Topic ClosedStan, the media and Irish fans

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stan, the media and Irish fans
    Posted: 26 Mar 2007 at 12:35pm
Stan did the shortest ever press conference today at 31 seconds.

I'd like to hear what people think of this issue.
For years we have always laughed at the Brits and there over the top media and fans expectations.
Are we now going down that same road?
I know its part of his job, but should Stan really entertain the media who have insulted him both personally and professionally recently?

Fair enough he is a crap manager and all that. But some of the abuse has been uncalled for.
Is abusing Stan and the team going to improve irish soccer?
Should we not support him while he is in charge and quietly hope he gets the bullet?
Personally I can't see fans abuse getting him the sack.
Sponsored Links

Jimmy 2 Times View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2007 at 4:11pm
Its very hard to get behind a man with the personality of a brick.  He inspires no confidence in me as an overpriced ticket paying frustrated Irish supporter. We pay his wages so therefore we are intitled to press conferences with the man even though most of them are more cringeworthy than watching David Brent in the Office.  Its his job to talk to the media whether they slate him or not.  They arent slating him for nothing by the way. Its part of the job, what do people expect?..... fans and the media to tiptoe around an issue that are really passionate about! no way Jose!  He wpuldnt get abuse if he didnt talk utter sh*te aswell "San Marino will cause a few problems in this group" whatever mate, thats just pure and utter bo**ocks! At least have the decency to treat the Irish Supporter with a bit of intelligence.  

Its very hard to get behind a man with the personality of a brick.  He inspires no confidence in me as an overpriced ticket paying frustrated Irish supporter. We pay his wages so therefore we are intitled to press conferences with the man even though most of them are more cringeworthy than watching David Brent in the Office.  Its his job to talk to the media whether they slate him or not.  They arent slating him for nothing by the way. Its part of the job, what do people expect?..... fans and the media to tiptoe around an issue that are really passionate about! no way Jose!  He wpuldnt get abuse if he didnt talk utter sh*te aswell "San Marino will cause a few problems in this group" whatever mate, thats just pure and utter bo**ocks! At least have the decency to treat the Irish Supporter with a bit of intelligence.  
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2007 at 5:12pm
thats my point, the man is a joke with the media but let him get on with the real issues.
you just stated "Its very hard to get behind a man with the personality of a brick"
Fair enough, everyone knows that. But the personal insults on this issue are a it much.
Put yourself in his shoes. would you entetain the media?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 2:22am
Like I said above, of course he has to entertain the media which by the way himself and Delaney have been dodgin all the way along and sticking Bobby out in the front line. We're just repeating ourselves here on this issue, the personal issues are fair game as we are paying supporters are intitled to know whats going on and are entitled to comment.  On this note, this is the only reason he is getting the abuse.  As irelands most capped player and as a loyal playing servant for years for the Irish team I have nothing but respect and admiration for the man but as manager....to put it nicely, wrong choice 

Like I said above, of course he has to entertain the media which by the way himself and Delaney have been dodgin all the way along and sticking Bobby out in the front line. We're just repeating ourselves here on this issue, the personal issues are fair game as we are paying supporters are intitled to know whats going on and are entitled to comment.  On this note, this is the only reason he is getting the abuse.  As irelands most capped player and as a loyal playing servant for years for the Irish team I have nothing but respect and admiration for the man but as manager....to put it nicely, wrong choice 
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
Don Quayballs View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 3:52am
agreed he is the wrong man for the job but can you really see anyone else taking the job?
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 4:16am
thats the problem, who's available and even so who would even want it now?  Roy Keane/Mother Therea Quinn part-time partnership, Aldo part-time with his singing career, Mike Bassett, Bertie Bassett, Alf the Alien from the 80's hit show.  I'd go with Jose who seems to be on his way out from Chelski though 
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 5:41am
i cant see keano seriously even considering the job unless there is a massive clear out at the top of the FAI (ie delaney corcoran and the rest of the keystone cops).
The Fai wont spend top dollar on anyone which in my opinion is why we have stan at the mo.
él Statutorio View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 5:44am
do the fai even have "top dollar" to spend on a manager?
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 5:49am
of course they have money, the only problem is that the blazers might have to take a cut in their own pay to get someone in. Reagrding an erlier bpost about who would take the job, there are plenty of mercenary good managers out there who once shown the proper money will come on board. This is fair enough aswell as you pay for what you get.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 5:50am
i dont think that the money is there at all, if it was then why gamble on stan in the first place?
All the fai's money seems to be thrown towards the Landsdowne rd project
él Statutorio View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 5:52am
agreed, if the money was there in the first place then stan would still be putting out the cones at walsall and we would have someone who has a clue what they're doing. Stan reminds me of someone playing championship manager, badly.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 6:02am

I dont understand their choice at all.  I presume they picked Stan cause they wanted someone in for the next 10 years but where do you see this nowadays in football except the odd one like Ferguson etc. What they should have done was made Robson number one on a 3 year contract and had the gaffer stan as his number 2.  They would both be on the same money as now presumably but without the nonsence of Mr Coach of the walsall reserves defence and free-kicks running the show! Short term and long term gains for them would have been sorted then with Sir Bobby in charge

L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 12:33pm
It's fine for us fans and right to rant on forums and to our mates about what we really think of Stan, but if you are in the main stream media there should be some form of restraint, sending someone in a Mrs Piggy mask to do an interview is wrong,

But in saying that, Stan knew what to expect when he took the job, therfore he should just accept it and face it head on, saying 'I didn't murder anyone' just annoys the media and fans even more.

Look at India and Pakistan after the cricket the fans are burning effigies and would tear the team apart if they met them, at least we aren't that extreme.....mind you after Wednesday I'm going to be selling Stan effigies reckon I'll make a killing ALLAH AHKBER
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 3:58pm

Did you hear his comment about the booes boys at the bernard Dunne fight?'Different crowd at boxing matches, few jars on board'. He actually should have slated the muppets in the crowd that booed the players.  The players who were there have been in the Ireland setup a lot longer than the last year and dont deserve that bullsh*t from some arseholes!

Did you hear his comment about the booes boys at the bernard Dunne fight?'Different crowd at boxing matches, few jars on board'. He actually should have slated the muppets in the crowd that booed the players.  The players who were there have been in the Ireland setup a lot longer than the last year and dont deserve that bullsh*t from some arseholes!

Edited by Jimmy 2 Times - 27 Mar 2007 at 3:58pm
Ah Shadaapa You Face!

Ah Shadaapa You Face!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic