You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scam calls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scam calls
    Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:42am
Got a call today from a mobile number from Amazon prime and the minute I answered I was told I was being charged 79e for activating the payment LOL.

I'd usually not answer these calls but I was expecting a call so said f**k it and answered it.

Work phone so the money is not coming out of my pocket.

I do be getting some amount of scan calls and texts.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:52am
The amount of scam calls and texts the past year or so has been ridiculous! If I don't have the number saved, I just ignore it and let them text or go to voicemail if they're really looking me.

Feel sorry for the older community who wouldn't be so savvy with this sort of thing though.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 10:39am
I don't even bother answering my landline phone at all any more - I did a few times when I started a few months after the pandemic started and it was all scam or cold calls so I decided just to let it ring out each time. I also registered on the Telephone Preference Service and the calls have gone way down as a result. 

I also have my mobile set to block calls and msgs from withheld/unknown numbers. 

Edited by ConorMac77 - 14 Jan 2022 at 10:40am
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:21am
The ones with mad country codes are easy to spot but the ones from 087 numbers is really annoying.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The ones with mad country codes are easy to spot but the ones from 087 numbers is really annoying.

Sorry I was just calling to see how you were and meet for a beer.  
AKA pedantic kunt
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 11:42am
Reminds me of when I was younger and a girl was bombarding me with calls. Answered the phone straight away and screamed "What the f**k do you want?" Turns out it was my psychologist rearranging an appointment. 
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:43pm
I got a fresh new mobile number in Canada, I was able to select some of the digits in it. I had about 4 scam calls within an hour of leaving the shop Wacko
It would damage this forums' reputation
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 2:26pm
Got an interesting one there. There has been a call coming to my phone a few times from Canada so I avoided it.

Call came in via an irish mobile number and I was debating to answer or not but I did.

It was some Indian guy putting on an American accent saying he was from Canada and he knew my name (Well not full name he was calling Andy instead of andrew which is what I go by on social media). I never confirmed it was me and just asked what it was in relation too and eventually he said it was about some investment opportunities and was asking what email to use to send it. So I just said wrong number and hung up.

They must have got into somewhere where I have my short form name and number but I think I have that usually locked down everywhere.

Probably will have to spend and evening updating all me passwords!

Edited by t_rAndy - 27 Feb 2024 at 2:27pm
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 2:30pm
Are you sure it wasn't Hoskins trying to sell you cryptocurrency? 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Got an interesting one there. There has been a call coming to my phone a few times from Canada so I avoided it.

Call came in via an irish mobile number and I was debating to answer or not but I did.

It was some Indian guy putting on an American accent saying he was from Canada and he knew my name (Well not full name he was calling Andy instead of andrew which is what I go by on social media). I never confirmed it was me and just asked what it was in relation too and eventually he said it was about some investment opportunities and was asking what email to use to send it. So I just said wrong number and hung up.

They must have got into somewhere where I have my short form name and number but I think I have that usually locked down everywhere.

Ive had WhatsApp calls from Pakistan and Sri Lanka in the past couple of weeks which I haven’t answered and blocked the number. Had a load of regular calls from 086 numbers about a month ago which just went dead when I answered. Don’t answer now unless I’m expecting a call or know the caller. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Ive had WhatsApp calls from Pakistan and Sri Lanka in the past couple of weeks which I haven’t answered and blocked the number. Had a load of regular calls from 086 numbers about a month ago which just went dead when I answered. Don’t answer now unless I’m expecting a call or know the caller. 

Yeah it's not worth answering calls from private or numbers that you don't know these days. It is almost always a scam. Let them go to voice mail.  Failed on my own logic this time 

Edited by t_rAndy - 27 Feb 2024 at 2:57pm
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Are you sure it wasn't Hoskins trying to sell you cryptocurrency? 

LOL
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 5:19pm
I was in Spar at lunchtime ordering a roll when the phone went. I didn't recognise the number but I took it anyway. I say hello and then silence so I hung up. They call again 20 secs later and it's the same again. It happens immediately again and this time I tell them to f**k off and don't call me again. This is all while I'm getting my roll. I get a text 2 mins later saying it's the delivery man with my new chair
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic