You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedsupporters?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Topic: supporters?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 9:43am
are we still the self proclaimed best supporters in the world?
 ok we can now BOOO when are team are sub standard.
Pity that wasnt done against the swiss 2yrs ago when we failed to get 1 shot on target when a win was needed!!!
But why the outcry over the Cyprus game? irish people seem to think that ,no matter what happens on the field of play, just drink,laugh, sing songs, and "dont worry bout that auld result lads sur were havin a craic!"  we have to be seen as being the "best" supporters in the world.
 WHY??  in my experience at games 80% of supporters  just wanna be there to tell the "guys" at work that they were at the game last nite, there are a few that will start the songs up,and a few that will sing along. The atmosphere at most games is mostly akin to a wet nite in the r.s.c against sligo, than a cauldron of hate/song/will to win ,that is required to get some average reserve footballer in a green jersey to shake himself against some potential "banana skin" island nation!
 we are better at booing than cheering!!  it is in our small island nation psyche that, as happens on smaller scales in parish/local league games, that people cant be seen or are embaressed to be cheering louder than the guy that is booing. We wont change...
 so to the guys that thought we were out of order booing our national football team....  tough. Get used to it, we aint the best supporters in the world, just a bit better ,and more affluent, at being able to jump on a  tournament bandwagon.
   rant over..

Edited by greenspur - 25 Oct 2007 at 9:45am
5-1 to the mighty spurs!!

"we scored 5 and the scum scored 1,do dah do dah..."

wem-be-leeee
Sponsored Links

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 9:58am
Greenspur, I see your point and I agree with the sentiments you have.  We pay our money and the booing was both inevitable and deserved at the Cyprus game.  But just cos we boo on the odd occasion, that shouldn't suddenly mean we're not the supporters we rightly class as top notch. I reckon the vast majority of us bloody well do care about the result and I think this was kind of a point in Prague, that why were we singing when we'd lost?   In my opinion it was a show of defiance to the Czechs, it was a show that we acknowledged the lads had given their all (and they had in fairness), it was a show that despite our rubbish management set up, we still were here to make ourselves heard and behave properly and be ambassadors for Ireland.

While the likes of Robbie and whomever else might claim players don't wanna come over anymore cos they're too fragile to cope, I would still maintain that club fans can be and are far more scathing and vicious in their criticism when things aren't going well than we are.  We tend to be far more tolerant and insanely patient.   Maybe those days are coming to an end?

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 25 Oct 2007 at 9:59am
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 10:06am
Got to agree here.
The best for enjoying ourselves, yes.

But the phrase football supporters takes on a whole new meaning.

We may travel in large numbers but most of these don't even support our own league. It's an old argument but a good one.

And then there is the eejits at the home games, eg: the lads who said Damien Duff was playing well against Cyprus!
We can be very fickle at times
greenspur View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 10:06am

those were the days my friend.  and im not saying we were wrong in booing, as i was booing louder than most, my point was that every1 bangs on about "the best supporters in the world" but were not. most people are too "whatever" to really care.

5-1 to the mighty spurs!!

"we scored 5 and the scum scored 1,do dah do dah..."

wem-be-leeee
erimus View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 10:11am
Originally posted by GerKeano GerKeano wrote:

Got to agree here.
We may travel in large numbers but most of these don't even support our own league. It's an old argument but a good one.

I personally dont support anyone in the eircom league.So that makes me less of a supporter!!fcukin stupid argument.How many players from "our own league" are in the national team........Think thats zero
This is our f**king country we're talking about - Keano

ROLL ON 2016
greenarmy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 10:34am
"We may travel in large numbers but most of these don't even support our own league."

Smile
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 10:34am
I do actually still believe we are among the best fans following a national team, certainly the best away fans in terms of numbers going, behaviour and most of all humour.  Even the biggest soccer hating moanyhole couldn't but have a laugh on an away trip.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 10:48am
Brilliant points FREEWHEELER, ive missed all but 1 away game since '95 and in recent times there is a bit of englishness creeping in with some of the new ladz that have come on board recently.
the way we behaved in prague was the same as Irish fans have always behaved and should always behave,if we see effort on the pitch it deserves to be applauded.at the end of the day were all very frustrated cause were not qualifyin for tournaments,but turning into w**ker fans aint going to change this, a new decent manager will.
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 10:56am
Originally posted by erimus erimus wrote:

Originally posted by GerKeano GerKeano wrote:

Got to agree here. We may travel in large numbers but most of these don't even support our own league. It's an old argument but a good one.

I personally dont support anyone in the eircom league.So that makes me less of a supporter!!fcukin stupid argument.How many players from "our own league" are in the national team........Think thats zero

I wouldn't be a huge el fan either Erimus.

But they are the fans who generate money for Irish football and the FAI week in week out. And it's all about money at the end of the day. The more money the FAI have, the more they can pay a top class manager. And the more people that support the EL, the more money for the FAI.
It is not a stupid argument at all.
All I am saying is more can be done!

Edited by GerKeano - 25 Oct 2007 at 11:02am
Prendy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 11:03am

Agree with Ernesto - we should def not turn into w**kers booing the team and acting up in other countries on our travels.  Unfortunately, there are a few lads definitely going to away games for the experience, who are pretty clueless - Paris for example pissed me off around the pubs before and after - people were not even bothered about the result just saying how great the singing of the french anthem was by the irish. FFS - we got a draw in paris and should have won - defintely a lot of day tripper bandwagon hoppers there.

In prague i was most proud of the fans after the game.  The banter at times with the czech fans during the heated atmosphere of the  game(Huntys gonna get ya) almost turned a bit ugly at times - i was right next to the fence.  But at the end we all applauded the czechs and their fans which showed a bit of class in my opnion

We know how to conduct ourselves really well generally, which i think is why we get such a good following on aways esp.  no hassle, a good craic, and we all have a good time and behave well - this appeals to people who want to visit these cities (Prague, Paris, etc. ) where the football provides an excuse.  I heard of lads who went to Brats who fcuked off at hlaf time to go to check out the brasses - not really that interested in the football are they?
ernesto guevara View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2007 at 11:12am
good man prendy, just because i dont want to be running riots around citys in europe dosnt mean that i want our country to succed.I want Ireland to win every game we play and when we dont it hurts so bad i just want to get home, leave the fighting and the actin the b*ll*x to the brits,i never want my country to be linked or likened to them c**ts
If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
kiecarew View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 4:16am
i agree wit ya that theres an englishness creepin in ernesto. i hate that "who are ya!" chant and singin "get yer tits out!" to passing birds makes us look like a bunch of yobs.
i'm the boss! i'm the gaffer!
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 4:27am
Could'nt agree more iv thought this for a long time at ireland games... But its not just the fans who are becoming more like the brits.... The media are the main culprits... papers like the sun made very very personal attacks on stan that were out of order.
billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 11:17am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

In my opinion it was a show of defiance to the Czechs, it was a show that we acknowledged the lads had given their all (and they had in fairness), it was a show that despite our rubbish management set up, we still were here to make ourselves heard and behave properly and be ambassadors for Ireland.

Nothing to do with the 15 pints before the gameLOLLOLLOL

Home support is completely different to Away support and cannot be compared. No bandwagoners,no freebies,no corporate etc etc etc and we're all on holidays too. If it was for the football alone we'd be all doing day trips.
Home support/atmosphere is $hite bar one/two exceptions. Its the rest of the muppets that annoy me at home games with their Orish wave,corporate tickets, tickets won in a raffle, brass bands,garda bands etc etc etc etc and who  result

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
Cuddly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 1:01pm
To be honest, i have been very disappointed recently in the way fans have been supporting the team. The last 2 home matches i can't remember The fields of Athenry being sung once, i tried to start it a few times without much response. There was an eight year old wee girl at the Canal end during the Cyprus match that should put us all to shame. She was relentless in her support throughout the entire match. Her father was mortified but everybody else found it amusing if not misplaced.
The support at home is very poor, and i have noticed it cropping up at away matches as well. A lot of lads around me never sung up once during the 2 away fixtures, with the exception of "Hunty's going to get you".

A disturbing element (young 20 somethings) is also creeping into the support. A couple of fights broke out during the San Marino fixture, and no they weren't wearing Celtic tops.

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2007 at 1:13pm
Ye Cuddy. And the One Road never gets sang inside the stadium. Gair enough, it was sang in Prague AFTER the game. AFTER a defeat
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic