You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Food standards of the European Union

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food standards of the European Union
    Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 8:57pm
Can anyone on here explain EU contries food standards rules? how they work etc. For example if you were producing food for a supermarket in a EU country would EU food inspectors call to your place of production to make sure your were following the rules correctly? Or is it done internally by the country for the EU?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 9:40pm
The supermarket (i.e. if it was a chain) tend to audit your production facilities and standards and ensure you have certain accreditation before they do business with you i.e. BRC, Fair Trade standards etc. 

Audits can be unannounced as part of the deal. A lot then follow up with all sorts of paperwork relating to your ethical data and practices.   

Specs for products being shipped into various countries and regions can have all sorts of various standards relating to product detail from ingredients (max amounts of x and y) to the way products are dated i.e. numeric dates or month and year etc.  

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Given's zimmerframe View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 10:36pm
Thats roughly what I thought, how does it work though when the food is produced in a country outside the eu?
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 10:43pm
Can’t help there I’m afraid. But more of the same I’d imagine. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 10:04am
You got to look at the EU as a sort of cartel when it comes to food. It protects members interests i.e. EU farmers by limiting what type and the amount of food that can be imported into the bloc. Foods that are allowed in must meet stringent standards set by the EU. the likes of US beef and Chicken are banned because they don't meet EU standards (they pump them full of sh*t) but a secondary reason is to protect EU farmers from imports which keeps the prices in the marketplace at a sustainable level.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:22am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

You got to look at the EU as a sort of cartel when it comes to food. It protects members interests i.e. EU farmers by limiting what type and the amount of food that can be imported into the bloc. Foods that are allowed in must meet stringent standards set by the EU. the likes of US beef and Chicken are banned because they don't meet EU standards (they pump them full of sh*t) but a secondary reason is to protect EU farmers from imports which keeps the prices in the marketplace at a sustainable level.

Plenty of our food is imported from outside the eu, how does the eu ensure that the standards are met by the producers in those countries? Do they agree to send/allow inspectors into those countries? Or do the origin countries do it on behalf of the eu?
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:25am
Environmental health officer here Approve
I can only give the UK pre Brexit overview here, but when food was tpo arrive in to a port etc from outside the EU, sampling would often have been done with these food products to ensure that they met EU standards at the time

500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 11:56am
Originally posted by bogball88 bogball88 wrote:

Environmental health officer here Approve
I can only give the UK pre Brexit overview here, but when food was tpo arrive in to a port etc from outside the EU, sampling would often have been done with these food products to ensure that they met EU standards at the time

interesting, so you are not aware of any checks done by the eu in the country of origin? How often did you come across dodgy produce?
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 12:13pm
Checks done by the EU in country of origin-not that I am aware of, although as previously mentioned large supermarkets etc would do their own auf=dits of producers sending their food in

Dodgy produce-regularly enough, although I am no longer working in the food/import/port side of things any longer
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Given's zimmerframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 1:40pm
So in theory there should be lots more(than before brexit) checks done at irish ports on food produced in the uk for the republic?
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 7:53pm
You sound like your trying to import some dodgy chum products
It would damage this forums' reputation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic