FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fan Protest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fan Protest
    Posted: 05 May 2024 at 1:09pm
There'll probably be a poor enough attendance at the Hungary game anyway mainly down to apathy and disillusionment (ie Tueday night friendly, still no permanent manager, no tournament to look forward to going to, a conservative interim manager who'll have the team playing crap if the March games are anything to go by etc). Even that alone should give the FAI a message that they've made an absolute b*llix of things.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Sponsored Links

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

If, come September, we're starting a new campaign with no new manager appointed, you might have a case for some form of protest but I can't see or think that should happen for the June friendlies.

Exactly. 

No manager v England and we riot
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 10:33am
If, come September, we're starting a new campaign with no new manager appointed, you might have a case for some form of protest but I can't see or think that should happen for the June friendlies.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 10:25am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Can we have a list of bullet points as to what the protest would be against.

I wouldn't be in favour of a protest just because they have fudged the hiring of a new manager.

This would be helpful
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Razors left peg Razors left peg wrote:

Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

Absolutely not.

No interest? Happy with Status Quo? FAI are great bunch of lads and we shouldn't complain? We continue with the usual Irish thing of a shrug of the shoulders and accept what we are given? 

Care to expand on absolutely not?

I don't know what fans should do exactly but I was hoping we could at least have a discussion about not putting up with the FAI continuing to be completely incompetent. The manager thing is the tip of the iceberg but a major symptom of their failings. I'd like to think the fans have some power here to make change

You need something solid to hook a protest on. What exactly do you want to protest here?

By protesting against a series of minor issues you take away from the impact of the bigger issues when you should protest. 
Hill is gone. Manager situation a joke but worthy of a protest at the end of a season. Not a hope.

It's the end of the season. Interest naturally wanes. 

As has been said above, we are dealing with a lot of legacy issues here.  

greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 9:56am
Originally posted by liongard822 liongard822 wrote:

Well screwing up the International Men's Manager appointment is quite a large public thing. I don't think any fan base would be happy with this. But it's the tip of the iceberg.  

Who can be happy with the direction of the FAI. The incompetence or the corruption of it. The Egos involved. The lack of finance generated.  Does our Director of Football even have the skill set or the communication skills?

Then the lessening standards of our senior players. How many minutes are our players playing in the top leagues. Compared to say, the start of the millennium. 

Our youth set up, why is it not baring fruit? Or are we back to hunting players who are Irish from other countries set ups alone?

The LOI, it thrives thanks to the clubs and the volunteers. The FAI has done nothing for it. Can the standards be raised to help player standards and Academy levels. Or do we leave it to be almost a separate entity entirely. 

These are the questions that need to be asked. Especially when other countries our size can compete at all levels too.
Shouldn't all these issues be raised at the AGM by representatives off this forum, I honestly don't think a protest as such is the way to get the questions answered. Fair enough they will get the feeling of unrest from the fans but there's no real direct indication as to what these issues. 
Just because people felt the tennis ball incident worked it's not to say it's the way it should be at the drop of a hat.....
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 9:51am
Have put in comments to your points:

Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

Are a lot of the current problems not legacy of the Delaney era?

Yes and no. It is easy to blame one individual and his supporters. There are many deeper routed issues with Irish football, mainly cultural that are of significance that pre date Delaney and remain problematic. 

The Hill thing was a shambles but he is gone.

True, but there has been a further loss of credibility during this process

Waiting for the right candidate for the manager is the right thing to do. Even if not ideal. 

It is at this point, but we never should have reached this point. The proccesss has however,  destroyed Canham's credibility. This means his reform plan is pretty much dead as he can no longer be taken seriously or trusted. The wider impact, is that Government can't give the FAI additional funding (our money as taxpayers) as the adequate assurances can't be provided that this money would be spent effectively. 

The only thing they should have done was perhaps keep Kenny until the right replacement was available, but basically everyone was calling for Kenny's head. So what can you do. 

They could have done a lot of things differently and letting Stephen Kenny go sooner rather than keeping him longer would have been one of them. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 2:20am
The blacked out email at the Oireachtas committee meeting was appalling but yet they want government hand outs
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 10:29pm
Are a lot of the current problems not legacy of the Delaney era?

The Hill thing was a shambles but he is gone.

Waiting for the right candidate for the manager is the right thing to do. Even if not ideal. 

The only thing they should have done was perhaps keep Kenny until the right replacement was available, but basically everyone was calling for Kenny's head. So what can you do. 
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 9:28pm
The apathy is also down to the fact that we haven't had a consistent top level footballer that would get fans on board in god knows how many years. I just assume O'Mahony will go nowhere, like all our other players for what seems like a long time, so that's why there was zero excitement about his start the other night. I would imagine others feel the same. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Razors left peg Razors left peg wrote:

Absolutely not.

No interest? Happy with Status Quo? FAI are great bunch of lads and we shouldn't complain? We continue with the usual Irish thing of a shrug of the shoulders and accept what we are given? 

I don't know what fans should do exactly but I was hoping we could at least have a discussion about not putting up with the FAI continuing to be completely incompetent. The manager thing is the tip of the iceberg but a major symptom of their failings. I'd like to think the fans have some power here to make change

That could be 20 minutes early for him
Razors left peg View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Razors left peg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 8:29pm

Absolutely not.

Dont argue with stupid people, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 7:42pm
Great post. My interest levels in the national team have ebbed and flowed a little bit historically, but I've never felt so apathetic towards it than I do now. Used to always be checking the scores to see how the Irish lads are getting on. Now I'll just pop on here occasionally and check a few threads hoping for the latest news, no interest in investing any more time than that. I began to get fed up when Kenny wasn't sacked soon enough, but the clown show that's taken place since has been beyond uninspiring.

Edited by SeaSharp - 04 May 2024 at 7:44pm
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 7:36pm
Absolutely not.

belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 2:06pm
Stay out for the first 8 minutes of the game to represent how many months they've been trying to hire a capable manager
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 11:55am
I'd be more in favour of marching on the government to invest more in sport. 
I know the FAI still need to come up with a better plan. There are conversations about maybe reviewing the academy level, they need to happen at an accelerated level with the highest priority. If they don't put a good plan together for making a case for funding so we overcome the fallout of Brexit impact on our top youngsters, then I'd be up for protesting against that. Or protesting against government for not backing it.

I think failures within FAI or briefs given to certain people, that is something for the board and management and to handle 
liongard822 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liongard822 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 11:05am
Well screwing up the International Men's Manager appointment is quite a large public thing. I don't think any fan base would be happy with this. But it's the tip of the iceberg.  

Who can be happy with the direction of the FAI. The incompetence or the corruption of it. The Egos involved. The lack of finance generated.  Does our Director of Football even have the skill set or the communication skills?

Then the lessening standards of our senior players. How many minutes are our players playing in the top leagues. Compared to say, the start of the millennium. 

Our youth set up, why is it not baring fruit? Or are we back to hunting players who are Irish from other countries set ups alone?

The LOI, it thrives thanks to the clubs and the volunteers. The FAI has done nothing for it. Can the standards be raised to help player standards and Academy levels. Or do we leave it to be almost a separate entity entirely. 

These are the questions that need to be asked. Especially when other countries our size can compete at all levels too.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 10:34am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Can we have a list of bullet points as to what the protest would be against.

I wouldn't be in favour of a protest just because they have fudged the hiring of a new manager.

Same. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic