Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glenn Whelan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 159>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Rarely gets praise but he played very well on Monday. He covered some amount of ground until he went off. As much as you could hope for from a 33 year old.
He really is rolling back the years.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:44pm
The ireland midfield has been getting steadily worse for ten years and has been a real problem area for us, yet our midfield players seem to have great games! 

Strange paradox.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 7:50pm

Rarely gets praise but he played very well on Monday. He covered some amount of ground until he went off. As much as you could hope for from a 33 year old.

He’s actually been praised widely on here after every game of this campaign almost!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 8:10pm

He's nearly 36!

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Rodneytrotter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodneytrotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 9:39pm
Delighted for him, , and if he signs off after this,  he will have gone out with pride .
The abuse he had to take was disgusting at times . Usually the armchair fans the loudest of course , having never gone to lansdowne unless Man Utd playing in a friendly 

daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

Delighted for him, , and if he signs off after this,  he will have gone out with pride .
The abuse he had to take was disgusting at times . Usually the armchair fans the loudest of course , having never gone to lansdowne unless Man Utd playing in a friendly 

Well said rodders, and there is some amount of armchair plonkers on here, just look at the gobaloons that post while our international matches are in progress the same idiots all the time, and by the way the same idiots from a bit back just with different aliases, the most negative lollipops you can imagine, there is 1 guy who has yet to post anything positive about our national team and players sine he joined this forum but keeps coming back in various guises Embarrassed
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Rodneytrotter Rodneytrotter wrote:

Spot on. I thought he was brilliant on Monday night, a limited player yes but he does his job excellently. I’d say half the fellas that post on here to run him down don’t actually get what his job is. Also, fellas sh*tting all over his career with Stoke and Villa haven’t a clue what they’re saying. He survived countless managerial changes and countless players signed in midfield to replace him or give him competition. 

A season ticket holder at Tynecastle works in our Scottish office and told me a couple of weeks ago that Whelan has been their best player this season. Granted Hearts aren’t exactly lighting it up in the league but he’s 35 and has been their best player - he has to be doing something right. And as the Scottish fella told me, Whelan is Irish so they’d love to hate him at Hearts but they all love him. 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:10pm
Glen Whelan again put in an excellent shift arguably our MOTM on the night, a great servant to the green of Ireland.
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:27pm
Don't care what anyone says.

Class act. 

Good against Swiss 

Excellent against Denmark

Edited by kearney304 - 20 Nov 2019 at 10:27pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:33pm
The defence of Whelan here is admirable as he faces a hell of a lot of criticism. I'm as guilty as anyone.

But the criticism is not all without foundation. I would agree that he's been one of irelands best midfielders and up until very recently I dont think there was a player to replace him.

Saying that, our midfield performances have been a horror show by many different metric including possession, competed passes, chances created etc etc over the last 5-6 years.

Whelans market value has never exceeded a couple of million and when criticising whelan I never question his determination or commitment, but the quality just simply isnt there.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The defence of Whelan here is admirable as he faces a hell of a lot of criticism. I'm as guilty as anyone.

But the criticism is not all without foundation. I would agree that he's been one of irelands best midfielders and up until very recently I dont think there was a player to replace him.

Saying that, our midfield performances have been a horror show by many different metric including possession, competed passes, chances created etc etc over the last 5-6 years.

Whelans market value has never exceeded a couple of million and when criticising whelan I never question his determination or commitment, but the quality just simply isnt there.

Can you provide some statistics to back up your analysis?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

I agree 100% that the midfield has been the problem - no creativity and no excitement. That isn’t Whelan’s fault, he’s there to do a different job which validated my point that people that criticise him don’t understand what his job is. 

Hourihane, Browne, Hendrick, Cullen etc are the players that need to be creating in this team. Whelan is not and has never once been a player that’s going to get on the ball and pick a pass or take on players with a run with the ball at his feet. 

Whelan isn’t the problem, the problem has been the players he’s had in the team with him. His best partner was Keith Andrews and it’s no coincidence the run we went on in the Euro 2012 qualifiers when both were in form and complimented each other very well. Whelan would win the ball, give it to Andrews who was a better ball player and in turn he’d give it to McGeady, Duff or Keane up top. Different players in a different team yes but Whelan’s job hasn’t changed. The quality of players in the team around him has.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 10:50pm
Well Deise just posted an article regarding our goal scoring exploits 

Possession and passes completed, just looking at the Switzerland games we had 40% and 43% possession with 76% passing accuracy.

Similar stats against Georgia. You can check the rest for yourself 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 11:03pm
I agree totally with what you're saying @Bundy. Whelan was never going to skip past players and play a needle point through ball to the striker. Nor would I expect him to at all.

But when whelan receives the ball from defenders he doesnt have the ability drive the team forward. There are far too many passes square of backwards.you could argue that other midfielders are to blame if you want but I'm not convinced.

When we dont have possession ther are always massive holes in the midfield. Teams go through our midfield far too easily.

Again you could say other players around him are also to blame but that just brings me back to my point that the midfield quality just isnt there.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 11:15pm
Whelan didn't have a bad game, in fact he was very good for the first 25 minutes especially. I find it funny though how he seems to attract so many plaudits from those who are most negative about our team and the talent available to us overall. It's almost like he's a poster boy for those with defeatist, mediocrity-oriented mindsets. Funnily enough, it's our more capable, skillful players who seem to bare the lion's share of these same poster's scorn...
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2019 at 11:29pm
He is our only capable midfielder though, for all his faults. The rest of them are neither skilful or capable, unfortunately. Unless of course anonymity is a skill!
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:31am
Will he make it to 100 caps? If we qualify he'll be helped by 2 extra play off matches. Pre euro friendlies and 3 group matches in the euros. What would that leave him on? 
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 12:35am
Crutches probably
Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 122123124125126 159>
  Share Topic