You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 159>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:37am
He's currently on 91.

91 + 2 playoffs + 1 friendly + 3 euro group stage games = 97 caps.

And even that is asking a fair amount. I don't think he'll make 100.
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 4:44am
I think Whelan's poor performances for Ireland have been largely dictated by the fact the two previous managers saw him as protection for the back 4 only. He was never encouraged to be positive with the ball under Trap or MON. That's the one noticable difference  under Mick, he has tries to dictate the play a little bit more. It's a shame this is the case at 36 and not 26 because he is a decent midfielder when given the chance. He has a few hundred appearances in the PL under his belt and 90 odd caps. You don't do that if you're a bad player
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 7:07am
Agree with this.
Our opinions were mostly formed during the Trap and MoN eras when he had a simple mandate .
This campaign has been excellent for him relatively speaking and I'm delighted he can bow out after this term rather than the last.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

He's currently on 91.

91 + 2 playoffs + 1 friendly + 3 euro group stage games = 97 caps.

And even that is asking a fair amount. I don't think he'll make 100.

I think we'll have at least 2 friendlies before the Euros (of course whether he plays in those games is another story.

Spoke with a lad before the game who was giving him a load of crap saying he's useless doesn't pass the ball forward crap doesn't tackle or get forward blah blah blah. 

Came out later in the conversation that Denmark was the first game he has gone to.

gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:02am
this is the problem I’ve had with loads of people. Their basing their opinion on a player not on what they see but the public perception based on the rankings of Eamon Dunphy. This campaign Glen has been our most consistent performer but still gets slated by people who refuse to alter their views. 

It was the same with Robbie Keane in the last few years of his career and people were calling for him to be dropped and just look at our goals for ratio now.

I don’t mind good honest debate but non stop slating of any player or manager without being able to take other peoples view into account just means topics just get taken over by the same few all the time.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Well Deise just posted an article regarding our goal scoring exploits 

Possession and passes completed, just looking at the Switzerland games we had 40% and 43% possession with 76% passing accuracy.

Similar stats against Georgia. You can check the rest for yourself 

The statistical evidence is compelling, I'm convinced. .
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 10:59am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

this is the problem I’ve had with loads of people. Their basing their opinion on a player not on what they see but the public perception based on the rankings of Eamon Dunphy. This campaign Glen has been our most consistent performer but still gets slated by people who refuse to alter their views. 

It was the same with Robbie Keane in the last few years of his career and people were calling for him to be dropped and just look at our goals for ratio now.

I don’t mind good honest debate but non stop slating of any player or manager without being able to take other peoples view into account just means topics just get taken over by the same few all the time.

To be fair Whelan has been one of our better players in this campaign but he has also been piss poor in previous campaigns and criticism was justified. He was a relatively safe option but we are never going to develop with him in the team.

Re Robbie Keane, your argument does not make sense. He was poor in the last few years and he wasn't scoring except against the likes of gibraltar. Don't get me wrong he was a great player but time waits for no man

Competitive Goals
2016 0 Goals
2015 2 Goals against Gibraltar
2014 3 Goals against Gibraltar
2013 5 Goals (3 v Faroes, 1 v Kazachstan, 1 v Sweden)

It's not me it's you:-)
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:07am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

I think Whelan's poor performances for Ireland have been largely dictated by the fact the two previous managers saw him as protection for the back 4 only. He was never encouraged to be positive with the ball under Trap or MON. That's the one noticable difference  under Mick, he has tries to dictate the play a little bit more. It's a shame this is the case at 36 and not 26 because he is a decent midfielder when given the chance. He has a few hundred appearances in the PL under his belt and 90 odd caps. You don't do that if you're a bad player

Yep,this is what he has been from the get go,hes an average holding midfielder that (lets face it) is in a team of average ballers,hes job is to break up play and sit in front of the back four.To stay in any team you must execute or try to execute your managers instructions,for me, Whelan does this to the best of his ability.

The position in todays game is very tough for someone his size,this is where Duffy comes in.Duffy has gone from strength to strength,commanding his area to try play slightly higher up the pitch,
it suits Whelan and gives him a little more confidence to move into spaces.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:10am
And here comes the Eamonn Dunphy stuff LOL LOL

Whelan getting close to 100 caps is a symbol for the absolute barren wasteland that out midfield has been for the past decade. If we we were anything but a turgid, horrid, conservative football team over that decade, Whelan would have been a squad player with 10 to 20 caps. Instead he's wheeled out again in this campaign as we set up to attempt to win almost no games of note. Well, job done. We effectively played 6 games in this campaign, we won 1. We attempted to attack for about an hour or so in total out of all those 6 games. Beyond depressing.

It is funny to hear so many say that Whelan has no role in how creative the team is going forward, or has no role in how our other midfield players play. Then go on about the Dunphy brigade as if they have a single clue about football.

Imagine saying that a player at the heart of midfield has no role in what we do in an attacking sense as a team. Just take a minute, and imagine that now. Then imagine how stupid it is to say such a thing and also say that anyone criticising Whelan is a Dunphy fan, a barstooler and hasn't a clue about football. You genuinely couldn't make up that level of utter tripe.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Under MON when it came to the crunch Whelan was out. Germany win. Italy win. Last 16 euros match vs France. It is amazing how such things are forgotten.

If we are looking to play non football, which we have done for the best part of a decade mostly, Whelan is the perfect guy to sit there, fill a space and do little more. When we actually want to win big games, amazingly MON went without him. Maybe it's a pure coincidence. 
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

And here comes the Eamonn Dunphy stuff LOL LOL

Whelan getting close to 100 caps is a symbol for the absolute barren wasteland that out midfield has been for the past decade. If we we were anything but a turgid, horrid, conservative football team over that decade, Whelan would have been a squad player with 10 to 20 caps. Instead he's wheeled out again in this campaign as we set up to attempt to win almost no games of note. Well, job done. We effectively played 6 games in this campaign, we won 1. We attempted to attack for about an hour or so in total out of all those 6 games. Beyond depressing.

It is funny to hear so many say that Whelan has no role in how creative the team is going forward, or has no role in how our other midfield players play. Then go on about the Dunphy brigade as if they have a single clue about football.

Imagine saying that a player at the heart of midfield has no role in what we do in an attacking sense as a team. Just take a minute, and imagine that now. Then imagine how stupid it is to say such a thing and also say that anyone criticising Whelan is a Dunphy fan, a barstooler and hasn't a clue about football. You genuinely couldn't make up that level of utter tripe.
Explain..
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:33pm
You want me to explain that Glenn Whelan is a central midfield player?

We are through the looking glass people.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:45pm
I've said this a million times on here, but here goes again.

Under Trap, O'Neill and now McCarthy we have been playing a direct brand of ultra conservative football, the memo is to get the ball forward as quick as possible with minimal phases of play which can cover up flaws (i.e. not taking risks to expose your ability on the ball when under pressure or in tight areas)

When we don't have the ball, we all filter back as a team and stay extremely narrow and compact, not entertaining the idea of a full on high press.

Any half competent player could play the role Whelan does, he screens infront of a defence who aren't exactly the carbon copy of Liverpool with crazy high lines or who find themselves camped firmly in the oppositions half for 90 mins!

Any team that defends deep will suit a player like Whelan because the space between him and the centre half's will be minimal when out of possession.

"Oh the armchairs fans or lads who don't go to matches don't know the role Whelan plays" is absolute bollox.

Again, the same old nonsense spouted. 

Edited by Green Devil - 21 Nov 2019 at 12:49pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:55pm
It is scary to read such comments and that these opinions are widely held.

For anyone to say that a midfield player, no matter what their designated role, has no input into how we attack is frightening.

I'll go back to my favourite chestnut or our CBs, particularly Duffy. Duffy and the defensive line we keep is possibly the most important thing in our entire attacking setup. When we defend our 18 yard box for 90 mins and never ever move up the pitch, our attacking system has no chance.

If you have a midfielder who offers nothing creatively but minds a space in front of the back 4 and that's it, it effects our attacking system hugely.

How people can't see can a football team and it's players are all linked in defensive and attacking contributions is scary tbh. Whelan's role has had a massive impact on the 1 or 2 players playing alongside him for a long time.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:04pm

Surprised no PL sides came in for him in the summer and how such a fantastic player ended up signing for Hearts I will never know.

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:11pm
I have been one of Whelan's biggest critics since I joined the forum, no question and never hid the fact.

I can take into account the role he was asked to play by Trap, O'Neill and now McCarthy fair enough "but" for the way we play and how set up, again any half competent player could play that role.

I'm seeing comments that Whelan was immense the other night! Immense LOL

Immense was Roy Keane's performance away in Turn for Man United or Richard Dunne in Moscow, but still we're subjected to the usual sh*te that it's only the armchair fan who doesn't rate Whelan.

Denmark were absolutely poison the other night in every sense, it wasn't down to our holding midfielder stopping them from playing on his own.

If we want to start winning footballing matches (which we tend not to do very well) we will need to be more expansive and take more risks, thus removing Whelan and one or two others from our starting 11.

Now if we want to draw our way to The Euro's and draw some more if we get there, by all means lets continue with Whelan and one or two others.

But please save me this nonsense that Whelan is some sort of legend and we'll miss him when he's gone, we won't. We may lose more games when we remove the shackles but we'll win more games also.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
fochie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fochie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

You want me to explain that Glenn Whelan is a central midfield player?

We are through the looking glass people.

Its ok hans GD just explained it for you.You seem to have a gripe with every post.
AngryConfused
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 1:36pm
I think that if we look at the ireland midfielders over the past few years, its difficult not to agree that Whelan was one of the best of a very bad bunch.

James McCarthy and Harry Arter are unreliable for various reasons we wont go into 

Hendrick and hourihane are technically better footballers but both tend to go missing in games for large periods of time.

James mcclean and Brady have been either absent in the case of Brady and high energy but mediocre ability in mccleans case 

Robinson and browne have played a few games and have only started making some progress in terms of impact on the team.

Players like Cullen , molumby, Byrne have only just started getting game time with clubs.

So whelan I would say, has been our better midfielder. 

But I disagree with some of the superlatives used to describe him like immense etc. 

We would have been worse off without him but he's not a midfielder that should be looking at close to 100 caps for ireland.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126127 159>
  Share Topic