You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ireland v Luxembourg Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Not sure what was worse, our orange shirts or the Luxembourg manager's coat

He looks like a shorter, sh*ttier Julian Nagelsmann. Pity someone didn't slap some sense into him and steal it.
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 11:51am
Foot.ie posters, how the fook do you stand pineapple stu? Absolutely ruining the match thread on that forum with his tedious sh*te talk and shouting down anyone who disagrees with him.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Foot.ie posters, how the fook do you stand pineapple stu? Absolutely ruining the match thread on that forum with his tedious sh*te talk and shouting down anyone who disagrees with him.
IS that still going???
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

I see their sad rattled little bastard of a manager still making racist comments about us being British.

What is it about us that brings out this animosity in people? LOL

What's he saying about the end of the match? One big difference to the Aviva in March is that it was played in a totally empty stadium ; if the Irish players quickly disappeared down the tunnel, it's hardly a surprise.

Yeah, I assume he's having a pop on our players going over to applaud and thank the Irish supporters. I could be wrong but this always happens at away games- the players come over and thank the travelling support. And your point on the empty stadium is clear too.

You can understand why he was frustrated I suppose. His side caught us at a low ebb, had a win which probably is one of the highlights of his career and maybe he felt vindicated him in terms of progress under his management. However, with fans in his own stadium we completely reversed the previous result and overtook them in the group. This doesn't excuse his silly and ignorant comments but I think I'd be sore too!

I get that he was annoyed about the disallowed goal and felt it might have changed the whole nature of the game. That's fair enough, but he should really have stuck to that criticism of the ref / VAR. Lashing out at the Irish team and suggesting they somehow cheated Lux out of a result or were unsportsmanlike or whatever is rather OTT.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:01pm

I see their sad rattled little bastard of a manager still making racist comments about us being British.

What's he saying about the end of the match? One big difference to the Aviva in March is that it was played in a totally empty stadium ; if the Irish players quickly disappeared down the tunnel, it's hardly a surprise.

Yeah, I assume he's having a pop on our players going over to applaud and thank the Irish supporters. I could be wrong but this always happens at away games- the players come over and thank the travelling support. And your point on the empty stadium is clear too.

You can understand why he was frustrated I suppose. His side caught us at a low ebb, had a win which probably is one of the highlights of his career and maybe he felt vindicated him in terms of progress under his management. However, with fans in his own stadium we completely reversed the previous result and overtook them in the group. This doesn't excuse his silly and ignorant comments but I think I'd be sore too!

I get that he was annoyed about the disallowed goal and felt it might have changed the whole nature of the game. That's fair enough, but he should really have stuck to that criticism of the ref / VAR. Lashing out at the Irish team and suggesting they somehow cheated Lux out of a result or were unsportsmanlike or whatever is rather OTT.

Was the disallowed goal not fairly disallowed for the push which took Duffy out? Or was the push fairly tame? 

I assume he didn't make reference to Idah being absolutely bundled over in the box in the first half with a shove.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:05pm

Was the disallowed goal not fairly disallowed for the push which took Duffy out? Or was the push fairly tame? 

I assume he didn't make reference to Idah being absolutely bundled over in the box in the first half with a shove.

The push was tame, but it was enough to prevent Duffy heading the ball which he was clearly going to do, so it's a foul all day every day. Why the ref didnt blow it up straight away is on him, but it was absolutely a foul. The Idah shove was a stonewall penalty!
Idah Dream!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 1:23pm

I thought it was a free out myself (you see these fouls given for pushing in the penalty area a dozen times a game). Not sure why he didn't just stick to criticising the ref's decision and instead went off on a lengthy rant against the Irish team for some perceived injustice.
Yoco Santos View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoco Santos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Why the ref didnt blow it up straight away is on him, but it was absolutely a foul. 

I know you arent saying the ref was wrong here but the ref did the right thing. He initially puts the whistle to his mouth but doesn't blow for the foul. He let play finish out and then blew for the free - meaning VAR could overturn his decision if it was incorrect and the goal would stand. 

If the ref on Thursday had of done the same, VAR would have had the opportunity to review the Keane/Patricio tussle and decide if it actually was a free out or Dohertys goal should stand.

The RTE commentators are constantly giving out about this and linesmen keeping their flag down to let play continue and then put their flag up after the play has stopped.... its very simple!
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by bundy bundy wrote:

I have to say I was one of Kenny’s critics and I suppose I still am but I have to say he’s edging closer to getting me onside. I thought it was a good, professional performance tonight and I thought the team played some lovely football at times. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen Irish players demand the ball and that’s something that’s become very evident since he’s taken over. Are the players world beaters? Absolutely not but neither are the likes of Wales - Ramsey and Bale aside obviously - and they’re qualifying for tournaments and getting good results.

I’d give Kenny another go at it. Who else is there to come in?

Spoiled for choice on the menu really. 

Allardyce, Bruce, Hughes, Hughton, Jewell, Pulis, O'Neill and if you haven't had enough of him yet, 

McCarthy. 

JUST
HOOF IT

The game was a dead rubber so in terms of the group, ultimately the result doesn't matter. But it is the last 5 games unbeaten in the group, and consecutive away wins for the first time in 5 years. If it was at the start of the campaign rather than the end, we would have much more than 3rd spot to fight for. We've already come a fair way from clinging onto a point for dear life in Georgia, in not 1 but, 2 consecutive campaigns.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:08pm
Georgia beat playoff qualifiers Sweden the last day incidentally, reasonably comfortably judging by the scoreline. They're probably not the best example to use here.

Last night's game was very important, albeit not in terms of qualification. So, by that measure, the 0-3 win was very important also, and atoned for what happened in the Dublin fixture - just as the win in Azerbaijan did last month.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Yoco Santos Yoco Santos wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Why the ref didnt blow it up straight away is on him, but it was absolutely a foul. 

I know you arent saying the ref was wrong here but the ref did the right thing. He initially puts the whistle to his mouth but doesn't blow for the foul. He let play finish out and then blew for the free - meaning VAR could overturn his decision if it was incorrect and the goal would stand. 

If the ref on Thursday had of done the same, VAR would have had the opportunity to review the Keane/Patricio tussle and decide if it actually was a free out or Dohertys goal should stand.

The RTE commentators are constantly giving out about this and linesmen keeping their flag down to let play continue and then put their flag up after the play has stopped.... its very simple!

I didn't know my brother posted here. He said the exact same thing to me verbatim when I was laughing about how sh*te the referee was.
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:18pm
The atmosphere at Windsor last night was superb, it is a proper football stadium.
Constant, incessant chanting last night, and not just the 2 chants we seem to have LOL
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

The atmosphere at Windsor last night was superb, it is a proper football stadium.
Constant, incessant chanting last night, and not just the 2 chants we seem to have LOL
You’d fit in well up there!
TooOldForThis View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TooOldForThis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by TooOldForThis TooOldForThis wrote:

You’d fit in well up there!
Thank you!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 2:02pm
LOL
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 222324
  Share Topic