You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Academies within LOI teams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Academies within LOI teams
    Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 1:24pm
Seems to be lots of good young players coming through at underage in LOI clubs. Obviously lots more work being done within LOI clubs at underage. I heard a good point last week from Will Clarke I think that LOI is now a collection of clubs rather than teams. A club has a number of teams, from all the underage ranks right up to the senior teams.
I did a quick review of the location of LOI clubs around Ireland and did a little map. Yes there is a focus on Dublin with 6 or 7 teams in around it and Drogheda and Dundalk up the road, but overall 1 million people live in Dublin out of 5 million in Ireland so its gonna have a larger proportion.
From the map, the rest of the country isnt too badly served. It isnt feasible to have a team in every county and we have seen with the GAA anyway that just because a county has a team doesnt mean it is gonna be competitive!

So should we be looking for lots of Govt funding for underage coaching, medical staff etc in each LOI team? There are 20 LOI clubs. 5 million euros funding a year gives each one 250k to spend on underage staff etc. And the govt gets some of that money back anyway in terms of tax!

Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:10pm
Be quicker, easier, and probably even better if the FAI funded a full time national academy where lads can get the same level of professional training as they would abroad at clubs.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Be quicker, easier, and probably even better if the FAI funded a full time national academy where lads can get the same level of professional training as they would abroad at clubs.

I think for some, a decent league is a positive Confused
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:20pm

who would they play for? 

greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:21pm

So would this presumably be based in Dublin? How many kids would you have at under 13, under 15, under 17, under 19?

How does a National Academy in Dublin help a seriously talented under 15 lad in Cork for example?

There are great FAI facilities out at Abbotstown, by all means bring the best lads together every now and again from around the country, but in my opinion the week by week work has to be done more locally where the kids can still go to school, stay with their families etc but get great coaching.

Edited by greenshoots - 18 Nov 2021 at 2:22pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by greenshoots greenshoots wrote:

So would this presumably be based in Dublin? How many kids would you have at under 13, under 15, under 17, under 19?

How does a National Academy in Dublin help a seriously talented under 15 lad in Cork for example?

There are great FAI facilities out at Abbotstown, by all means bring the best lads together every now and again from around the country, but in my opinion the week by week work has to be done more locally where the kids can still go to school, stay with their families etc but get great coaching.

Agreed, imo you would need an absolute minimum of 6 regional academies. I think the greater the number of regional academies, the less dilution/defection of talented young players to other codes.
Idah Dream!
greenshoots View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenshoots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Agreed, imo you would need an absolute minimum of 6 regional academies. I think the greater the number of regional academies, the less dilution/defection of talented young players to other codes.

I'm actually arguing against the notion of national / regional academies. For me the best way forward is to create the academy structures within the clubs.

I'm not a LOI supporter at all by the way, no LOI agenda here. I just think if we funded the academy strcutures in clubs, we could have kids training at high levels locally each week. The point I heard last week was that clubs who now have active underage programmes are getting kids / parents to 'belong' to the clubs. An underage kid in Sligo Rovers team for example is gonna want to go on and play for their senior team and his parents, siblings, aunties, uncles etc all become invested in the club too. Eventually that transfers into greater support for the senior team in the club. The standard of football in the league goes up because our best kids are getting great coaching and fitness programmes and the best of the best kids go on to sign pro contracts here with our clubs or get offered deals abroad.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:10pm

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I'm actually arguing against the notion of national / regional academies. For me the best way forward is to create the academy structures within the clubs.

I'm not a LOI supporter at all by the way, no LOI agenda here. I just think if we funded the academy strcutures in clubs, we could have kids training at high levels locally each week. The point I heard last week was that clubs who now have active underage programmes are getting kids / parents to 'belong' to the clubs. An underage kid in Sligo Rovers team for example is gonna want to go on and play for their senior team and his parents, siblings, aunties, uncles etc all become invested in the club too. Eventually that transfers into greater support for the senior team in the club. The standard of football in the league goes up because our best kids are getting great coaching and fitness programmes and the best of the best kids go on to sign pro contracts here with our clubs or get offered deals abroad.

No problem if these academies are located at existing clubs, I can see the merit in it. As long as there is a good geographical spread I'd be happy. Kids/parents shouldnt have to travel for more than an hour to.from such academies.
Idah Dream!
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:23pm
Anyone have kids/nephews/neighbours in those academies? Is it much of a stepup from the heritage junior clubs?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:35pm
https://open.spotify.com/episode/0lEoPUr2nBzJX6xbKDH5Cq?si=Mi72nfmCT0W09kuKHoKBoQ&utm_source=copy-link

That's the Will Clarke podcast. Thought it was a great listen. 

Better financed academies with more full time coaches is the way to go. 
The proposal to have a academy certificate rating and depending on the type of certification you have drives the funding support you would get I think is they way to go. Up to then the clubs to bring their academies up to standard..

Obviously needs business and government support.

We are all of the same goal of where we want to get to (best in class academies, coaching, facilities, competitive league, better stadia, more competitive international team), its just how we achieve it is the difficult part!
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 3:54pm

[/QUOTE]

Ideally yes as it gives a pathway to adult football. Might be an issue with having one in Cork and Cobh but by and large there is a good geographical spread
It's not me it's you:-)
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:32pm
Interesting discussion.

I don't think people appreciate just how much it costs to run a high-quality, professional academy.

You need qualified f-t coaches (plural) and top quality training facilities and pitches etc, and these aren't cheap. You also need to make provision for the academicians' education, which isn't easy (or cheap).

To give an example, a decade ago the EPL introduced an academy system, also covering the 72 x EFL clubs, called the "Elite Player Performance Plan".

This required all 92 clubs to have/set-up an Academy. There were 4 x levels of Academy, with the highest category requiring the highest minimum standards and expenditure (coaches, facilities, playing time etc), down to the fourth category, which was the most basic.

Brentford were one of two League One (i.e. third tier) clubs at the time to introduce a Level 2 Academy. I know this entailed spending a 7 figure sum on a Training Centre/Gym and pitches at a local High School, who would be responsible for the youngsters' education. Thereafter they were spending £2m a year to run the Academy.

Now as it happens, they decided after a few years to scrap it and replace it with a new "B" team concept. The reasons why are (partially) covered here:

Anyhow, I mention it here only to point out that if LOI clubs were only to spend 10% of that sum on their own academies, can they really find £200k per year, every year (after set-up costs)?

Edited by Territorial - 18 Nov 2021 at 11:37pm
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:52pm
At underage, there are also a few teams at u13, 14,15 etc that aren't LOI clubs, like Mayo. It has been a success. It does definitely dilute the schoolboy leagues but it's the price you pay. Having a team in every county would be the absolute best scenario, but I don't think there are many counties without one at this stage 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:55pm

This might be more appropriate/affordable.

I don't know exact details, but a few years ago the IFA set up its own "Club NI" to develop the best young players towards a f-t professional career.

This is organised in conjunction with the Ulster University at Jordanstown, who provide sports and science facilities etc, with the IFA employing the Coaches. Afaik they board 20(?) of the best U-15 and U-16 y.o's in Belfast during thw week, where they go to a local school(s), whilst learning the game in the evenings. Their tuition doesn't just cover education or football, but also "life skills" (i.e. how to look after themselves when they go over to GB).  At weekends, they go back to play for their clubs.

And the next step has been to establish 3 regional centres to assess the best 13, 14 and 15 y.o.s to attend Club NI in turn.

And I'm pleased to say it now seems to be beginning to bear fruit (though not all of these are Club NI graduates):

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:14am
government should invest now so we have a good team to represent us when we are hosting the World Cup in 2030.

That’s what all the other nations going for the World Cup try to do
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 12:29am
The FAI need a lot more Development Officers for a start, going in and coaching in schools especially at the youngest ages is absolutely vital. It's all about creating a positive experience for kids and get them interested in the sport first, then in turn work closely with local junior clubs to offer a pathway.

Personally speaking, I don't think all LOI underage coaches need to go full time or anything but they should definitely be compensated. There should be a full academy director in every LOI club (even clubs without senior sides like Mayo, Kerry, Carlow/Kilkenny etc) and make sure every Manager, Head Coach and Coach in each team gets compensated properly. 

I'm coaching full time in The States at the moment, the standard is a million miles below LOI yet when I was managing a LOI underage side I didn't even get fuel expenses. It makes no sense and it's absolutely no wonder why dozens and dozens of coaches are leaving every year.

Most will work 40/50 hours a week in their day job and then coach 3 nights a week on the field, do 1 or 2 sessions online and then you've a game on the weekend. You're probably talking 20hrs + week with no money? Yet you could manage a junior men's team and make a hundred a week easy.

The above makes for very poor reading when you step back!! 

I mean the talent is there in Ireland, despite competing with the GAA, Rugby and other sports despite our small population but unfortunately it's the access time young players to have good coaching is really holding us back.

Edited by Green Devil - 19 Nov 2021 at 12:37am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
smart man View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
Not so.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smart man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:29pm
some LOI clubs are taking terrible beatings week in week out. Same coaches there for years. Local lads won't play for them. Just a joke.
alive and kicking
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic