You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jagielka to miss the final

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jagielka to miss the final
    Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 5:30pm

CryCry
http://evertonfc.com/news/archive/jagielka-to-miss-cup-final.html

Phil%20Jagielka%20looks%20dejected%20as%20he%20is%20stretchered%20off

Jagielka To Miss Cup Final

Everton physio Mick Rathbone has confirmed that Phil Jagielka will miss the FA Cup final.

The Blues defender was stretchered off the field during the 2-1 defeat to Manchester City at Goodison Park on Saturday.

Speaking to evertonfc.com on Saturday evening, Rathbone said: "The scan has unfortunately confirmed what we already feared and that is that Phil will be out for the rest of the season.

"He has ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and will undergo surgery in around 10 days time when the swelling has gone down.

"It's too early to estimate a return to action for the player."

This latest setback is a massive blow for the Club coming on the back of an almost identical injury to Mikel Arteta in February and the long-term absences of Yakubu (Achilles) and Victor Anichebe (knee).

Jagielka has been a rock at the heart of David Moyes' defence this season and scored the winning penalty against Manchester United which booked Everton's place in the May 30 final.

Edited by The Count - 26 Apr 2009 at 5:31pm
Sponsored Links

DamoGUFC View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoGUFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 5:48pm
Feel sorry for the lad, rock at the back for the toffees this season. 
Galway United,
My love,
My passion,
My Life.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 3:13am
Terrible luck after an outstanding season......
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Barry View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 6:38am
feel for him hes been IMO one of the best defenders this season
WindBag View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Makes great Pancakes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindBag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 6:40am
pity and he was has been solid this year, good penalty last week aswell....Angry !!

stiofain View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiofain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 2:52pm
tragic, awful luck. really feel for the lad, comes accross as a nice fella too Cry
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
The Special One View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Special One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 3:42pm
Very Unlucky alright, He should of been in the Team of the year in my opinion....!!!
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 4:41pm

Toffees optimistic over Jags

Defender set to undergo surgery on knee injury

Everton are hoping to have Phil Jagielka back in contention for the start of the 2009/10 campaign.

The centre-half suffered a season-ending knee injury on Saturday as the Toffees slipped to a 2-1 defeat against Manchester City.

He will now require an operation to rectify the problem before embarking on a lengthy rehabilitation programme.

Everton remain optimistic, though, that the summer break will give the England international enough time to regain full fitness before making his return to action.

"It's absolutely knocked everybody for six. At the training this morning (Monday) everyone was feeling it," head physio Mick Rathbone told the club's official website.

"For the first 30 minutes after the game Jags was in a state of shock and then was very, very upset after that. What upset him was when he saw how upset the players, the coaches, the manager and the fans were.

"He's out of the FA Cup final (against Chelsea) and nobody can get him that back. But he's a tough guy, he will get on with it and he will hopefully be back as good as new as near as possible to the start of next season."

Recovery

Jagielka is set to travel to London for surgery on Wednesday, with Rathbone of the opinion that going under the knife as soon as possible is best for all concerned.

"I can't wait until the operation is done on Wednesday and I go and visit him on Thursday morning and it's day one of the recovery and we can start counting down until he plays again," he added.

"Until you actually get the surgery done, you're not on the road to recovery. We're very grateful to the surgeon, Andy Williams, in London who has fitted him in at late notice.

"He is considered one of the finest knee surgeons in Europe. He's used by a lot of top players in the Premier League."

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2009 at 3:24pm

Thumbs%20Up

Surgery success for Jagielka

Toffees defender reveals phone call with Arteta

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5256549,00.html

Everton have confirmed Phil Jagielka's operation on his knee injury has gone 'really, really well'.

Jagielka faces several months on the sidelines after rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament in last Saturday's 2-1 home defeat by Manchester City.

The defender will miss the FA Cup final as a result of the injury and underwent surgery in London on Wednesday.

The operation was a success and Everton's head physio Mick Rathbone is hoping Jagielka will be able to return during the early stages of next season.

"The operation went really, really well," Rathbone told the club's official website.

Delighted

"The surgeon is absolutely delighted with it and the player's rehab can start more or less straight away.

"We never put a timescale on this type of thing, but we're looking forward to having him back as soon as possible next season."

Meanwhile, Jagielka has revealed he has discussed his situation with team-mate Mikel Arteta, who suffered a similar injury against Newcastle United in February.

Jagielka said: "Mikel rang me and it was nice to speak to him. He was there at the semi-final, but he was obviously gutted.

"It's nice that I've got someone going through a similar situation. He's obviously a month or two ahead of me so he can help me and guide me along the way when I'm feeling down."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic