You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sir Roger Casement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sir Roger Casement
    Posted: 19 May 2009 at 3:57am
One of the less celebrated heros's of the Easter Rising. This is a copy of the the excellent speech he made in court before he was sentanced to death by the British government. Give it a read if ur interested.

"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:02am
A fantastic speech that I've read many times before; Roger Casement was one of the most daring volunteers of the Rising and took his punishment with absolute bravery. When his remains were returned to Ireland in 1965 he was bureid in Glasnevin with a full state funeral. However, it was his final wish to be buried in Murlough Bay in Co. Antrim - he will have to wait a while longer for this request.

Good post zizuClap
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The_Yank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:01pm
Thanks for posting Zizu!!

Clap
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:17pm
Good stuff zizu. Did my history project for the leavin cert on Roger Casement.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:24pm
was roger casement's legacy not dogged in later years after it was discovered he was paedophile? i think i remember hearing that recent tests on diaries said to belong to him confirmed this?
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

was roger casement's legacy not dogged in later years after it was discovered he was paedophile? i think i remember hearing that recent tests on diaries said to belong to him confirmed this?

I think it was proved that he was gay alright (also very strong speculation that Padraig Pearse was aswell), but i dont think there is any strong evidence to support the theory that he was a paedaphile, probably slander by the British.

Im pretty sure that they still have 100% proved that the diaries were written by him
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 8:35am
He had a male lover and I think he was named in the book REBELS which was a great book on the Rising. An Irish patriot to be sure, he landed on the west coast of Ireland and tried to organise a rising in the west but was captured early on. Well, thats what I remember anyway....and no I'm not that old! I read it somewhere!!!
There are friendlier places to drink.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 9:18am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

I think it was proved that he was gay alright (also very strong speculation that Padraig Pearse was aswell), but i dont think there is any strong evidence to support the theory that he was a paedaphile, probably slander by the British.

Im pretty sure that they still have 100% proved that the diaries were written by him

Read an account of his Amazon diaries on the abuse taking place in the rubber trade which also cross referenced at the time the 'Black' diaries - authors view was that he couldnt/didnt have the time to write both. However RTE docu a few years ago sought to forensically analyse the Black diaries and concluded that they were written by Casement - although they intervied the amazon author and he still professed his innocence. Theres no doubt I think that he was gay, the other allogations ? I  wouldnt put it pass  British Intelligence.

Recommended read - Fenian Fire by Christy Campbell alledged plots to kill Queen Victoria, double agents, triple agents black operations - (intersting fact - New Scotland Yard is called new because the Fenians blew up the 'old' Scotland yard by placing a bomb in a nearby pub.
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 10:48am
The forensic analyses on the diaries was flawed and its result would not have been upheld in a US court, one expert has claimed. The forensic analyses in question was   joint funded by RTE and the BBC. An impartial investigation (i.e. by American scholars) would be the only way we will ever get conclusive proof.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 3:26pm
no doubt he was gay, and there's no problem with that but there was always lingering accusations regarding abuse of kids. no doubt the british government played on the rumours though. he was caught at Banna Strand, Co Kerry on a submarine smuggling arms which were to be used during the rising in 1916. he was executed shortly afterwards. he had gotten the guns from the German authorities, who were in flown blown war with the Brits.

it was casements capture (More importantly - the guns) that put the rising in doubt and lack of communication meant that only a quarter of intending participants were involved and it started on easter monday, not easter sunday as planned.
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 4:26pm
Homosexuality was a crime in those days, hence the significance of the smeer campaing, remember, it was Oscar Wilde's private life which brought Edward Carson to the forefront of Unionist politics.

Casement was also seen in many respects as a traitor by the British, no least for fratenising with the Germans, but given his previous employment and knighthood.

His capture, and as Tom says, the capture of weapons, dealt a massive blow to the heroes of 1916, the Rising was never going to be a military victory as it was, let alone without the intended numbers or ammunition!
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic