FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtmosphere

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atmosphere
    Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 5:58pm
Just a few thoughts from myself on the night of our last home game of  this campagne.
I was over at the Germany game at the weekend and i was so disappointed with the atmosphere. Admittely, it was hard to get too excited for that game given the fact we had nothing to play for, but it was pretty much the same for the Wales and Slovakia games back in March when we were still in contention. Dont even get me started on the mexican wave, what a f**king joke.
I watched the England - Russia game this evening and from a neutral point of view, i really enjoyed it. Obviously i was only watching it on TV but the atmosphere sounded phenomenal throughout the match and this no doubt unnerved England. You could see thier heads drop when they went a goal down.
Why cant the Irish fans create an atmophere like this? I remember when the papers used to describe the fans at Landsdowne Road as being 'the twelth man' and teams used to genuinely find playing in Dublin an intimdating experience. I had to make do with watching the games against Portugal and Holland in the 2002 WC qualifiers on TV but i could tell the crowd really made thier voices heard those days and this could only have encouraged our team.
Those days seemed a lifetime away tonight with all the empty seats and lack of noise.
Hopefully we'll have a new manager for the World Cup qualifiers and us Irish fans need to play our part and raise our voices to make Dublin a really difficult place for away teams to come to, just like it once was.
"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
Sponsored Links

billybob View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 6:17pm
When we have something to play for we are second to none!!!

And Croke park hasn't helped.....every bandwagoner is on board.
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel
TheManInTheHat View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 6:20pm
As someone posted on Dangerhere.com a while back, Irish people are not sports fans, they're event junkies. As others have said elsewhere here in the last few days, a lot of people on saturday were more concerned with the how the English meathead rugby players were getting on than what was taking place in front of them. They have the mentality that they are there to be entertained rather than actually getting behind the team and supporting them.

The games in 2001 against Portugal and especially Holland, after Kelly was sent of, were the high-water marks for atmosphere at a home game. The game against the czechs at Lansdowne last year had a decent atmosphere considering the disaster of the cyprus game the previous saturday.

Not sure what can be done to be honest. Sometimes I think you get the team you deserve.
And your travelling army of synthetic supporters
Would be taken away from you and thrown in the bin
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2007 at 6:58pm
Billybob's summed it up fairly well, Irish fans at their best when there's something to play for and that hasn't happened really in this campaign, though it seemed to me the atmosphere was a bit flat 2 years ago when the key WC games with France and the Swiss were played in Lansdowne.  That said there was a bit of discontent between fans and players at that stage in the Kerr era.  Very relevant point above though regarding event junkies.

Edited by FREEWHEELER - 17 Oct 2007 at 6:58pm
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 1:31am
the team create the atmosphere , not the fans
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 4:13am
Croke park is muck for atmosphere, as its a completely different crowd that go there.Lots of one-offs, freebies, rugby fans, normal fans, + lots and lots of ars*holes!There is no comparrisment to an away game crowd and the shower that go to croke park!

HAve been at games all ov er the world and its the fans that create the atmosphere, whether the team is winning or losing (in fairness though it is hard to get exited or up for it for anything over the last few games!). As discussed before the only way to create this is to get like minded people in specific areas of the stadium who want to sing, chant, jump etc. (sure look at those muppets in the canal end who get the poxy wave going all the time, its because like minded people are in the same area!)

Edited by The Count - 18 Oct 2007 at 4:17am
Cookie Monster View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 5:20pm
Bang on lads. The amount of t**sers that go to these games in Croker just because its the in thing this year is sickening. I saw loads of lads there agaianst Germany last saturday night that came in Shirts and Jumpers with not a trace of a Jersey or anything green to be seen. The game wasnt goin to interfere with their saturday night, it was just a sideshow to their nights entertainment later on. I've been at 10 of the eleven games so far in this campaign and its been the worst one yet for both the football and the atmosphere, especially at home where the atmosphere was concerned. I reckon we should vote with our wallets and not buy the tickets for the Brazil and Italy friendlies. Hit the FAI in the only way that will make them take notice. fookin robbers and word breakers. I was that pissed off last night I didnt even go for a jar after the game and headed straight for the train
I used to be a schizophrenic.......and so was I
Percy View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 5:23pm
theres more atmosphere to be had on the bonnet of the starship enterprise than there is in croker
MERRY CHRISTMAS

@IrishPercy
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 5:41pm
Agreed on Croker, it's a magnificent venue but we're way too far away from the pitch for an atmosphere to be created and the Soccer pitch is just lost on that huge Ga pitch.  Let's hope the new Lansdowne has us right close to the pitch like a Celtic Park or other stadia similar.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
The_Yank View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2007 at 6:28pm
As a huge GAA fan I love Croker but agree the pitch is too large for the FAI... however, if the team was doing well and the crowd was behind them, I don't think there would be a problem at all.  80K strong green army can raise its voice in any venue. 
UCD Physios ...We feel you up when you're feeling down
oohahhpaulmcgra View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2007 at 10:52am

80k Green army im ont sure about that most are kids ,daytrippers and rugby fans and we  all know of the leinster hush. the sooner we move back the better

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic