You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

List of candidates for the job

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:25am
Why Carsley? That's how football is going now. Young and inexperienced managers with good coaching reputations are getting big jobs without a CV to match. That's why Mark Hughes is now managing in League Two, while young coaches like Arteta, Carrick, McKenna and Eustace are landing big jobs with zero managerial experience.

If Carsely has a good coaching reputation and is highly thought of by those in the game, he's an option.

Carsley has mainly worked with young players at Coventry, Brentford, City and various England age groups. He's been an assistant manager at various clubs, as well as a caretaker manager.

I don't think he'd be a bad idea at all. We have young players he can work with, and more to come from our U21, U19 and U17 teams. He's obviously a former Ireland international as well.

Edited by Banana_RepublicFC - 21 Jun 2023 at 10:26am
Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:26am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It will likely be Duff I think or something more left field. I wouldn't mind a coach without an Irish connection coming in after Kenny but I would like someone who is mostly based out of Ireland as part of the day to day job description, getting to LOI and being close to the underage set up and coaches there. Considering a lot of the youngsters will stay with LOI longer I and what the FAI wants to achieve with the long term plans, I think that will be important.

Will it fook be Duff
I love beer gardens
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:29am
kennys time in charge should have taught us all one thing. our next manager cannot "develop" the players if they arent playing at club level. carsley is by all accounts a good coach but its no good having a team half filled with lads who are subs weekly. he cant improve them over 10 days in camp.
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Yeah, I think one of selling points of carsely is his work with younger players, which Ireland has a lot of in the senior set up. He's not walking into the dressing room post Martin O'Neill era.

Having sad that, his lack of senior management on his CV doesn't help his cause. 

Would you want Anthony Barry as manager? Great CV. Senior Management though.. At this point with Ireland, any appointment has its risks regardless of how risk adverse it may appear.

Someone will offer Barry a good opportunity eventually. He's probably had offers, but seems happy to still be an assistant/coach. He's building up experience at big clubs and nations.

Look at how Ipswich brought in McKenna from United, and now they're back in The Championship after less than 2 years under him. They obviously have a strong squad, but he achieved what others failed to do.

Barry will likely get a good Championship opportunity down the line when he's ready.
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 7:12pm
I think Duff will likely manage Ireland eventually but it is way too early now. He probably needs to achieve something with Shelbourne - cup win, qualify for Europe etc.

I'd be happy enough with Carsley as our next manager. He seems like one of the better options. Young enough modern coach, has worked with young players and had a career mainly working/playing with players of a similar calibre to ourselves. 
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 7:38pm
Could Carsley swing a few dual eligible players in our favour?
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

It will likely be Duff I think or something more left field. I wouldn't mind a coach without an Irish connection coming in after Kenny but I would like someone who is mostly based out of Ireland as part of the day to day job description, getting to LOI and being close to the underage set up and coaches there. Considering a lot of the youngsters will stay with LOI longer I and what the FAI wants to achieve with the long term plans, I think that will be important.

Will it fook be Duff

Would stick around for about as long as big Sam lasted in the England job. šŸ¤£

At least we wouldnā€™t have to pay him off to get rid of him
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Could Carsley swing a few dual eligible players in our favour?

Tom Cannon for starters? 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I think Duff will likely manage Ireland eventually but it is way too early now. He probably needs to achieve something with Shelbourne - cup win, qualify for Europe etc.

I'd be happy enough with Carsley as our next manager. He seems like one of the better options. Young enough modern coach, has worked with young players and had a career mainly working/playing with players of a similar calibre to ourselves. 

Could win the Leinster Senior Cup this year
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 11:22am

Reading Champagne football here.

Was it you who posted in 2016 ā€œIā€™d love to see Chris Hughton in charge. And for John Delaney to be shotā€. LOL
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Yeah, I think one of selling points of carsely is his work with younger players, which Ireland has a lot of in the senior set up. He's not walking into the dressing room post Martin O'Neill era.

Having sad that, his lack of senior management on his CV doesn't help his cause. 

Would you want Anthony Barry as manager? Great CV. Senior Management though.. At this point with Ireland, any appointment has its risks regardless of how risk adverse it may appear.

Someone will offer Barry a good opportunity eventually. He's probably had offers, but seems happy to still be an assistant/coach. He's building up experience at big clubs and nations.

Look at how Ipswich brought in McKenna from United, and now they're back in The Championship after less than 2 years under him. They obviously have a strong squad, but he achieved what others failed to do.

Barry will likely get a good Championship opportunity down the line when he's ready.

Leicester appointed some coach from Man City as well, whom I'd never heard of. The coach is the flavour of the month in football. 

Before Christmas there was some rumours about Carsley and the Ireland job. I didn't pay much attention to it. Has anyone anymore insight into it? 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

Originally posted by Banana_RepublicFC Banana_RepublicFC wrote:

Leicester appointed some coach from Man City as well, whom I'd never heard of. The coach is the flavour of the month in football. 

Before Christmas there was some rumours about Carsley and the Ireland job. I didn't pay much attention to it. Has anyone anymore insight into it? 

You haven't heard of Enzo Maresca? He was a key player for the original UEFA Cup winning Sevilla teams.

That's a bit of a risky appointment, for me. He failed at Parma. It wasn't a long stint though tbf.

Pep's other assistant, Lillo, left for Al Sadd last summer. He is rumoured to be returning to City after just one season over there. 3rd wasn't good enough.

Sometimes a good #2 isn't managerial material. Carlos Queiroz never did much as a manager. He was the Brian Kerr of Portuguese youth football in the 90's. But failed to win things with Real Madrid, Portugal and Egypt at senior level.
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 5:38pm
I'm a bit baffled by the clamour for us to appoint Carsley.

Here's a summary of his coaching/managerial career.
2011 - Coventry U18 coach
2012 - Some matches as caretaker manager at Coventry
2013 - Sheff Utd assistant manager - sacked along with David Weir after only getting 1 win in first 13 matches
2014 - Development squad manager at Brentford - finished 3rd from bottom but get promoted to 1st team head coach. Wins manager of the month but moves on in Dec 2015
2015 - Appointed to England u19 role.
2016 - Man City U18 manager. Team won the Professional U18 North Division
2017 - Birmingham City Head Develeopment coach - gets caretaker job of 1st team when Harry redknapp is sacked.  Was assistant manager to Steve Cotterill before being sacked with him 6 months later
2020 England U20 head coach
2021 - Head coach of England U21 team

IMO humble opinion, he'd be the most unqualified man ever to get the job! Is there another international manager around today who's in the job with as little experience as this?
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

2013 - Sheff Utd assistant manager - sacked along with David Weir after only getting 1 win in first 13 matches
2014 - Development squad manager at Brentford - finished 3rd from bottom but get promoted to 1st team head coach. Wins manager of the month but moves on in Dec 2015
2017 - Birmingham City Head Develeopment coach - gets caretaker job of 1st team when Harry redknapp is sacked.  Was assistant manager to Steve Cotterill before being sacked with him 6 months later

IMO humble opinion, he'd be the most unqualified man ever to get the job! Is there another international manager around today who's in the job with as little experience as this?

Are you being ironic? šŸ™ˆLOLLOL

Edited by Fitz - 24 Jun 2023 at 3:22pm
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Fitz Fitz wrote:

Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

Are you being ironic? šŸ™ˆLOLLOL

Stan was famously overly qualified 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 121314
  Share Topic