You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mikey Johnston

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 3:36pm
Maybe the manager is the main variable in all this?  
Sponsored Links

Celticbhoy32 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celticbhoy32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 3:44pm
remember though during Johnston's stint at Celtic he had three managers. Lennon, Postecoglou, Rodgers. None of them fancied him. His loan in Portugal was also a mixed bag. I think my other post was pretty clear? Johnston didn't do it at Celtic, he got ample opportunities. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Celticbhoy32 Celticbhoy32 wrote:

remember though during Johnston's stint at Celtic he had three managers. Lennon, Postecoglou, Rodgers. None of them fancied him. His loan in Portugal was also a mixed bag. I think my other post was pretty clear? Johnston didn't do it at Celtic, he got ample opportunities. 

Except he demonstrably didn't get ample opportunities. The most football Johnston ever played for Celtic in the SPL was the 2018/19 season where he played 520 minutes of football (just under 6 full games). He managed 3 goals in that time, it still wasn't enough to earn him more of an opportunity...
We're decent enough..
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celticbhoy32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 4:05pm
At what point do you stop giving a player game time when he's being ineffective in games? As I said three managers have watched him and thought nah. He's hit some form for Westbrom and it's great, long may it continue. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

So what have we learned? 

He's performing better in a superior league. Is he purely a confidence player? A month of sh!te performances and he reverts to Celtic form? 

Or something fundamentally not suited to him at Celtic?

He has a lot more freedom playing for WBA.

At Celtic, the opposition would have 10 behind the ball at all times and he would have very little space.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 4:19pm
The pitches in Scotland are sh*te as well. Wouldn't help him.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 4:27pm
He's played his way into our starting XI based on form. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 5:05pm

At what point do you stop giving a player game time when he's being ineffective in games? As I said three managers have watched him and thought nah. He's hit some form for Westbrom and it's great, long may it continue. 

25 G/A in the equivalent of 42 games is ineffective? 
We're decent enough..
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celticbhoy32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Where's the. 42 coming from, he's played 92 games for Celtic
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2024 at 5:51pm

Where's the. 42 coming from, he's played 92 games for Celtic

92 appearances, he's played the equivalent of 42 full games. Even if it were 92 games, 25 G/A in 92 would hardly be egregious anyway.
We're decent enough..
Fitz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 10:09pm

Agreed. He never had enough to justify him being a regular starter prior to him going to Portugal (despite what that other f**king eejit says). His final-product was lacking and there were better players ahead of him in that era. However, I think Rodgers was wrong to let him go on loan this time because he was playing pretty well and was definitively an asset. Hasty by the manager, IMHO, we could have done with Mikey recently. Happy to see him doing well though. 

Edited by Fitz - 14 Mar 2024 at 10:09pm
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2024 at 1:50am

Except he demonstrably didn't get ample opportunities. The most football Johnston ever played for Celtic in the SPL was the 2018/19 season where he played 520 minutes of football (just under 6 full games). He managed 3 goals in that time, it still wasn't enough to earn him more of an opportunity...

this is leaving out the post split games
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 202122
  Share Topic