You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Civil War - Who was right?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who was right?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [50.00%]
6 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Civil War - Who was right?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:28am
A rarely discussed topic.  Whose side would you have been on for the Civil War?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:38am

Martin O'Neills book radicalised me into an anti Northern hardcore Free State partitionist. Mick for me please Thumbs Up
El Puto Amo
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:44am
The Pro Treaty side killing Irish people with British guns. 

The Brits copper-fastening their belief that the Irish are f**king stupid.

I read a comment before saying the Irish will always accept a British lie wrapped in a pound note.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:45am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Martin O'Neills book radicalised me into an anti Northern hardcore Free State partitionist. Mick for me please Thumbs Up

The civil war was not about partition. 

It centred around the oath and dominion status.

No side favoured partition.

It was assumed by all sides that the boundary commission would shift the border.

When they started the bc they discovered that a huge chunk of East Donegal around Finn Valley wanted to join NI

So the findings were scrapped 

Mick or Dev? I don't know.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 2:04pm
Connolly 
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 3:11pm
Dev knew coming back from London what was achievable in the upcoming negotiations. Everything that came after his meetings with George had already been predetermined. Mick was sent to take the fall, Dev was far too cute to snare himself in that trap.

Given the sheer numbers of weapons the uvf had at their disposal the free state would likely have lost Donegal and possibly a number of other border counties in a conflict. Then there's the huge numbers of civilian deaths that would have occurred... possibly reflecting 1798 levels of fatalities. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 23 Nov 2022 at 3:17pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Connolly 
Agreed 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Dev knew coming back from London what was achievable in the upcoming negotiations. Everything that came after his meetings with George had already been predetermined. Mick was sent to take the fall, Dev was far too cute to snare himself in that trap.

Given the sheer numbers of weapons the uvf had at their disposal the free state would likely have lost Donegal and possibly a number of other border counties in a conflict. Then there's the huge numbers of civilian deaths that would have occurred... possibly reflecting 1798 levels of fatalities. 

They were offered the 9 counties. But only took 6 as they held the majority in the 6.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

They were offered the 9 counties. But only took 6 as they held the majority in the 6.

That doesn't mean the counties would have stayed that way had the unionists forcibly taken control in a subsequent armed conflict. Ethnic cleansing would most certainly have occurred as it did 40 odd years later.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic