FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Irish Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Irish Question
    Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 4:08pm
After the free-for-all regarding Gibson, and the insistence on both sides that they are right, is it time once again to ask ourselves once again, isn't a united Ireland team the way forward?

I am not for one minute going to be the strong case for or against, just putting the idea out there, here are some of the key points we need to consider:

1) The days of pure sectarian hatred, football hooliganism are behind us, and it's now possible to put us all in the one stadium (Setanta Cup matches)

2) The issue of northern born players still haunts FIFA, the IFA and the FAI: wouldn't a solution be great which suited everyone?!

3) Under FIFA and UEFA regulations, this would mean a unification of the leagues; how hard would this really be? USSR had to do it, dissolving into several federations, as did Serbia and Monteneegro recently; I know the FAI aren't the sharpest tools in the box, but even they could have a go at this.

4) Obviously there will then be the question as to who would cease to exist, the IFA or the FAI; and I am quite happy to see it be the FAI. (Before someone heads for their shotgun let me explain): Association Football in Ireland always had a natural home in Belfast, and so what? Áth Cliath has the GAA and the IRFU, what difference would it make? It is even possible to regionalise soccer, northern and southern leagues, with a play off for the European spots, it would be as it is at the moment, but with a bigger prize for the setanta cup final.

5) Windsor or Lansdowne? Alternate! If the north build a multi-purpose stadium there's one venue, plus Lansdowne = 2! Other countries alternate their stadium, it's no big deal!

Well that's just a few points, but I hope people can see it's not totally ridiculous! Please be constructive with responses!
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 4:42pm
No way... Im not going to a stadium named after the royal family to watch MY country. Being a proud irish man I would only support a 32 county Irish team when the country itself is united
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 4:50pm
Much, much more trouble than its worth IMO. I personally think things are fair the way they are, the Republic of Ireland represents all Irish people. 
The people of Northern Ireland will never give up their team and i wouldnt expect them to either. Why should they? Come to think about it, i wouldnt want to share an international team with people who take offense at being called Irish. 

Clearer rules need to be made however on players like Darron Gibson from NI being allowed to represent Ireland. Due to the unique situation in Ulster, this choice needs to be down to the individual.
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 5:32pm
I can't see it ever happening until the country is one 32 county republic.  However, at that time (I hope I am alive to see it), I would advocate that the IFA be the governing body.  It was the original governing body before partition.

For right now, my view is simple... if you qualify for the passport/citizenship through any means(granny rule, GFA, naturalization), you qualify to play for the Republic.  It is the individuals choice.
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 6:55pm
Ideally it's probably the best situation, but since when have ideals ever matched reality...now is definitely not the time..but who would have thought Croke Park would have FORDIGNERS playing at it. So who knows in 10-20 years time it would be a good idea. And one thing that would definitely make it happen is if both teams continue to qualify for nothing. No success on both pitches would force the issue. Money and success, or a lack of it are great bridges of divides
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2007 at 7:05pm
We have a supposedly 32 county rugby team but for me that is utterly compromised cos of the Amhrán na bhFiann/Ireland's Call farce and the team walking out behind a flag with an emblem and not our country's flag and that's a disgrace.  My brother was in France for one of the rugby WC games and the attitude of Ulster Irish towards the Southern "compatriots" was hostile bordering on downright hatred so maybe we haven't all grown up after all, despite the respect to God Save the Queen in Croker last Feb.   So a 32 county soccer team will not happen in the near or even distant future in my opinion.  I reckon as well if we united, the pressure would be on from other countries for the Scots/Welsh and English to unite, imagine the gnashing of teeth that would generate.

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 29 Oct 2007 at 7:06pm
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
TheManInTheHat View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 5:42am

Anyone wanting to guage the average norn iron fan's opinion of the Republic of Ireland (not just the football team, but the country as a whole) should go to the OWC website and check out the forum.

I don't want anything to do with those c**ts.

And your travelling army of synthetic supporters
Would be taken away from you and thrown in the bin
ryaner13 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 7:42am
I can't see it happening in the next 10-20 years..Look at the Neil Lennon affair a few years back his family were facing death threats can you just imagine the Protestant North supporters to seeing us come up to Winsdor and taking over "their" turf!! 
No thanks.

Edited by ryaner13 - 30 Oct 2007 at 7:43am
Liverpool F.C go deo..
Justice View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 8:30am

The Nordies are knocking down that kip Windsor (which incidently would be too small to hold an All-Ireland teams fans) soon enough in any case and have a new stadium been built on either on the old Maze Prison site or another location in Belfast city. They can't really agree on where or how much its gonna hold in any case. But if they do eventually go ahead with a new stadium and boot out the remaining biggots who attend Linfield and Norn Ireland matches, I wouldn't be totally against an All Ireland team playing outta Belfast. The word "agree" though is a key word and until that happens we'll have to make do with an ROI team. However, Young Christopher makes a fair few decent points such as four and five. Furthermore, I think an  All Ireland team with a decent manager and no blazers form Merrion Square would really improve our chances of qualification for major tournaments.  Perhaps in 20-25 yrs such an ideal may become a reality......

Irelands Call my arse...
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 9:45am
Good points, can't argue with them! I was just playing devils advocate there.

The compromises that would have to be made would be sickening; the tricolour, Amhrán na bhFiann, home internationals in Dublin etc...

The worrying thought is, as Bobby Sands said 'Tiocfaidh ár lá', and when it does these will be things that have to be considered. I just hope its not Delaney thrashing them out with the IFA!
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
L.Y.A. View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 10:24am
Maybe Global warming will cover the North in water: problem solved
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2007 at 10:28am
LOL
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016