Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The crowd tonight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Had great seats in the end as NR had spare seats beside him on the back wall in 114 .
Now there was was a couple in front of us who were smoking well something , look it was not dope but it was in a roll up and sparked quite a bit and a smell of piro about it . Mrs Claret said one of the lads was turning white .
Anyone with ideas what it was and where can i score it fromWink 

Murph I think that was the smell from tge smoke flares that drifted - it was like the smell of cap guns 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Sponsored Links

Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Decent atmosphere alright, a very mixed crowd though as you say. The pints was both a blessing and a curse as you said was nice to enjoy you at your seat but there was a few around me in 105 who were in and out like they were at their local.

There was also a rather annoying booer behind me, who was playing the big man to those around him calling Ronaldo all the names under the sun. 

Also funnily despite him saying I go to all the games, I heard him say if we draw then do we need to beat Serbia on Sunday? (and just to be clear he wasn't talking about Portugal as he mentioned it a few times). 

Also hate to mention it but some lads lack of mask wearing and following basic Covid safety protocols too really makes you realise why case numbers are so high, I'd put good money on them being anti vaxxers.

If they're outside, masks are not required as the risk is negligible, so they're not worn. I wouldn't wear them either inside or outside as I'm fully vaccinated with 95% protection, so I trust it to do it's job. If it's still not good enough, then nothing else will help either. 

As regards the rest, if people are just attending Ireland games to drink the devils buttermilk under their seats, and/or to cheer for the opposition, they should not be there. No other nations fans turn up to games for any of those reasons, nor should we.

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Nobody knows a stranger's personal situation; so just be a good human and assume the worst. 

That's not a good human, that's someone consumed by fear. That's what has us in the situation we're in. It's why we lost the hosting of the Euros. Everyone terrified of being around everyone else. The survival rate from the virus is over 97%, that was before we all got our vaccines.

It's dangerous to assume or suspect that someone has a medical issue, physical or otherwise, without proof. Its no way to live a normal life either. 

Clown 
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Decent atmosphere alright, a very mixed crowd though as you say. The pints was both a blessing and a curse as you said was nice to enjoy you at your seat but there was a few around me in 105 who were in and out like they were at their local.

There was also a rather annoying booer behind me, who was playing the big man to those around him calling Ronaldo all the names under the sun. 

Also funnily despite him saying I go to all the games, I heard him say if we draw then do we need to beat Serbia on Sunday? (and just to be clear he wasn't talking about Portugal as he mentioned it a few times). 

Also hate to mention it but some lads lack of mask wearing and following basic Covid safety protocols too really makes you realise why case numbers are so high, I'd put good money on them being anti vaxxers.

If they're outside, masks are not required as the risk is negligible, so they're not worn. I wouldn't wear them either inside or outside as I'm fully vaccinated with 95% protection, so I trust it to do it's job. If it's still not good enough, then nothing else will help either. 

As regards the rest, if people are just attending Ireland games to drink the devils buttermilk under their seats, and/or to cheer for the opposition, they should not be there. No other nations fans turn up to games for any of those reasons, nor should we.

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Nobody knows a stranger's personal situation; so just be a good human and assume the worst. 

That's not a good human, that's someone consumed by fear. That's what has us in the situation we're in. It's why we lost the hosting of the Euros. Everyone terrified of being around everyone else. The survival rate from the virus is over 97%, that was before we all got our vaccines.

It's dangerous to assume or suspect that someone has a medical issue, physical or otherwise, without proof. Its no way to live a normal life either. 

Clown 

People being asked to wear masks in open air stadiums when we are one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, is the most stupid sh*t imaginable. It's the kind of policy that will lead to people not listening to the rest of your guidance because it's so stupid.

If people want to wear them though there's nothing stopping them and if they aren't then they shouldn't be vilified. The irish media have done some number on people over here. People are going to need to make up their own mind on what level of risk they are comfortable with.

The original posters theory that 'they must be anti-vaxxers' is quite telling given our vaccination rate is one of the best in the world and the amount of people who haven't been vaccinated is minute compared to elsewhere. But listen to the media and you'd swear there are millions of 'anti-vaxxers' walking around.

I've been to 6 matches in the UK this season across 3 different clubs and there hasn't been a mask worn in the whole stadium. I've been to Copenhagen 3 weeks ago (not at a match), no masks. They must be a different species in those countries. Maybe they are all 'anti-vaxxers' LOL LOL
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

People being asked to wear masks in open air stadiums when we are one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, is the most stupid sh*t imaginable. It's the kind of policy that will lead to people not listening to the rest of your guidance because it's so stupid.

If people want to wear them though there's nothing stopping them and if they aren't then they shouldn't be vilified. The irish media have done some number on people over here. People are going to need to make up their own mind on what level of risk they are comfortable with.

The original posters theory that 'they must be anti-vaxxers' is quite telling given our vaccination rate is one of the best in the world and the amount of people who haven't been vaccinated is minute compared to elsewhere. But listen to the media and you'd swear there are millions of 'anti-vaxxers' walking around.

I've been to 6 matches in the UK this season across 3 different clubs and there hasn't been a mask worn in the whole stadium. I've been to Copenhagen 3 weeks ago (not at a match), no masks. They must be a different species in those countries. Maybe they are all 'anti-vaxxers' LOL LOL

The USA UK and Brazil this year, with hundreds of thousands dead in those  nations, have all held F1 races this year, with hundreds of thousands more attending them with no masks and no social distancing in sight. The nation of India was been wiped out 6 months ago now they're back watching their cricket games at full capacity, with masks few and far between. That's called getting on with life, by living with the virus. 

With less than 10 deaths per day, we're told to wear them at outdoor stadiums, and preferably stay at home altogether as you never know, the national death toll might scale the heights of 11 per day. 

Edited by planning - 21 Nov 2021 at 1:46pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2021 at 9:44pm

The USA UK and Brazil this year, with hundreds of thousands dead in those  nations, have all held F1 races this year, with hundreds of thousands more attending them with no masks and no social distancing in sight. The nation of India was been wiped out 6 months ago now they're back watching their cricket games at full capacity, with masks few and far between. That's called getting on with life, by living with the virus. 

With less than 10 deaths per day, we're told to wear them at outdoor stadiums, and preferably stay at home altogether as you never know, the national death toll might scale the heights of 11 per day. 
Those countries have a far bigger acceptance to death than we do. They have thousands killed in wars each year, thousands murdered, in Ireland someone is murdered and it's front page news for a week. I'm oay with not accepting people die unnecessarily.
Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Those countries have a far bigger acceptance to death than we do. They have thousands killed in wars each year, thousands murdered, in Ireland someone is murdered and it's front page news for a week. I'm oay with not accepting people die unnecessarily.
There is an "acceptable" level of death with all human activity though. Every time we hop in the car in the morning comes with acceptance that people will die because of this activity. It's the same with COVID, with the payoff being a normal open society.

We have gone off the deep end in this country on COVID I feel. We've had 4 capacity events at open air arenas since March 2020 and have essentially shut nightclubs down after 3 weeks when only vaccinated could use them anyway. Fast forward a few weeks from now and we'll likely be in another lockdown with events being in empty stadiums again. Only this time with 90%+ vaccinated.

I'm not saying we dive in like the UK has but our reaction to COVID as a nation is laughable.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Pinginí Pinginí wrote:

We have gone off the deep end in this country on COVID I feel. We've had 4 capacity events at open air arenas since March 2020 and have essentially shut nightclubs down after 3 weeks when only vaccinated could use them anyway. Fast forward a few weeks from now and we'll likely be in another lockdown with events being in empty stadiums again. Only this time with 90%+ vaccinated.

I'm not saying we dive in like the UK has but our reaction to COVID as a nation is laughable.

I see this opinion regularly.
It strikes me that those who voice it fail to look at how other nations have, and are, reacting to Covid.

Any objective view of how most European countries have and are handling Covid now will show you that our reaction has been far from laughable.

From the UK and Sweden's massive death-rates (compared to their neighbours), to Eastern Europe now med-evaccing pateints due to lack of ICU capacity, how anyone can say Ireland's reaction to Covid has been laughable is either willfully ignorant or plain old ignorant.

Also, our use of the work 'Lockdown' to us having to wear masks here and there or whatever is laughable compared to other places where it means 'do not leave your home or face arrest'.

Some measure of what is happening elsewhere goes a long way.

Pinginí View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinginí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

It strikes me that those who voice it fail to look at how other nations have, and are, reacting to Covid.

Any objective view of how most European countries have and are handling Covid now will show you that our reaction has been far from laughable.

From the UK and Sweden's massive death-rates (compared to their neighbours), to Eastern Europe now med-evaccing pateints due to lack of ICU capacity, how anyone can say Ireland's reaction to Covid has been laughable is either willfully ignorant or plain old ignorant.

Also, our use of the work 'Lockdown' to us having to wear masks here and there or whatever is laughable compared to other places where it means 'do not leave your home or face arrest'.

Did you forget the part where we weren't allowed 5km from our house for a large chunk of the last two years? How people were being fined for going to the airport or walking on a beach alone?

Since when has lockdown meant wearing masks here and there in Ireland? The peak of our freedom last summer was €9 meal in a restaurant then back to an overpriced hotel by 11pm.

The hesitancy has been laughable and the government are changing rules on a weekly basis. We were having "test" events where people were in pens outside at the peak of summer 2021, when everybody else was beginning to ease. Now we're facing restrictions again after a month of relative easing. 
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 3:31pm

Did you forget the part where we weren't allowed 5km from our house for a large chunk of the last two years? How people were being fined for going to the airport or walking on a beach alone?

Since when has lockdown meant wearing masks here and there in Ireland? The peak of our freedom last summer was €9 meal in a restaurant then back to an overpriced hotel by 11pm.

The hesitancy has been laughable and the government are changing rules on a weekly basis. We were having "test" events where people were in pens outside at the peak of summer 2021, when everybody else was beginning to ease. Now we're facing restrictions again after a month of relative easing. 

Nail on the head. Last to open, first to close. Welcome to Ireland Confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 3:41pm
Seriously, the 5km limit could be easily bypassed and as for people being fined, I'd say you could count on one hand how many that happened to.
And certainly wasn't for a large chunk of the last two years, first introduced in Oct '20 and gone ages now.

As for the meal-restrictions and whatnot, they are hardly comparable to 'locked at home' orders with police and soldiers on the streets.

Our lockdowns were mild enough when you see wehat happened for residents of Northern Italy not allowed on the street at all for weeks on end, and then you go to Aisa where there were military-enforced curfews.

As for your last point, we are in a changing situation so of course our rules are changing to adapt to that - anyone with a scientific background can easily understand that as new info becomes available, new methods can be embraced, sometimes contradictory to what went before.
This is what should happen, and we have done it very well.

Look, some rules are nonsense and we haven't been percfect - far from it, but nobody has.

As for this:
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Just go read up as to how Eastern Europe are doing...

Edited by Fozz - 22 Nov 2021 at 3:43pm
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:18pm

Seriously, the 5km limit could be easily bypassed and as for people being fined, I'd say you could count on one hand how many that happened to.
And certainly wasn't for a large chunk of the last two years, first introduced in Oct '20 and gone ages now.

As for the meal-restrictions and whatnot, they are hardly comparable to 'locked at home' orders with police and soldiers on the streets.

Our lockdowns were mild enough when you see wehat happened for residents of Northern Italy not allowed on the street at all for weeks on end, and then you go to Aisa where there were military-enforced curfews.

As for your last point, we are in a changing situation so of course our rules are changing to adapt to that - anyone with a scientific background can easily understand that as new info becomes available, new methods can be embraced, sometimes contradictory to what went before.
This is what should happen, and we have done it very well.

Look, some rules are nonsense and we haven't been percfect - far from it, but nobody has.

As for this:
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

Just go read up as to how Eastern Europe are doing...

Up to July there were 22k covid fines issued. You must have one very big hand
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 5:31pm
I see it pretty simply. This is a highly contagious disease with the potential for serious illness. I don't want to get sick. And I don't want to unwittingly pass the disease on to someone else if I'm asymptomatic. 

So I wore a mask at the Portugal game and I'll wear one at the FAI cup final this weekend. Big deal.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 9:44pm

Those countries have a far bigger acceptance to death than we do.

No country accepts death. They just deal with it in different ways. The brits are not panicking with 100-200+ deaths per day. We have shut the entire country down over just a handful of that number per week, and will probably do so again. It's complete and utter hysteria, over a virus with a very low fatality rate before vaccination, and an even lower one after it. 

Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

I see it pretty simply. This is a highly contagious disease with the potential for serious illness. I don't want to get sick. And I don't want to unwittingly pass the disease on to someone else if I'm asymptomatic. 

So I wore a mask at the Portugal game and I'll wear one at the FAI cup final this weekend.

I see it pretty simply as well. If you're that worried about transmission sitting outside in the freezing cold with minimal risk, then you would be better off watching the games at home. Nobody wants to get sick, but risk is part of everyday life. There's nothing we can do but accept it and get on with it. 

We've seen across the water that spikes are short term, and stabilise again within days. The English are now treating it like a mass flu outbreak. Unless we follow suit, we're never going to be able to cope with it. 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Up to July there were 22k covid fines issued. You must have one very big hand

Haha, OK, fair enough on that point.
Even with that, bar for a few weeks early on in the 5km limit, we have not been too sorely restricted in ways many others have been.

We're lucky, in many regards.
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2021 at 11:59pm

No country accepts death. They just deal with it in different ways. The brits are not panicking with 100-200+ deaths per day. We have shut the entire country down over just a handful of that number per week, and will probably do so again. It's complete and utter hysteria, over a virus with a very low fatality rate before vaccination, and an even lower one after it. 

So I wore a mask at the Portugal game and I'll wear one at the FAI cup final this weekend.

I see it pretty simply as well. If you're that worried about transmission sitting outside in the freezing cold with minimal risk, then you would be better off watching the games at home. Nobody wants to get sick, but risk is part of everyday life. There's nothing we can do but accept it and get on with it. 

We've seen across the water that spikes are short term, and stabilise again within days. The English are now treating it like a mass flu outbreak. Unless we follow suit, we're never going to be able to cope with it. 

The UK
Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:27am

I'm minimising my risk (and yours) while still 'accepting it and getting on with it'. Lots of people say 'sure you could get run over by a bus tomorrow'. Well that's why you look each way before you cross the road.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 10:46am

There hasn't been less than 30,000 new cases in a single day in the UK since September. That spike should stabilise any day now.

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic