonathan Walters, hoolahan, dunne etc 

These players were not being replaced with players of similar quality.

Such was the lack of players coming through for many years that we needed to play a 35 year old Whelan. (Who was dropped during 2016 tournament but was the best available post the euros) 

Thats a decline... no? 

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 4:12pm
I think Denmark was the watershed.

I think that up to and including the win against Wales, were operated at a different level, and a competitive one at that. I think ti could have been better at times, and there might have been players who didn't decline as rapidly and prematurely as they did, or players who might have achieved more, or may have bloomed a little earlier (not their fault). But we were 60 minutes from attending the 2018 World Cup when the ceiling caved in on us.

Since then, there has been a noticeable decline. The performances have been tough to watch, but the results have been poor with three competitive wins (two against Gibraltar, on against Georgia) some plucky draws, but when you take the Euro 2020 campaign as a whole, it was a huge disappointment, and this backed up 2018 when I feel interest in the national team declined greatly, due to the performances which were motivated not to have the sky cave in on us again.

Apart from losing Rice, which has been a major loss, we have also not been able to replace important players like Jon Walters and Robbie Keane, and Wes. McGeady and Long, if they were still firing would make a difference. Also, there is a youth bubbling under the surface, but that is just not quite ready yet. Hence, we are left with what we've got, which isn't very good.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 5:48pm

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

As I see it Martin O'Neil effectively retired Whelan a there was some tokenistic game where he was subbed off after 25 odd minutes.

However Mccarthy recalled Whelan when he became manager and he was un-retired...  
You said he was retired at Euro 2016, then said he was a key player after the euros
How could he have been a key player if he was retired?
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 6:54pm
Hey tets,

During the euro 2016 finals under O'Neil we played Sweden in our first game (1.1) and got hammered by Belgium in the second game (3.0) whelan played on both games.

The remaining 2 games (Italy and France) whelan was dropped to the bench.

He played a few games thereafter but between 28th March 2017 - 19th nov 2019. Of the remaining 19 games under O'Neil he was not in the squad for 10, on the bench for 3 and only played +45 mins in 2 of his 5 sub appearances.

The last being the 36 min supposed swan song vs N.Ireland.

Once mccarthy took over, he was playing 90mins in 5 and 82 mins in 1 of mccarthys 8 euro qualifying games.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 6:54pm

From 88 to 94 we qualified for 3 out of 4 major tournaments when the Euro was only 8 teams. Euro 92 was such a shame as we just missed out when our team was at their peak. 

After 94 the slow decline started. Missing out on Euro 96 and 2000 when there was 16 teams. France 98 was the start of 32 teams. 

2002 was a brilliant campaign and everything went right for us.
Not qualifying for anything after showed we didn’t have a squad like in the early 90’s. 

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 7:40pm

Hey tets,

During the euro 2016 finals under O'Neil we played Sweden in our first game (1.1) and got hammered by Belgium in the second game (3.0) whelan played on both games.

The remaining 2 games (Italy and France) whelan was dropped to the bench.

He played a few games thereafter but between 28th March 2017 - 19th nov 2019. Of the remaining 19 games under O'Neil he was not in the squad for 10, on the bench for 3 and only played +45 mins in 2 of his 5 sub appearances.

The last being the 36 min supposed swan song vs N.Ireland.

Once McCarthy's took over, he was playing 90mins in 5 and 82 mins in 1 of mccarthys 8 euro qualifying games.

None of which made him a key player, which you described him as
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:42am
At 37 I suspect that Whelan will retire at the end of this season. 

Strange to believe that he was a certainty to start in the central midfield role under mccarthy about 10 months ago and now he struggles to finish a game at Struggling Fleetwood.

Anyway the reason for posting is that for some reason I think of all the irish players that have retired over the last few years, I really think Whelan would be suited to a managerial role. 

Not all good managers were good players and over the years Whelan has shown commitment, determination, focus and a host of other qualities that will transfer to a manager position... just a thought anyway.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 11:55am

Strange to believe that he was a certainty to start in the central midfield role under mccarthy about 10 months ago and now he struggles to finish a game at Struggling Fleetwood.

Anyway the reason for posting is that for some reason I think of all the irish players that have retired over the last few years, I really think Whelan would be suited to a managerial role. 

Not all good managers were good players and over the years Whelan has shown commitment, determination, focus and a host of other qualities that will transfer to a manager position... just a thought anyway.

277 Premier League Appearances.
91 CAPS.

Was a great servant for us.

Was on the end of outrageous criticism from a very ignorant cohort of fans and media.

Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

91 CAPS.

Was on the end of outrageous criticism from a very ignorant cohort of fans and media.

Couldn't agree more
Getting old and intolerant
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

91 CAPS.

Funny how you can’t see this with SK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 154155156157158 159>
  Share Topic