You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mark Sykes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 2:01pm
Great stuff, hopefully in the next squad. Always comes across as a decent fella and making an Ireland squad means so much to him. 
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Excellent assist for the second as well, he has a great low cross ball in him, great at finding the area at the edge of the six yard box that is just out of the keeper's reach.

Bristol City have a very decent team this year, could make a run at the top 6. Sykes should probably be in the senior squad.

Ahead of whom? I think the challenge is his position. Has played wing back, midfield, right of midfield three and wide forward. And is he wide forward today? I don't disagree with you too much but there was a time when I thought he should be in as a wing back and now we play with two strikers and he is playing well as part of a front three. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 2:21pm
He played wide right today. Think he'd be a support forward the way we set up if we're not playing wingers. There's probably a question as to whether we do need seven central midfielders in the squad or whether Sykes (or maybe Szmodics) would offer something a bit different. Probably a tight call between those two, McGrath and Hendrick for the last few couple of squad places.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 11:14am
Highlights from the game yesterday. Nice goal and assist.

https://twitter.com/jbcfc__/status/1698040340077301863
84ccfc84 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84ccfc84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 11:27am
against teams of a similar level to ourselves, he should be rwb imo. gives us something going forward and can defend too. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 11:46am
Think we just need to move away from playing with WBs and play these wide players like Ogbene, Sykes, and even Festy as wingers instead.

I know Festy is playing RWB at club level but these lads will offer us more playing RW than RWB.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Think we just need to move away from playing with WBs and play these wide players like Ogbene, Sykes, and even Festy as wingers instead.

I know Festy is playing RWB at club level but these lads will offer us more playing RW than RWB.

I feel like this is true. I don't feel we need a partner for Ferguson. I think we need one or two midfielders making late runs into the box like Knight or playing ball through to him like Smallbone. And even when we play 3-4-3 with two wide players up front then we are in serious issues in midfield. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 1:24pm
Bring back 4-4-2 I say but if we do have a good few friendlies coming up then any formation with a back four should be tried out.

Use them to work on playing with a back four again and can always go back to three at the back come NLs if needs be. Need to work on having a plan B. Use these friendlies for that plan B and blooding new players in certain positions like FB.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 2:07pm
Can only go back to 4-4-2 if we're planning to go long ball again and skip the midfield. Basically play Trap tactics, two centre mids sitting protecting the back 4 and launch it up to Ferguson and whoever his strike partner is. But I think we have moved on from that for better or worse, so it needs to be three in midfield.
Greener92 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greener92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 8:55pm
Scored Bristol’s third tonight against Plymouth 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2023 at 10:08pm
Going well, has responded well to his omission from the last squad. Think he can win more caps in the future.
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2023 at 4:45pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 5:49pm
Scored the winning goal against Middlesbrough earlier today, thought he done well the other night too for us. Probably deserves more of a look in in the future.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2023 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Scored the winning goal against Middlesbrough earlier today, thought he done well the other night too for us. Probably deserves more of a look in in the future.

Liked the look of him the other night. Good touch. Dynamic. If he can keep adding goals to his game he could be a real option. 
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2023 at 9:14pm
Scores tonight and assisted by Knight.
darman28 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darman28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2024 at 2:29pm
Sykes seems to be back from his injury. Made the bench today and for the last match against Southampton.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic