You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trans World Sport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans World Sport
    Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 9:28pm
I'm all for LGBTQ rights and respect for others but looking for male born trans women to be allowed play competitive pro sports against female born women is ridiculous imo.  The Olympics would be an absolute farce. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:30am

I enjoyed watching this 
It would damage this forums' reputation
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I'm all for LGBTQ rights and respect for others but looking for male born trans women to be allowed play competitive pro sports against female born women is ridiculous imo.  The Olympics would be an absolute farce. 

If you're for their rights, well this is the kind of thing you're going to have to put up with. That's what they want to do, and nobody will be allowed to stop them, for fear of the usual backlash. Media criticism, ticket holders refusing to show up, protests, rants to Joe Duffy from angry of Athenry and outraged of Oughterard, funding withdrawn, sponsors quitting etc etc. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

If you're for their rights, well this is the kind of thing you're going to have to put up with. That's what they want to do, and nobody will be allowed to stop them, for fear of the usual backlash. Media criticism, ticket holders refusing to show up, protests, rants to Joe Duffy from angry of Athenry and outraged of Oughterard, funding withdrawn, sponsors quitting etc etc. 

Fair enough but you will have male born women smashing power serves past your average female player and stroll to Wimbledon tennis titles or you could have some male born sprinter who decides to be a woman and win the 100m sprints at the Olympics.

I dont call that equality.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 3:48pm

Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Fair enough but you will have male born women smashing power serves past your average female player and stroll to Wimbledon tennis titles or you could have some male born sprinter who decides to be a woman and win the 100m sprints at the Olympics.

Ah come on now Eamon, that's out of order.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 4:45pm
It is a farce, they shouldn't be allowed to compete and should look long term in creating their own sporting events.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
jamo1 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 5:33pm
Pretty sure there is a ufc fighter that competes in the women's division that's trans. Unsurprisingly she won a belt and was unbeaten for ages. 
Del Boy: You do know what a pyscopath is dont you Grandad

Grandad: Of course i know what a Pyscopath is, its a fella who dresses up in womens clothes.

counterlock View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote counterlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Pretty sure there is a ufc fighter that competes in the women's division that's trans. Unsurprisingly she won a belt and was unbeaten for ages. 

You are probably thinking of Fallon Fox, never fought in the UFC and any commission worth their salt wouldn't sanction a fight. Her one loss is to a notorious PED cheat
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by jamo1 jamo1 wrote:

Good career path for mcgregor maybe.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 10:50am
Glad to see the pages of ybig showing nuance and welcoming to all comers as per usual Clap

Blanket bans are really blunt instruments and I think sporting bodies will regret them. Considering the numbers involved, case-by-case would be much fairer and not all that arduous a way of deciding whether trans people should be allowed compete at the highest level. 

The fact there are comments here about "deciding to run the 100m women's" and the like shows yous have little to zero understanding of trans people's experiences. 

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 11:54am
It's about genetics and DNA.

Men are genetically stronger than women, so when a 'male\transgender woman' competes an a woman event they are at a much more significant advantage, ultimately a completely unfair advantage.

Their testosterone levels are completely different too. 

Which is why I think they should be looking to create their own sporting organisation. 

Would it be fair if Usain Bolt just stuck a wig on and went 'oh I'm a lady now' and went to Paris 24 and won about 10 gold medals. 

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 12:28pm
Again, people transitioning aren't putting on wigs and deciding things on a whim. It's not a flippant thing and pretending like it is doesn't help anyone. Someone who finishes 10th in the 100m men's event isn't going to wake up and "decide" to become a woman in a naked attempt to win gold medals. And if they did, don't let them compete - that's why I'm saying case-by-case. 

I'm not saying let all trans people compete at whatever level they want regardless, I'm saying there is a tiny percentage of people this impacts and a blanket ban is too blunt an instrument in the grand scheme. It bans people like Caster Semenya who was vilified as someone born as a woman for having naturally higher testosterone. Do you think how she was treated was fair? 

If there was a critical mass of trans people that could compete in their own category at the highest level then great, but the reality is that's not the case. There are 2 trans women rugby players in Ireland impacted by the IRFU's recent announcement. What are they supposed to do if they want to play rugby? Start their own league? Are their 30 trans women playing rugby in Ireland today to even field two teams? 

Fwiw, there are studies that show long distance runners having slower times after their transition and running as trans women. So not everything is as simple as "man = stronger DNA = unfair advantage". There are nuances to all of this. I heard a trans academic on the Second Captains podcast recently on this. I didn't agree with all of her comments but it was interesting to hear her POV. I thought she was pretty fair in what advantages and disadvantages trans people can have in these events. I've also read a lot of Ross Tucker over the years who I think has become more entrenched in his views but still articulates the science fairly and clearly in a way that you can take it away and think about it yourself rather than dictating too much. 

And again, I'd ask if people could try not be flippant with their comments. I realise it's a complicated subject so tensions can run high but I know a few trans people (none of whom are sporty at all) and it's really not as simple or easy as some of these comments are making it out to be. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Again, people transitioning aren't putting on wigs and deciding things on a whim. It's not a flippant thing and pretending like it is doesn't help anyone. Someone who finishes 10th in the 100m men's event isn't going to wake up and "decide" to become a woman in a naked attempt to win gold medals. And if they did, don't let them compete - that's why I'm saying case-by-case. 

I'm not saying let all trans people compete at whatever level they want regardless, I'm saying there is a tiny percentage of people this impacts and a blanket ban is too blunt an instrument in the grand scheme. It bans people like Caster Semenya who was vilified as someone born as a woman for having naturally higher testosterone. Do you think how she was treated was fair? 

If there was a critical mass of trans people that could compete in their own category at the highest level then great, but the reality is that's not the case. There are 2 trans women rugby players in Ireland impacted by the IRFU's recent announcement. What are they supposed to do if they want to play rugby? Start their own league? Are their 30 trans women playing rugby in Ireland today to even field two teams? 

Fwiw, there are studies that show long distance runners having slower times after their transition and running as trans women. So not everything is as simple as "man = stronger DNA = unfair advantage". There are nuances to all of this. I heard a trans academic on the Second Captains podcast recently on this. I didn't agree with all of her comments but it was interesting to hear her POV. I thought she was pretty fair in what advantages and disadvantages trans people can have in these events. I've also read a lot of Ross Tucker over the years who I think has become more entrenched in his views but still articulates the science fairly and clearly in a way that you can take it away and think about it yourself rather than dictating too much. 

And again, I'd ask if people could try not be flippant with their comments. I realise it's a complicated subject so tensions can run high but I know a few trans people (none of whom are sporty at all) and it's really not as simple or easy as some of these comments are making it out to be. 

I doubt the female athletes they compete against will think its fair.  If you open this up the system will be abused sooner or later.  

Also surely a male to female rugby player is in danger of causing more damage to opponentns  in tackles and concussion etc.

For me its just a sacrifice the trans people will have to make that they cant compete, certainly at high level sport.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Your comments are fair and my own comment is obviously an extreme example.

I've no issues with Trans people and I've worked with 2 of them before - both at the extreme ends of the spectrum, with one bring 6 foot 2 and a former Rugby league player!

I just don't think that shoe horning them in with normal mainstream sports is the way forward either, it's quite a complex scenario. 

Establishing their own sporting is the way forward IMO, as I think the transgender community will grow and grow...
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 3:50am
Great decision by the irfu. Woman's safety and fairness has to be considered and thankfully it was. My friend who is a high level female weight lifter is sick of Trans people ruining her sport. Hopefully they bring in the ban across the board. Either compete against men or set up a Trans division.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Your comments are fair and my own comment is obviously an extreme example.

I've no issues with Trans people and I've worked with 2 of them before - both at the extreme ends of the spectrum, with one bring 6 foot 2 and a former Rugby league player!

I just don't think that shoe horning them in with normal mainstream sports is the way forward either, it's quite a complex scenario. 

Establishing their own sporting is the way forward IMO, as I think the transgender community will grow and grow...

We probably agree more than not, it's definitely complicated and I'm not even sure how I feel about it really. My instinct about blanket bans is just "bad idea" but I realise that I don't really have a better solution either. Contact sports especially are a thorny issue that's hard to see a way around. 

Interestingly I sort of wonder if this is more of an issue at grassroots level rather than elite. The numbers that would ever make an impact at elite level are truly tiny whereas at grassroots you're more likely to have less regulated competition. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 1:57pm

It's not equality. They believe it's their human right not to be discriminated against because of who they are and what gender they have become. So once they use that card, you can't refuse them, unless you want the reaction I described in the last post.

Equality is about having human rights and having equal responsibilities, it's not simply a case of, Give me what I want as and when I want it, all the time. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic