You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tom Cannon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 535455
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

I'm sure most of us don't just support Ireland, we support our club teams as well. But my support for Ireland is very different from my support for my club. I couldn't care less about the national backgrounds of the club players. But I want the Ireland team to actually reflect something about our country. So I want the players to have a sincere prior connection with Ireland, in whatever form that takes, if at all possible.

I'd imagine you'll be devastated by Finn Azaz playing for us given his background then. It's hard to believe that in this day and age we're still wrestling with all of this blood purity sh*te when it comes to our national team, but then again there always has been a weird amount of derision towards the diaspora.
Why would I be devastated? The lad is English born of both Irish and Israeli heritage. It seems he has the choice of 3 nations. If he has a sense of Irishness as part of his mixed heritage, welcome aboard!

And what if that sense of Irishness came with a strong sense of also being Israeli - would that pass your "purity of the soul" check, seeing as our players apparently are only legitimate Irishmen if they represent all of your own views on Irishnes?
The only requirement is that they pass their own sense of Irishness, not mine. I have German, Italian and English heritage. But I'm Irish.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 5:20pm

I'm sure most of us don't just support Ireland, we support our club teams as well. But my support for Ireland is very different from my support for my club. I couldn't care less about the national backgrounds of the club players. But I want the Ireland team to actually reflect something about our country. So I want the players to have a sincere prior connection with Ireland, in whatever form that takes, if at all possible.

I'd imagine you'll be devastated by Finn Azaz playing for us given his background then. It's hard to believe that in this day and age we're still wrestling with all of this blood purity sh*te when it comes to our national team, but then again there always has been a weird amount of derision towards the diaspora.
Why would I be devastated? The lad is English born of both Irish and Israeli heritage. It seems he has the choice of 3 nations. If he has a sense of Irishness as part of his mixed heritage, welcome aboard!

And what if that sense of Irishness came with a strong sense of also being Israeli - would that pass your "purity of the soul" check, seeing as our players apparently are only legitimate Irishmen if they represent all of your own views on Irishnes?
The only requirement is that they pass their own sense of Irishness, not mine. I have German, Italian and English heritage. But I'm Irish.

So then who are you to say that all of those you deride don't posssess their "own sense of Irishness", if that really is all it requires? 
We're decent enough..
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 6:00pm

So then who are you to say that all of those you deride don't posssess their "own sense of Irishness", if that really is all it requires? 
I haven't derided anyone. If a player has his own sense of being Irish, regardless of his place of birth, then I'm happy for him to represent Ireland. Its those who chose to play for us purely to advance their own careers I would have a problem with.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2024 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Wasn't there a bit of an issue before with the under age teams whereby the English lads were preferred over home grown Irish players to try and prevent them from switching.

Noel King.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 2:11pm
Another goal today, he'll hit a hot streak and take time to "concentrate on his club career" Confused

Edited by Mr. Snrub - 06 Jan 2024 at 2:11pm
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2024 at 3:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 535455
  Share Topic