You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UEFA Women's EURO 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 10:55pm
England may well win the World Cup this year as well.  They're beginning to become a real powerhouse in international football, piss easy group too. 
Sponsored Links

gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:42pm
Is it over? thank Christ for that.....fair play and all that but I just could never get in to following/watching it .....for me it's like trying to watch a computer simulation, sterile version of the game holds no interest

I'm sure I'll be told don't watch it then, which is fine I haven't really.....but neither do I continually want to hear about it either which is not easy when trying to follow general sport media ............for me this is akin to a womens hockey team winning an Olympic gold, fine achievement in itself but gets nothing like the exposure
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 11:58pm

LOLLOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 7:44am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

very enjoyable game, the refereeing was top notch too, amount of times she just told players get up and play on, should be a masterclass for the absolute clowns reffing loi every week!
The referee was awful. At one point late in first half the Germans were through but the referee blew for a foul on the English player purely because she just stayed down after losing out for the ball. Poor referee 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

LOLLOL

Fack off Paddy.  She's outta your league.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

It'll be forgotten about by next weekend once the EPL is up and running bar the odd virtue signaling article in the guardian....

maybe in ireland but the womens game is very popular over here and will only gain in popularity after their win yesterday. 
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:14pm
It won't be forgotten by all those who support WSL n WNL here...will promote the game big time across these islands....which can only benefit our players n give them an opportunity to play the game they love professionally.....as we are obviously a bit away from a pro or semi pro League here still.....

Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2022 at 3:06am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It'll be forgotten about by next weekend once the EPL is up and running bar the odd virtue signaling article in the guardian....

maybe in ireland but the womens game is very popular over here and will only gain in popularity after their win yesterday. 

Whats the average WSL attendance currently?  About 2,000?

I think there's a bit of a bandwagon effect going on as there often is with the English public when they do well in anything, even the mens team get 20million-30million viewers during tournaments but FA Cup and Champions League finals only get 5-10 million (i.e. the real football fans).  The attendances will get a bump following this but long term I can't imagine WSL attendances ever averaging over 10,000 on a regular basis.

It will get more women playing which can only be a good thing, but people who talk of the womens game averaging Premier League or even Championship attendances are living in cuckoo land.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Sharpshooter Sharpshooter wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

Whats the average WSL attendance currently?  About 2,000?

I think there's a bit of a bandwagon effect going on as there often is with the English public when they do well in anything, even the mens team get 20million-30million viewers during tournaments but FA Cup and Champions League finals only get 5-10 million (i.e. the real football fans).  The attendances will get a bump following this but long term I can't imagine WSL attendances ever averaging over 10,000 on a regular basis.

It will get more women playing which can only be a good thing, but people who talk of the womens game averaging Premier League or even Championship attendances are living in cuckoo land.

That's very true, but English men's football is almost a total outlier in terms of Europe - the EPL has the biggest average attendance of any league. Even if the WSL got up to 8-10,000 spectators per match, that would be a huge success for them and make it a very viable product and something that would look good on TV.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2022 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

That's very true, but English men's football is almost a total outlier in terms of Europe - the EPL has the biggest average attendance of any league. Even if the WSL got up to 8-10,000 spectators per match, that would be a huge success for them and make it a very viable product and something that would look good on TV.

Not quite, more accurate to state that the PL has the highest aggregated attendances of any European league, The Bundesliga has a higher average per game, but only because their stadia are generally bigger than in England. However with only 18 teams versus the PL's 20, thei total attendances are usually very similar:
https://europeanleagues.com/wp-content/uploads/FINAL-EPFL_FA_18-VERSION-2018.01.12.pdf

I say "usually", since it depends on who gets promoted to the PL eg clubs like Bournemouth (12k) and Brentford (17.5k) bring it down, whereas Leeds (40k) or Forest (30k) bunp it up. What is also relevant is that PL games sell to 95%+ capacity i.e. if they could get bigger stadia (eg Everton, Chelsea), then there'd be no problem filling them and pulling further ahead of Bundesliga attendances.

What is actually more telling is that if it were a separate league of its own, the 24 team English Championship would be the 5th most attended in Europe, behind the PL, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A (just), but ahead of Ligue 1 and Eredivisie etc.

Meanwhile, there is no other league anywhere where some of their 3rd, even 4th, tier clubs can attract regular 5 figure crowds. While the National (5th tier) League is unique in being almost fully professional, with 4 figures crowds as standard.

When you factor in that ticket prices are also the highest in Europe, it only reflects what Arsene Wenger observed after he came to Arsenal, namely that England is easily the most football-obsessed country in the world.

The significance of which for womens football is that there is huge potential to grow the game, if they can manage to exploit it.

Edited by Territorial - 03 Aug 2022 at 3:09pm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Not quite, more accurate to state that the PL has the highest aggregated attendances of any European league, The Bundesliga has a higher average per game, but only because their stadia are generally bigger than in England. However with only 18 teams versus the PL's 20, thei total attendances are usually very similar:

I say "usually", since it depends on who gets promoted to the PL eg clubs like Bournemouth (12k) and Brentford (17.5k) bring it down, whereas Leeds (40k) or Forest (30k) bunp it up. What is also relevant is that PL games sell to 95%+ capacity i.e. if they could get bigger stadia (eg Everton, Chelsea), then there'd be no problem filling them and pulling further ahead of Bundesliga attendances.

What is actually more telling is that if it were a separate league of its own, the 24 team English Championship would be the 5th most attended in Europe, behind the PL, Bundesliga, La Liga and Serie A (just), but ahead of Ligue 1 and Eredivisie etc.

Meanwhile, there is no other league anywhere where some of their 3rd, even 4th, tier clubs can attract regular 5 figure crowds. While the National (5th tier) League is unique in being almost fully professional, with 4 figures crowds as standard.

When you factor in that ticket prices are also the highest in Europe, it only reflects what Arsene Wenger observed after he came to Arsenal, namely that England is easily the most football-obsessed country in the world.

The significance of which for womens football is that there is huge potential to grow the game, if they can manage to exploit it.

Far be it for me to give the English any credit, but this is actually true.  The English are the biggest football fans in the world.  By that I don't just mean supporters of any club, but of the game itself. 

Throughout my travels, pretty much wherever I've seen a game, I've encountered English fans there, as farway as Hong Kong and Japan.  More than any nationality, the English are the most willing to go along to a game as a neutral, not to support either side, but to just enjoy a game of football.  I still remember running into an English stag party in Korea during the 2002 World Cup.  I asked them why they were in South Korea when England were playing in Japan, they said they weren't there to support England, there were simply there to enjoy the World Cup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic