You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Champions" League

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Champions" League
    Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 2:19am
Apologies if I don't make too much sense, or appear to be on a bit of a rant, but I've been up all night writing an essay...but, here it goes:

Is anyone else disgusted that nations have more than one team in the European Cup, or the so called "Champions" League. I'm a United fan, and realisitcally we shouldn't have won the Treble because in 1998 we didn't win the league, and therefore shouldn't have been in the European Cup, (cue Liverpool fans going balistic because they wouldnt have been in the competition since the days of tight short shorts and mullet haircutsLOL)!

Perhaps I'm not annoyed as much that nations have multiple places, but that some nations champions have to qualify, such as Ireland, north of Ireland etc etc; Scotland are one the cusp in the coefficient rankings, and some years the Champions have had to qualify and its WRONG.

The straight knock out competition for me was far more entertaining, and, contrary to popular assumption, was far less predictable. Look at the teams who won the European Cup in its glory days, now haven't got a chance, because country protection and seeding means you're almost guaranteed 4 English club and/or 3 Spanish and Italian clubs in the quarter finals...it just seems to be getting a bit predictable

That said, can't wait to beat Arsenal...but only because you can only beat whose in front of you, I'd rather it be Slavia Prague or someone on principle!LOL
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
Sponsored Links

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 11:20am
It is getting predictable but if man u came up against the likes of bohs every year it would be predictable as well . . . The knock out format was great at the time but the away goal rule now makes the champions league what it is
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tash Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 11:39am

Much prefer the old European Cup every game was meaningful, big clubs can afford to lose group stage games in Champions League and still qualify for the knockout stages, the big money in Spanish and English top tier leagues has given them a better chance to win this every year, expect a repeat of a recent final myself with the same outcome Barca beating Arsenal, not good to have the same teams reaching the latter stages every year its like a glorified FA cup semi final this year.

Yeah bring back national league champions only and open draw and home and away games that need to be won regardless of the quality of opposition every round.

Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiofain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 11:50am
Totally agree it should be a knock out, but its structured this way purely to ensure the elite teams (Utd, Barca, Real etc) are always in the running and thus will play as many games in the compition as possible and in turn make UEFA and all the sponsors plently of cash...
European compition started going sh1te when they abolished the Cup Winners Cup IMO.
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 11:53am
Originally posted by stiofain stiofain wrote:

Totally agree it should be a knock out, but its structured this way purely to ensure the elite teams (Utd, Barca, Real etc) are always in the running and thus will play as many games in the compition as possible and in turn make UEFA and all the sponsors plently of cash...
European compition started going sh1te when they abolished the Cup Winners Cup IMO.

Clap 

Always seemed to give some of the less successful teams a chance of winning a European trophy.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
The Rovers View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rovers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 12:36pm
Defo should be the way it used to be as a knockout competition. There was nothing wrong with old European Cup and also Uefa Cups and Cup Winners cup. The modern format just makes the big clubs bigger and widens the gap from the smaller ones. 
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 4:13am
I agree wit most of what ye are saying, and I remeber the old Euro Cup system, from when Barca (Romario) destroyed us 4-0 in the Nou Camp !!
But I have to admit I look forward every year to the Tues, Wed evening champions league, it breaks up the week nicely, so I IMO it should stay that way !! Thumbs%20Up
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 4:26am
I think it should stay the same but change the name of it to stop people having a problem that not everyone is a Champion of their league. It's the best competition in the world where the best football is played so why would anyone wanna change that?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:32am
Reformatting of this would mean a SERIOUS reformatting in UEFA cup. And therefore a lot of small clubs would lose European football. This would be unfair, no?
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:33am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Reformatting of this would mean a SERIOUS reformatting in UEFA cup. And therefore a lot of small clubs would lose European football. This would be unfair, no?

They will never make any major reformatting changes now. The big clubs would just break away and form a European League

Edited by t_rAndy - 28 Apr 2009 at 7:34am
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 8:23am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

They will never make any major reformatting changes now. The big clubs would just break away and form a European League

Agreed Smile
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 10:08am

Before xmas the big teams just go through the motions . . . . In February it really gets going but it cant be classic football every game . Even in tonight and tomorrows games we wont find out who is goin to be in the final because they will both be tight . . . The 2nd legs always come to life though . .  

Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tash Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 10:27am

Think the away team will have to score in both games if they do want to reach the final, think Chelsea will concede goals without managing to do that and Arsenal will get goals but give some up as well, think it wont be negative too much at stake for Chelsea and Arsenal not to try and get away goals.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Tash Kent Tash Kent wrote:

Think the away team will have to score in both games if they do want to reach the final, think Chelsea will concede goals without managing to do that and Arsenal will get goals but give some up as well, think it wont be negative too much at stake for Chelsea and Arsenal not to try and get away goals.

Thats true but I think it works the other way too , If Chelsea go gung ho Barcelona will demolish them . . IMO they will stifle barcas play try control the game and knick one .

Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tash Kent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 10:38am
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Originally posted by Tash Kent Tash Kent wrote:

Thats true but I think it works the other way too , If Chelsea go gung ho Barcelona will demolish them . . IMO they will stifle barcas play try control the game and knick one .

Barca have too many good forwards and other quality footballers who can score not to get away goals (more than one me thinks) at Chelsea imo, the Barca defence is suspect so Chelsea have to go for it away I think.

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 11:56am

I disagree that it was less predictable in the "good old days".

1971: Ajax
1972: Ajax
1973: Ajax
1974: Bayern Munich
1975: Bayern Munich
1976: Bayern Munich
1977: Liverpool
1978: Liverpool
1979: Nottingham Forest
1980: Nottingham Forest
1981: Liverpool
1982: Aston Villa
1983: Hamburg
1984: Liverpool
1985: Juventus

Of course 1985 was Heysel which changed the game in that the powerful English clubs were excluded. Still though whos to say if that tradgedy had not of happened, that Liverpool would not have won in 1985 and continued English dominance. 3 years in a row Ajax win, then Bayern 3 in a row. English teams then win 7 out of the next 8. Thats not even including Real Madrid winning the first 5 European Cups. In my book thats predictable. Admittedly now the English clubs have really come to dominate again but that is still 4 clubs who have the potential to win it. Add in Barcelona to that and thats 5. Then there is always the chance of a dark horse like Porto or even Villareal. Add to that the possibility of the Italian teams and Real Madrid getting their house in order and competing. It was hardly predictable when Porto won in 2004 or Liverpool in 2005. I admit that for the most part the group games are predictable but I would rather see the cream of Europe battling it out in the later stages than seeing 4 heavyweights drawn in the same group and watching a procession to the final for one of the teams that makes it out of the group.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic