You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Italia 1990 Documentary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheSicilianWanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Italia 1990 Documentary
    Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 5:28pm
Hi all,

My name is Dario and I have a project called The Sicilian Wanderer that connects Sicily and Ireland.
The project is mainly on YouTube, but I'm also active on Facebook and Instagram.

I've started to work on my next documentary, which will be about the Irish football team during Italia 90.
I am looking for people that went to Palermo to see the matches and want to share their memories and memorabilia!

My previous documentary is called "The Italians of the River Lee" and it's about the Italian community in Cork.

Have you been to Palermo for Italia 1990 or know someone that went?
Please reach out to me if you'd like to help with the documentary!

Grazie mille,
Dario
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 7:13pm
I didn't know Cork had an Italian community. I knew Cork and Dublin had sizeable Jewish communities a long time ago, Portobello and Terenure in particular. Cork had a nice wee synagogue but tis no more. Think there's only one synagogue in Ireland now, unfortunately. I had a Jewish lecturer when I was in Maynooth. 

I'm a huge mafia aficionado and it tickles me to think that some big name mobsters in America were/are descended from the same tiny villages as some of the proprietors of the Italian takeaways over here. They're probably related. Everyone's related in those places.

Wish I could be more help, but I was only one years old at the time.

Good luck with your project, I'll be looking into it!
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 7:47pm
Related familys, Jews, Mafia ....
The biggest load of naive waffle I've read on here in a while.

Even my home town of 5K has a small Italian community.
Best of luck with the project. I'm sure there will be some good stories.

Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 8:01pm
Sorry.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by pateen pateen wrote:

Related familys, Jews, Mafia ....
The biggest load of naive waffle I've read on here in a while.

Even my home town of 5K has a small Italian community.
Best of luck with the project. I'm sure there will be some good stories.

LOL

Bukowski View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bukowski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 2:54pm
There was an excellent RTE produced documentary on the Italian "fish and chip shop" community in Ireland that came out a few years back.
Turns out the Italians kept themselves very separate from the wider community and were quite isolated. This was largely because they worked long hours seven days a week, and for their holidays they would travel back to the area close to Naples (I think) where they originally came from, even up to current times.

They got into fish 'n chips because they were itinerant vendors in the north of England catering to the tastes of the working class there and then some of them moved to working in Ireland.
Interesting doc, but also sad. The feeling was they had never settled, just stopped roaming.

I'll try to track down the name, and yes I know it's not directly related to Mario's request.
"The third path to wisdom is experience, and is the most bitter."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2022 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

There was an excellent RTE produced documentary on the Italian "fish and chip shop" community in Ireland that came out a few years back.
Turns out the Italians kept themselves very separate from the wider community and were quite isolated. This was largely because they worked long hours seven days a week, and for their holidays they would travel back to the area close to Naples (I think) where they originally came from, even up to current times.

They got into fish 'n chips because they were itinerant vendors in the north of England catering to the tastes of the working class there and then some of them moved to working in Ireland.
Interesting doc, but also sad. The feeling was they had never settled, just stopped roaming.

I'll try to track down the name, and yes I know it's not directly related to Mario's request.

Know the wan you're on about. Here it is.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic