You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

France Away - 7th September

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404142
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 12:24am
Most of the Parisians were friendly. Some are chancers, e.g. taxi men. Multiple French fans approached us for photos (we were wearing Irish gear). 

The city is overrated. 

I really enjoyed the trip but would have preferred if the match was played somewhere other than Paris. 

Parc de Princes is better for a match of this size than the Stade de France. 

Additional after edits:

The large congregation of fans outside Corcoran's was good craic. Some stuff was unnecessary, e.g. opening a car's boot. But in general the French seemed to be enjoying our celebratory behaviour and the French police also. 

We were in 2 tiers - were all of our tickets €65?

Whether you had a return metro ticket after the match pre purchased or not, it was a health and safety hazard to make people queue up for the 1 machine to buy a ticket, causing a back flow of people and worsening the crowd. In that heat, the 15 min queue underground to check a €2 ticket was not welcome. 

The Argentina and Messi songs were a bit OTT, but were in response to the French crowds having a go at us for not participating in the Mexican wave. We were 2-0 down away from home in a competitive football match - why would our fans want to do a Mexican wave?

Edited by xRedmanLFCx - 11 Sep 2023 at 12:40am
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Sponsored Links

xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 12:45am
Originally posted by gmfc90<b> gmfc90 wrote:

Getting the Eurostar over. Disappointed when I found out you can't see the fish when you're underwater.
Will be glad that I am not staying in the Montmartre/Pigalle area. Full of nasty pickpockets

LOL
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Mr Stupid View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Stupid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2023 at 9:16pm
Enjoyed this trip bar the obvious. I think Parc des Princes was the main reason. Stade de France is sh*te. Paris definitely one of the best cities in the world. Got told to sit down by a few auld lads, first time that’s happened me at an away. I don’t really mind as everyone is entitled to see the match. Only complaint would be that they never sang one song or clapped or cheered. I suppose everybody can do what they like. 
Stupid like a fox
TheFieldsOfAthenry View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheFieldsOfAthenry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Mr Stupid Mr Stupid wrote:

Enjoyed this trip bar the obvious. I think Parc des Princes was the main reason. Stade de France is sh*te. Paris definitely one of the best cities in the world. Got told to sit down by a few auld lads, first time that’s happened me at an away. I don’t really mind as everyone is entitled to see the match. Only complaint would be that they never sang one song or clapped or cheered. I suppose everybody can do what they like. 

Noticed an awful lot more sitting than usual. We all like think we'll be jumping up and down the older we get but I suppose there are older folk and people who struggle to stand for hours who still want to go away and watch their team play so we should be more understanding of that but if you arrive in late and are down the back and are expecting people to sit you're mad. Most of the people I saw sitting were in front of me so it didn't bother me. The amount of fights around me over seats though was crazy. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 404142
  Share Topic